The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Your Opening Night Lineup?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pretty sure Hoglander requires waivers FWIW. AKA, he's on the roster (one of many reasons it would be nice to move Garland).

He has like 2 more games before he requires waivers I believe. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Oh I agree, that's likely what happens. We simply role with what we largely have, move Beau and Myers (maybe Pearson if he rehabs his value *fingers crossed*) at the TDL and keep on trucking.

That said, if we can package decent, but redundant (on our roster) pieces like say Garland + Rathbone for something useful...absolutely. Even if it's for a "less valuable" player. I'd happily take a fast, gritty, PK'ing 3rd line winger for both of them, even if it didn't clear much cap and had less offensive ceiling. 

That's the spirit Keep on trucking\!| It's the path to the stanlley cup.

Pay attention ownerswhip.

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He has like 2 more games before he requires waivers I believe. 

I think the internet has confirmed that. So basically one game risk. Someone has to be out for the year, or he has to perform a miracle to make the team outright, or someone does a Sami Salo and gets a snake bite and is out for the season, or whatever, then he is in. But stay down....

• Cheers 1

On 7/6/2023 at 4:10 AM, Brock BOeser said:

Kuzmenko-Millzy-Boeser

Mikheyev-Elias Pettersson-Garland

Beauvillier-FA-Pod

Joshua-Blueger-Aman

Hog

HUGHES-Cole

Soucy-Hronek

Myers-ELIAS PETTERSON

Jett WOOOOOO

Demko

Silovs

I dont see Hogs or Pods removing PDG from this lineup. Di Giuseppe is Tocchets favorite and someone will have to play out of their mind to supplant him

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

I dont see Hogs or Pods removing PDG from this lineup. Di Giuseppe is Tocchets favorite and someone will have to play out of their mind to supplant him

You cant move pdg out.  He simply helps us win.  But hogz n podz need to play somehow.   

Few overpriced wingers need to go. 

• Vintage 1

Mikey - Petey - Kuz

Beau - Miller - Boes

Pearson - Blueger - Hog
Joshua - Aman - PDG

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose - Meyers

Demko

Martin

Extras

Forwards - Stud / Dries

Defense - Brise / Irwin

I think this is decently likely (unless I'm forgetting someone).  I think Garland will be the winger they move out and despite trying to move Meyers in the end I am not sure if a deal will surface before the season begins to get him out (try again at the deadline).  

If it is - then overall I think the team looks okay and should be battling for one of the final playoff spots. Our D should be more stable then last year and combined with new coaching that will hopefully be the biggest improvement. Consistency from the top 6 will be big. Bottom 6 looks a little weak, but if one or two of the younger guys take a step then it could be fine. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/7/2023 at 11:52 AM, Bobby James said:

Mikey - Petey - Kuz

Beau - Miller - Boes

Pearson - Blueger - Hog
Joshua - Aman - PDG

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose - Meyers

Demko

Martin

Extras

Forwards - Stud / Dries

Defense - Brise / Irwin

I think this is decently likely (unless I'm forgetting someone).  I think Garland will be the winger they move out and despite trying to move Meyers in the end I am not sure if a deal will surface before the season begins to get him out (try again at the deadline).  

If it is - then overall I think the team looks okay and should be battling for one of the final playoff spots. Our D should be more stable then last year and combined with new coaching that will hopefully be the biggest improvement. Consistency from the top 6 will be big. Bottom 6 looks a little weak, but if one or two of the younger guys take a step then it could be fine. 

I don't mind this lineup and it's likely what it's going to be but by gosh that top six doesn't have a ton of size or sandpaper to it except for Miller to it. Enough offense there and and an improved defense should get them close to a playoff spot. However, even if they sneaked into the playoffs they'd get physically worn down and bounced easily in the first round. 

• Cheers 1

I see Hirose and Hoglander having great training camps. I think Podkolzin won't be NHL-ready just yet but will do well on the top-6 in Abby for most of the year and get called up here and there. I think Rathbone just won't have what it takes defensively to crack Tocchet's team. I think Wolanin will surprise everyone and earn a spot on our team, he was our best player last pre-season and the AHL's best defenceman by a long shot. I think PDG starts in the top-6 but eventually he'll be moved down.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Beauvillier - Blueger - Garland

Joshua - Aman - Hoglander

Studnicka

Podkolzin

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Hirose - Myers

Wolanin

Rathbone

Cal Foote, RD, 24 years old

6’3″, 209 lbs

Cal Foote is a player that has been linked to the Canucks a few times over the last few weeks. He ticks a lot of the boxes in what the Canucks should be looking for in a free agent acquisiton. He’s young, fills a position of need, and has that big body that will make the Canucks tougher to play against.

