The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Here's my synopsis of watching about 8 games of the kid.

I like this player, just not when Benson was on the board. Regardless, here is why I like him as a player: 

Pros: 

Great skating. Has good acceleration and agility and tends to use it well. One of the better skaters in the draft.

Active defenseman. Engaged. This is extremely important on defense. Likes to battle a lot and will challenge along the wall often. He is not a fan of giving up the blue line easily. Will tie up sticks and compete in front of the net.

Size. Uses his size well and will throw hits. Not afraid to engage in these types of scenarios.

Has poise with the puck. 

Defensively responsible. Anticipates when transitions are about to occur on turnovers. This is where his defensive IQ shines. Elects to be safer than too risky. 

Decent along the walls defensively. 

Seems to have a knack for shooting around screens. 

Cons: 

His offense is nothing spectacular. Very very simple game. Has great edgework but has yet to incorporate it into his offense. He should have a much higher ceiling considering his skating ability but he isn't a huge roamer, doesn't like to be super deceptive.

Sometimes overcommits. Because he's a physical defenseman he likes to engage quite a bit with the body but sometimes doesn't lead with his stick the way he needs to in certain situations. I'm sure this will get ironed out under good coaching. Against a team who excels in give and go's he will need to adapt accordingly. Overall his defensive IQ is certainly above par for his age though. 

Has poise, but sometimes too much poise. It's not super often, but he is prone to holding onto the puck too long and on zone exits does some silly things like instead of breaking out he turns back in his own zone despite ample opportunity to wheel outwards. Just sometimes looks as if he doesn't know what to do with the puck. This is pretty rare but certainly does show up from time to time.

Not super dynamic. 

Ratings:

Skating: 8/10

Defensive IQ: 8/10

Offensive IQ: 6/10

Tenacity: 7.5/10

Motor: 8/10

Shot: 6/10 

Puck Handling: 5/10

Vision: 5/10

Passing Ability: 6.5/10

Creativity: 4/10

Offensive Processing Speed: 5/10

Defensive Processing Speed: 7/10

Anticipation: 8.5/10

Decision Making on Offense: 6/10

Decision Making on Defense: 8/10

NHL Readiness: 7/10

Personal Projection: 

Ceiling: Top 3 Defenseman

Ceiling chance: 60%

Floor: Depth defenseman 

Floor chance: 10% (I don't think he will end up a depth defenseman unless he can't figure out timing and the speed of play at the NHL level but I think he will be alright with this in a few years)

Will need a couple years before transitioning to the NHL.

Where I expect him to end up: Top 3 - Top 4 Defenseman depending on the quality of team.

Comparable: an upgraded version of Elias Petterson the Defenseman

He significantly improved from the start of the season to the end of the season but I still have concerns about the timing of his aggression and his decision making with the puck. I don't believe he's a franchise changer by any means but he should be steady as long as he cleans up some of his decision making on breakouts. He showed growth in this area so hopefully that continues. I personally would have waited until later in the draft but I don't hate the player or think he has a high bust potential. I think we are gonna really like this kid when he's playing for us if he pans out. My only gripe is when he was taken, that's all. At pick 11 I prefer bigger game changing players but that's just preference. 

What are you basing all that on? I see holes in it all over the place.

Shooting 6/10? Uh uh.. at least 7.5 and it's only because he doesn't shoot enough not because he doesn't have a good shot.

Creativity a 4?? Who are you? Quadrelli or something? 

Offensive processing is just under 7-8 as well, that's why he has a good first pass. 

Same with passing ability, saw him spring guys free for a breakaway, threading a long needle between opposing players. 

Puck handling and vision are higher too, or he wouldn't have a good quick first break out pass.

I see a lot more potential in him but we'll see won't we? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nave said:

Dude is sick.

Yeah, dude. Could be an absolute steal. He's got an NHL dman frame to him already as well and the mindset to go with it.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

If you don't watch highlight videos and actually scout the kid you'd understand why he lacks dynamic ability. 

Just because he does something the odd time and then goes games without doing again doesn't mean he is as dynamic as Quinn Hughes, who does it literally every game. 

Here's the thing: you watched eight games of him compared to the Nucks scouting department who watched and scouted him closely all year. They see his highlights as well and see he has all the tools to be something special beside Hughes one day, and that he's only 18yo. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, icycold said:

What are you basing all that on? I see holes in it all over the place.

