The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2023 Draft Preview: Pressure is on for Allvin to use precious picks wisely

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Future?

Pettersson

Danielson

Raty

There's no telling about Raty but if this is the plan, whether Danielson is the pick or somebody else, it would be a good one.

In the short term, Miller would be the 2C and they still need a 3C until this years pick is ready to play in the NHL.  Longer term, Miller moves back to wing.

I just hope there is a plan, not riding by the seat of someone's pants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

In a pre-salary cap world that makes sense or if we are a team that was even close to being a playoff contender.

What does Hanefin want when he renews in a year?  $4.95M next year and then what?  The moon!

I'd rather pick up a couple of supporting defenders who could fit into the top 4 at $3M or so

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

That article lost me when they talked about pressure on PA.

PA has no pressure to use the pick wisely.

He can go numerous ways and everyone is positive til we know how the player develop.

There is only a few picks that are a guarantee wich means no pressure at all…

48 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What does Hanefin want when he renews in a year?  $4.95M next year and then what?  The moon!

I'd rather pick up a couple of supporting defenders who could fit into the top 4 at $3M or so

I wasn’t arguing for Hanifin. With Hronek here we can’t afford his $5M much less his raise. 

4 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

I have a feeling the Capitals will take Michkov if he’s available.

They’ve had success getting players from Russia to come over.

I am not sure about this. They have already drafted Miroshnichenko last year. 

Over the last decade we're the 4th worst team in the entire league.  We've been one of the highest spending teams as well.

Let this statement sink in.  Like really let it permeate your entire cerebral cortex.  

How damning is this to know?  Like...how can we constantly retool via free agency and by poorly timed or poorly thought out trades?

Damn....

When the Vancouver Canucks selected Jonathan Lekkerimäki 15th in last year’s draft, he became not only the National Hockey League team’s first pick in the first-round since 2019, but also the only player it has chosen in the top 40 since then.

The Canucks had no first-round picks in 2020 and 2021, no second-rounders in 2020 and 2022, and no third-round pick in 2021.  No wonder their draft-prospects pipeline is sparse, particularly devoid of high-end candidates to play in the NHL

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

It really worries me that they'll see the #11OA as an asset they can dangle to address their terrible defense and/or lack of center depth.

Trade the future for being competitive now has been Aquaman's mantra since forever sadly. 

Pick 11, Lekkerimaki, Hoglander and Garland with a 4th for Karlsson with 25% retained.

Because "retool"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I wasn’t arguing for Hanifin. With Hronek here we can’t afford his $5M much less his raise. 

I guess that I mis-understood.

I think that they'll be ok with Hughes, Hronek, a couple of mid level salaries and a couple for 2M or less.  That's how I think they should structure the D salary-wise.  

Of course Myers is likely gone at the TDL

The Canucks since 2005 are dead last in having prospects from round 2 onwards play 100 games in the NHL.

Dead. Last.

4%. 

Some of that is on the team too, because they outright refuse to develop and give players a chance to learn at the NHL level. And when they do this, they trade them away immediately. 

On 6/20/2023 at 6:56 PM, Crabcakes said:

Didn't we just go through this bc we had too many 5-8 million dollar players results g in trading Horvat