The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Carson Soucy

He's put up respectable #'s being a 3rd pairing defenseman his whole career. Would he be able to handle added minutes if he was to be on the 2nd pair? Even last year, he was the #6 d-man for Seattle based on avg ice time as he averaged just 16:18 per game.

• Cheers 1

For a team that struggled to kill penalties, do they really want to add a player that is going to cause them to spend more time on the PK? Soucy is an elite penalty taker. He's not that young either (29 in July). He's an option but some of these numbers being thrown around are a bit rich.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

For a team that struggled to kill penalties, do they really want to add a player that is going to cause them to spend more time on the PK? Soucy is an elite penalty taker. He's not that young either (29 in July). He's an option but some of these numbers being thrown around are a bit rich.

Soucy will come cheaper in term and cap hit compared to Graves, so I rather go with the cheaper option as long as the term and cap hit are reasonable. We could go the trade route to get a D also, maybe someone like Edmundson out of Montreal in a deal around Beauvillier??

7 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Soucy will come cheaper in term and cap hit compared to Graves, so I rather go with the cheaper option as long as the term and cap hit are reasonable. We could go the trade route to get a D also, maybe someone like Edmundson out of Montreal in a deal around Beauvillier??

I'd go cheaper, but it depends how much you save versus the value of the player.

Soucy and Nemeth and our LHD would be solid.  Bring back Schenn please.

Hughes-Schenn

Soucy-Hronek

Nemeth-Myers

I'd be really happy with this D-core.  Tons of size and nastiness to go with it.  The 2 offensive puck movers are top tier (Hughes and Hronek).

I really like him but he doesn't consistently play 20+ minutes, he's a bottom pairing guy on a deep team. He might step up but also like Dickinson/Poolman, he might not be good enough.

Hope we're in on some bigger fish. Soucy is one of the best bottom pairing D in the league but he'd be a pretty average 2nd pairing guy.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

How would that work? We don't have much cap space after Soucy unless we are getting rid of salary in the same trade

We have tons of space, and will have more

Poolman and Pearson are LTIR. If not, Poolman would have been bought out (500k cap hit for buyout).

12m for:

1. Soucy (3m)

2. Reilly (3m)

3. Carlo (4.1m)

Theyre not done yet either, still too many wingers, one is getting moved. Even if it means some retention or attaching a pick. Though I think if its Beauvillier we wont have to part with much/anything. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I really like him but he doesn't consistently play 20+ minutes, he's a bottom pairing guy on a deep team. He might step up but also like Dickinson/Poolman, he might not be good enough.

Hope we're in on some bigger fish. Soucy is one of the best bottom pairing D in the league but he'd be a pretty average 2nd pairing guy.

I like Soucy but more as part of a bottom pair, possibly with Bear or someone like him once Myers moves on.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Soucy was the dude that was beefin with Garland and Miller last season right? Haha

Pearson and him fought last season and I believe Pearson injured his hand the same game (I don’t think from the fight).

Soucy was that guy starting shit in the bubble playoffs with Minnesota. 

• Like 1