Shooting 6/10? Uh uh.. at least 7.5 and it's only because he doesn't shoot enough not because he doesn't have a good shot.

Creativity a 4?? Who are you? Quadrelli or something? 

Offensive processing is just under 7-8 as well, that's why he has a good first pass. 

Same with passing ability, saw him spring guys free for a breakaway, threading a long needle between opposing players. 

Puck handling and vision are higher too, or he wouldn't have a good quick first break out pass.

I see a lot more potential in him but we'll see won't we? 

To get a 10 you have to be in the upper echelon of each tier. McDavid's skating is a 10. Ovi's shot is a 10. Datsyuk's puck handling is a 10. 

5 is average.

Don't get so triggered, it's a subjective rating system.

He doesn't have a bomb like Edler did. I'd give that a 9. He isn't dangling through players consistently. He's still a prospect with lots of room to grow. If he was 8's and 9's in everything he would be in the NHL next year.

You act as if this kid who put up 25 points in J20 is the second coming of Quinn Hughes. Temper your expectations after watching a single highlight video. 

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Yeah, dude. Could be an absolute steal. He's got an NHL dman frame to him already as well and the mindset to go with it.

Here's the thing: you watched eight games of him compared to the Nucks scouting department who watched and scouted him closely all year. They see his highlights as well and see he has all the tools to be something special beside Hughes one day, and that he's only 18yo. 

Where did I say I don't expect him to compliment Hughes well? I'm just saying let's stop comparing this kid to Hughes because you look moronic doing it. 

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

To get a 10 you have to be in the upper echelon of each tier. McDavid's skating is a 10. Ovi's shot is a 10. Datsyuk's puck handling is a 10. 

5 is average.

He doesn't have a bomb like Edler did. I'd give that a 9. He isn't dangling through players consistently. He's still a prospect with lots of room to grow. If he was 8's and 9's in everything he would be in the NHL next year.

You act as if this kid who put up 25 points in J20 is the second coming of Quinn Hughes. Temper your expectations after watching a single highlight video. 

Dude it was hardly just one video, I spent over an hour looking at videos but I pointed out one of them that was the best non biased it hyped and I'd suggest you do the same and look for what we're discussing about him and you might just go, hang on yes I can see that. 

Take it as a dare if you like for motivation idk . 

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Where did I say I don't expect him to compliment Hughes well? I'm just saying let's stop comparing this kid to Hughes because you look moronic doing it. 

Where did I compare him, I never said he was as good as Hughes anywhere there lol 

I said he does have Hughes like qualities and he does, is he Hughes or as good as? Certainly not BUT if you take a closer look... 

7 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

So saying he shows signs of similar attributes to an NHL player is off limits or else be accused of being a moron? 

12 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

I'm likening him to a Swedish Adam Foote with better skating and eventually better offensive skills. Potentially nasty like Foote, someone who'll knock you down and stand and stare at you.

Willander, meet Mr. Foote and Mr. Gonchar B)

Vancouver Canucks on Twitter: "We welcome the additions of Sergei Gonchar  and Adam Foote to #Canucks coaching staff! https://t.co/msYNyf2IVr" /  Twitter

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, icycold said:

Dude it was hardly just one video, I spent over an hour looking at videos but I pointed out one of them that was the best non biased it hyped and I'd suggest you do the same and look for what we're discussing about him and you might just go, hang on yes I can see that. 

Take it as a dare if you like for motivation idk . 

So, I paid for Draft Pro scouting reports this draft...just as a matter of interest

So out of the top 50 ranked players in their rankings 4 players had better skating rankings, and 2 others were ranked at the same level, Again that is out of their top 50

So, i would suggest to all, that he is a premium skater, and that should not be in question by anyone...............which is why I compared him to Bret Hedican with higher IQ, same size and elite skating............for anyone questioning that.....yes, I said elite.