I think Foote has upside and would be low cost signing 1 yr X 1 million show me more.

Pair Hughes with Hronek (they will be our Makar-Toews pairing)

Pair Soucy with Cole (proven chemistry in MIN in 2020-21)

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Garland - Miller - Boeser

Pearson - Blueger - Hoglander

Joshua - Aman - Podkolzin

(PDG)

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Cole

Hirose - Myers

(Irwin, Woo)

Demko (Silovs)

Traded: Beauvillier

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/8/2023 at 9:40 PM, the_impersonator13 said:

I don't mind this lineup and it's likely what it's going to be but by gosh that top six doesn't have a ton of size or sandpaper to it except for Miller to it. Enough offense there and and an improved defense should get them close to a playoff spot. However, even if they sneaked into the playoffs they'd get physically worn down and bounced easily in the first round.

Yeah I don't disagree with you about the lack of physicality in our forward group. It does mean they would likely struggle in the playoffs. 

I think that could be okay though. Often it seems like young teams have that issue. I think it could be viewed as part of the process. The young players will toughen up being in those situations (even when it means losing) and as the team gets better each year we can look to make lineup changes and bring in maybe a tougher winger when the time is right. 

One area they need to not fail is scoring. There is a lot of young talent here and they need to step up. A couple prospects also need to take a step this year. 

Mik-Ep-Kuz

Beau/PDG-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Blueger-Podz/Garland/PDG

Joshua-Aman-Hogz/Podz/PDG
PDG/Beau

Waive-Studnicka 

Hughes-Soucy

Cole-Hronek

Wolanin-Myers 

Personally would like to see Beau and Garland go. Beau isn’t very good defensively and is overmanned in bottom six and is at best a middle six winger. If he can’t hold spot on our second line he should sit as not a good player for bottom six. 
Podz can play anywhere and will get some top 6 time this year. 
Studnicka wasn’t good at anything. Wasted a pick and prospect to get him and he is barely replacement level. 
I think Hughes-Soucy start together. Don’t know if it will work. He has been a #5 level defenceman throughout his career, this is a big step up. I think by mid season you will see a Hughes-Hronek pairing being used a concerning number of minutes as RT tries desperately to cling to fading playoff hopes. 

We need to trade at least one, preferably two forwards. 

Edited by DrJockitch

This thread isn’t giving me much hope. That’s tragic center depth, nowhere near good enough for playoffs so I hope there’s a plan to bring in a real third line C, this team will die if one of petey or miller get hurt, we’ll be icing three 4th line C’s. Then you have an average defence, with guys better suited for third pair time playing on the top two pairings and boat anchor 6 million Myers being sheltered on the third pair. The wingers are so overrated, soft, easy to play against, beauvillier was a cap dump, we’d have to pay to get rid of him yet he’s in the top 6, counting on injured Pearson, Mikheyev couldn’t produce with matthews or marner yet he’s on the first line and coming off major injury. 

let’s just pray demko wins the Vezina because that’s what it will take to be a wild card team. 

I know it ain't gonna happen but for years I have coveted my neighbour's third line C. Adam Lowry is everything I have ever wanted in a 3C. Big, mean, can skate and has some offensive acumen, pretty decent shutdown guy.

I'm a sinner and I know. it

Adam Lowry to the Canucks...

Never gonna happen,

So I consume all the double chocolate donuts!

• Haha 2

On 7/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe our lineup will look like 

Thing - Thing - Thing

Thing - Thing - Thing

Thing - Thing - Thing

Thing - Thing - Thing

Thing

Thing - Thing 

Thing - Thing 

Thing - Thing 

Thing/Thing

Starter: Thing

Backup: Thing

Coached by: Thing

Managed by: Thing

You know, THE thing! That thing! You know the thing! 

P.S. Flow still might not be here if we retain some of his salary, and Garland gone as well, but for prospects or picks. Which works out for us long term because short term never works for us so why bother gambling on it? 

I still thinks it's a bit early to tell what opening night is going to look like but omfg I'm glad it's not going to be like last year... That was painful! Exhibit A of lack of D depth and team D, that looks dealt with, however, should be a lot more fun to watch and especially in the upcoming seasons where we add to that.

It's not like we have lack of fire power anymore but we still need to toughen up but that's something that can be worked out.

Looking forward to having a healthy Mik back, having that kind of speed is missed when it's gone.