The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

Just now, Jaimito said:

That pretty much ended Nux chances in SCF game 1.

If I recall, that was attempted on Lucic. Hammer had a long career of not breaking his hip til he tried it on a 240 pound powerforward. So I won't write off doing a bombass hip check cause of that. I would urge anyone not to use it on brick walls though.

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

In fairness.  If I recall, Garland had far better numbers and played on a far worse team than benson.  And by far better I believe he was like 35+ points ahead of his next team mate and over 50 from the 3rd highest scoring player on his team while playing the PK and PP in jr.  

So if his floor is somehow a more talented Garland then so be it.  Willander at his floor is still a vastly better player in a far greater position of importance to this club,.

Yeah Willander at his floor is still a top 4 D.  There's just too much talent.  I like Willander's floor a lot more than Benson's

On 6/29/2023 at 7:59 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not that the inability to draft Bedard made me think about this (ok, maybe a bit), but why is this kind of system of forced servitude even in existence any more?  Like why are incoming players subject to being drafted to teams that they may not want to play for (leaving them with limited options to exit that sort of sphere of influence), and then being stuck as an RFA for teams that benefit by haivng them for pennies on the dollar if they are generational phenoms?

Like, this is supposed to be a capitalist society, wages should be calculated on a fair basis as determined by the market, and not constrained by the collective bargaining agreement; this is also supposed to be an enlightened society that should have done away with slavery, and yet, young players have no say in where they want to sign contracts with.

Instead, we have in essence young players treated like slaves at market, where their professional fate is determined by antiquated systems, and whose freedom to choose their employer can only happen when they've bought it themselves  after the 6 or 8 years of forced servitude they need to endure first.

It's almost like we're in 2023, but the leage is still stuck thinking it's 1623.  :rolleyes:

To add to this sometimes players can be mishandled during this period.Such as getting proper ice time,guidance.I just discussed this with a apprentice we have if he is displeased he can move on to an employer that he feels is treating him fairly.Tough luck for these draftees. Lets hope he pulls a Tavares. Oh and to stay on topic welcome to Vancouver Tom.

Edited by nopROBlemo
  • Upvote 1

On 6/29/2023 at 4:59 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not that the inability to draft Bedard made me think about this (ok, maybe a bit), but why is this kind of system of forced servitude even in existence any more?  Like why are incoming players subject to being drafted to teams that they may not want to play for (leaving them with limited options to exit that sort of sphere of influence), and then being stuck as an RFA for teams that benefit by haivng them for pennies on the dollar if they are generational phenoms?

Like, this is supposed to be a capitalist society, wages should be calculated on a fair basis as determined by the market, and not constrained by the collective bargaining agreement; this is also supposed to be an enlightened society that should have done away with slavery, and yet, young players have no say in where they want to sign contracts with.

Instead, we have in essence young players treated like slaves at market, where their professional fate is determined by antiquated systems, and whose freedom to choose their employer can only happen when they've bought it themselves  after the 6 or 8 years of forced servitude they need to endure first.

It's almost like we're in 2023, but the leage is still stuck thinking it's 1623.  :rolleyes:

Taxpayers pay millions to Hockey Canada (an yet the NHL as far as i know pays nothing)?

The players and owners who have made millions off the system don't feel the need to support what made them millions?

If the NHL supported minor hockey, then it would be like they are apprenticing players and the draft is employing there apprentices until 25 yrs old

The NHLPA is online with the draft as it is, it's not stuck in 1623 though, without the draft as it is it the business and league would die and there would be less players and teams, making less money in a weaker league

• There it is 2

On 6/30/2023 at 8:53 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I agree with the bolded, though shouldn't that be expected of a league that is trying to prove that they're the best of the best when it comes to hockey?  If you're not competitive (from a revenue perspective), maybe you shouldn't have a franchise or you don't deserve a franchise?  And I say this knowing full well that this is exactly what could also happen to the Canucks under those circumstances.  All this stuff about caps and salary limits and contract limits and stuff - it's just helping to prop up franchises that if they were in any other realm of business would have been shuttered and ceased operations years ago.

Anyways, just my shiny nickel (because 2 cents is worth f**k all these days).

I trust you understand the history to this. First came the 18 year old draft which ultimately brough a lot of uncertainly with it. This was brought about by a player, namely Ken Linesman who threatend to sue the NHL unless the age was reduced to18 year old. Following that young ( 18 year olds ) were free to negoiate there own salary ( no ELC ) and often for players with zero proof of ability demanded veryhigh salaries to sign. Teams complained they were beingheld hostage by players basically with no standing in the league. Hnce when the new contract wasvsigned the chnage was initiated

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If I recall, that was attempted on Lucic. Hammer had a long career of not breaking his hip til he tried it on a 240 pound powerforward. So I won't write off doing a bombass hip check cause of that. I would urge anyone not to use it on brick walls though.

He flipped lucic ass over tea kettle but blew his own guts out doing it. I think it was like double hernia..

With Cole signed to a 1 year deal, you wonder if Allvin thinks Willander might be NHL-ready in a year's time. I'd try not to rush him but he is very poised and these defenders in the 1st round look very NHL ready (Simashev, Reinbacher mainly). Ideally I'd throw him into the AHL the subsequent year but you can see what Allvin is doing, he's almost structuring our defence around Willander (and maybe all the other picks).

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

With Cole signed to a 1 year deal, you wonder if Allvin thinks Willander might be NHL-ready in a year's time. I'd try not to rush him but he is very poised and these defenders in the 1st round look very NHL ready (Simashev, Reinbacher mainly). Ideally I'd throw him into the AHL the subsequent year but you can see what Allvin is doing, he's almost structuring our defence around Willander (and maybe all the other picks).

He’s structuring it for flexibility. I think Willander is still at least 2-3 years. BU is a great place to marinate. Getting these players with short term just allows us to be more creative. Cole is 32 after all. Juulsen for all we know could be his successor. 

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

He’s structuring it for flexibility. I think Willander is still at least 2-3 years. BU is a great place to marinate. Getting these players with short term just allows us to be more creative. Cole is 32 after all. Juulsen for all we know could be his successor. 

Really depends how Cole gets on, he could be our big answer to top pairing RD if he continues to play well. I worry about his skating but we'll see how he goes. If he plays well, he may earn himself a Schenn-like extension. I could see him play to 35. Even then, he could maybe play bottom pairing minutes with one of the kids on the left (Hirose, Rathbone, Pettersson) and surely by then Willander will be at the top with Hughes. Hughes and Hronek will be in their late 20s and really in their prime and Soucy will just about be done so can make a decision on him too.

Should pan out nicely now.

• Upvote 1

Thought experiment, not expectations. 

What happens if the best case scenario occurs this season, and Willander goes to BU and absolutely lights it up as their #1D? Shows some real improvement on the offensive side of the game without sacrificing the defensive side. I assume he'll sign and immediately get minutes alongside Soucy or Cole depending on who stays and who goes, maybe with Hughes if he shows he's ready for those minutes. In this scenario, what's his ceiling? #2D to play with Hughes for a decade? Superstar #1 ala Miro Heiskanen? 

I was really hoping for Dvorsky and we sure came close! 

I like what I see/hear about Wallander

and trust the scouts that backed up the pick.  Big, young kid with; + hockey sense, + speedy

skating, + character, along with + confidence and drive.  My bet is there is a lot of potential for him

to develop into a great partner for Hughes.

• Like 2