#23 | TOM WILLANDER | D | ROGLE BK J20 (J20 NATIONELL) PROSPECT VITALS STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES Fluid Skating Shot Velocity Skilled Hands Strength Puck Distribution Consistent Physicality Poise Engagement NHL STYLE COMP NHL ETA A two-way style smooth skating defender that shows a little grit will translate perfectly to the NHL. He possesses a fluid skating ability and soft hands. His edge work and active feet allow him to move north-south quickly as well as laterally with ease. He keeps his feet moving. In the Ozone, he shows he can quickly walk the line to help him open up space and lanes. Utilizes his footwork to his advantage when starting the breakout. He’ll peel back behind his net if he doesn’t like what he sees and can evade the forecheck with quick turns or cutbacks. Shoulder checks on retrievals and is aware of where the pressure is coming from. Has the soft hands and head fakes to deke out defenders when transporting the puck. He makes strong, accurate stretch passes and effective outlets to relieve pressure. Shows terrific off-puck awareness sliding and opening himself up for a one-timer opportunity. Shot leaves a little to be desired. Defensively, he will jump out to block shots when he sees the opportunity to. He gets his stick in lanes and can knock down passes with some sharp hand eye coordination. He is effective at pinning his man up against the boards, but he’s not an overly physical defender. There is some work to be done when defending from blue line to blue line, but there are a lot of signs that he could be a great defender and play on both special team units. Projects as a solid two-way middle pairing NHL defenseman. – DS

• Like 1

Solid 2 way guy, we need a guy like Willander, probably since Edler left us. You just know Allvin had Reinbacher and maybe even Simashev higher and then probably ASP and Lindstein lower.

Going to Boston in the NCAA is huge next year for him too. Get used to North American hockey, hopefully get into the AHL in the following year and bottom pairing NHL minutes the next year when the OEL big cap hit hits on an ELC.

Hope he does well in Boston, would like to see at least 0.5PPG, hopefully he can end up being a solid Hampus Lindholm/mini-Heiskanen type guy for us. If he can be a 40-50 pt 15+ defenceman I'd be happy with the pick.

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Here's my synopsis of watching about 8 games of the kid.

I like this player, just not when Benson was on the board. Regardless, here is why I like him as a player: 

Pros: 

Great skating. Has good acceleration and agility and tends to use it well. One of the better skaters in the draft.

Active defenseman. Engaged. This is extremely important on defense. Likes to battle a lot and will challenge along the wall often. He is not a fan of giving up the blue line easily. Will tie up sticks and compete in front of the net.

Size. Uses his size well and will throw hits. Not afraid to engage in these types of scenarios.

Has poise with the puck. 

Defensively responsible. Anticipates when transitions are about to occur on turnovers. This is where his defensive IQ shines. Elects to be safer than too risky. 

Decent along the walls defensively. 

Seems to have a knack for shooting around screens. 

Cons: 

His offense is nothing spectacular. Very very simple game. Has great edgework but has yet to incorporate it into his offense. He should have a much higher ceiling considering his skating ability but he isn't a huge roamer, doesn't like to be super deceptive.

Sometimes overcommits. Because he's a physical defenseman he likes to engage quite a bit with the body but sometimes doesn't lead with his stick the way he needs to in certain situations. I'm sure this will get ironed out under good coaching. Against a team who excels in give and go's he will need to adapt accordingly. Overall his defensive IQ is certainly above par for his age though. 

Has poise, but sometimes too much poise. It's not super often, but he is prone to holding onto the puck too long and on zone exits does some silly things like instead of breaking out he turns back in his own zone despite ample opportunity to wheel outwards. Just sometimes looks as if he doesn't know what to do with the puck. This is pretty rare but certainly does show up from time to time.

Not super dynamic. 

Ratings:

Skating: 8/10

Defensive IQ: 8/10

Offensive IQ: 6/10

Tenacity: 7.5/10

Motor: 8/10

Shot: 6/10 

Puck Handling: 5/10

Vision: 5/10

Passing Ability: 6.5/10

Creativity: 4/10

Offensive Processing Speed: 5/10

Defensive Processing Speed: 7/10

Anticipation: 8.5/10

Decision Making on Offense: 6/10

Decision Making on Defense: 8/10

NHL Readiness: 7/10

Personal Projection: 

Ceiling: Top 3 Defenseman

Ceiling chance: 60%

Floor: Depth defenseman 

Floor chance: 10% (I don't think he will end up a depth defenseman unless he can't figure out timing and the speed of play at the NHL level but I think he will be alright with this in a few years)

Will need a couple years before transitioning to the NHL.

Where I expect him to end up: Top 3 - Top 4 Defenseman depending on the quality of team.

Comparable: an upgraded version of Elias Petterson the Defenseman

He significantly improved from the start of the season to the end of the season but I still have concerns about the timing of his aggression and his decision making with the puck. I don't believe he's a franchise changer by any means but he should be steady as long as he cleans up some of his decision making on breakouts. He showed growth in this area so hopefully that continues. I personally would have waited until later in the draft but I don't hate the player or think he has a high bust potential. I think we are gonna really like this kid when he's playing for us if he pans out. My only gripe is when he was taken, that's all. At pick 11 I prefer bigger game changing players but that's just preference. 

Can't say I know anything about the kid beyond highlight videos but it seems you've watched him shift-by-shift a fair bit so I'll take your word. Thanks for the good write up. Like you say, if his tools were as consistently high-end as we seem to wish they were he probably would've gone like 5 spots higher. I like the roll of the dice on his skill set. Is somebody like Jonas Brodin maybe a good example of what we could hope for? The nationality and draft status are just coincidence, but it sounds like the talent comps might be accurate? Average size, best assets are skating and IQ, defensively inclined, etc. 

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

One thing to add is the worrisome that not only American but now Canadian born players is the risk they could bolt from small market Canadian teams (not named Toronto) to  US teams as soon as they hit UFA status or even sooner. For some reason Vancouver has been a desirable place for Scandinavian born players to live and raise families.

I know there are exception, but it seems as if now more than ever that this is becoming a reality. IMO it’s going to be a factor moving forwards with drafting and acquiring talent. 

We might be overstating the problem right now after seeing Calgary these last couple years but I don't hate the idea either. Scandinavian players have been relatively good to us. An EP2/Willander pairing sounds pretty good to me.

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

If your name ends in ‘lander’ you’re getting drafted by Vancouver.

5 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

Hope he only spends a couple of years in college and then transitions straight to the NHL.

5 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Excited to add a RHD to the top of our prospect pool! Looking forward to seeing how he adjusts to the NCAA this coming season. 

My 2 cents:

I like Willander. Of the players on the board when the Canucks picked I was hoping for Benson, with Willander next. I feel that Benson was sort of in Bedard's shadow. In a lot of years he would be a top 5 pick.

But I can see the reasons for taking Willander.  And I trust this management group. Obviously they know a lot more than me. (That is not always true of GMs. They can make obviously bad moves, like picking Virtanen, picking Juolevi, signing Myers, signing Louie, and trading for OEL.)

Certainly the Canucks need his skill set.

There are several good things about playing in the NCAA, like being able to shift over the AHL or NHL at any time.  And the schedule gives more time for development. I would expect him to play in the NHL in his D+3 year and I hope he might play in his D+2 year. On the surface, he looks like a great partner for Hughes. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

5 is average.

I think Willander has been hiding his final true form for years.  Letting ASP take all the spotlight.  But I think Willander is the real gem.  Tell me who this reminds you of at 00:57 mark.  His rush up the ice is Makar tier . 10/10 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, icycold said:

Where did I compare him, I never said he was as good as Hughes anywhere there lol 

I said he does have Hughes like qualities and he does, is he Hughes or as good as? Certainly not BUT if you take a closer look... 

I see shades of (younger) Shea Theodore in him if he hits

15 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Can't say I know anything about the kid beyond highlight videos but it seems you've watched him shift-by-shift a fair bit so I'll take your word. Thanks for the good write up. Like you say, if his tools were as consistently high-end as we seem to wish they were he probably would've gone like 5 spots higher. I like the roll of the dice on his skill set. Is somebody like Jonas Brodin maybe a good example of what we could hope for? The nationality and draft status are just coincidence, but it sounds like the talent comps might be accurate? Average size, best assets are skating and IQ, defensively inclined, etc. 

We might be overstating the problem right now after seeing Calgary these last couple years but I don't hate the idea either. Scandinavian players have been relatively good to us. An EP2/Willander pairing sounds pretty good to me.

It'd be amazing if he turned out like Brodin for the defensive aspect. Could grow into it with proper development. He's definitely well above average defensively for somebody his age. His engagement is probably my favourite aspect. I found him, Reinbacher and Simashev all had upper echelon defensive work. And like you said, if he was more dynamic with his offense he would have been selected even higher than Reinbacher. Reinbacher is more polished (the most out of this draft in my opinion) and then Simashev and Willander are in a tier below that but all have unique aspects of what makes them good. All 3 have spots of brilliance, but need a lot more consistency in their offensive games.