The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jersey numbers for the free agents

Rate this topic

Law of Goalies

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hope there was some Bourdon discussion, you'd like to think someone in the Canucks organization alerted management about this but maybe they're fine with it.

More interesting is the number 53 - such a random number and Blueger takes it, almost making a point there.

Blueger has always worn 53

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hope there was some Bourdon discussion, you'd like to think someone in the Canucks organization alerted management about this but maybe they're fine with it.

More interesting is the number 53 - such a random number and Blueger takes it, almost making a point there.

Blueger will be asked why #53 immediately by Vancouver media. He wore it for years in Pittsburgh, wore #23 his last year in the AHL, unsure about college #. There must be some meaning behing him wearing #53. 

Canuck fans should have no issue with him doing so, I do NOT...Horvat was a good player for us, he wanted $ and  was a shoot first C wanting a payday, Canucks made the right choice to move on from BO at his extension numbers. Horvat will NOT have his # retired or in the ring of honour so should NOT matter who wears #53 in a Canuck jersey going forward imo. We did not have any succuess while Horvat was here, that is the main reason for him not getting any recognition post retirement from me. And, his stats don't warrant it sad to say

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Blueger will be asked why #53 immediately by Vancouver media. He wore it for years in Pittsburgh, wore #23 his last year in the AHL, unsure about college #. There must be some meaning behing him wearing #53. 

Canuck fans should have no issue with him doing so, I do NOT...Horvat was a good player for us, he wanted $ and  was a shoot first C wanting a payday, Canucks made the right choice to move on from BO at his extension numbers. Horvat will NOT have his # retired or in the ring of honour so should NOT matter who wears #53 in a Canuck jersey going forward imo. We did not have any succuess while Horvat was here, that is the main reason for him not getting any recognition post retirement from me. And, his stats don't warrant it sad to say

Of course there is no issues with him wearing no 53. Bo isn't dead or hanging from the rafters or anything. Wear it with pride like any other number on a Canucks jersey... simples. 

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Honestly, it’s been 50 years since Maki’s death. Times have changed. It may have had significance back then, right now it doesn’t. And @Elias Pettersson is right, that guy nearly killed someone over a damn game. 

All jerseys except 10, 12, 16, 19, 22, 33, and 99 should be made available. 

Im not particularly interested in retiring a jersey worn by a player who died half a century ago now. They should set up a memorial though, but have his jersey available.

So Did Dino Ciccarelli and he's in the Hall of Fame.

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What exactly did Wayne Maki do other than chop some guys head off with his stick and then getting charged with assault?  

Wayne Maki almost led the Canucks in scoring in their first ever NHL season.  Maki had 63 points and Boudrias had 66.  That's pretty significant.  He was one of the original Canucks from 1970.  Taking the number out of circulation made sense but it can't be done for everyone that passes early.

Well I guess it can for a while since there are 99 numbers but the Canucks would already be down to 89 or so.

1 hour ago, Neutral said:

#53 isn't even remotely sacred based on Horvat.  I would find it more questionable if someone wears Ronning's 7 or Tanti's 9 or Lidster's 3.  But nobody bats an eye at that.  Horvat contributed less than those three guys and several others not in the rafters.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

There's likely some recency bias in play in that regards, because was one of the few glimmers of light in an otherwise dismal post-Sedin era (up until the last couple of seasons, at least).  

Retiring or reserving numbers is a touchy subject though, regardless.  For example, I felt that Luongo's number should be co-retired with Captain Kirk, but people side with one or the other - or neither.  I'm just glad I'm not tasked with keeping track of or making the decision for which numbers can no longer be used (officially or otherwise).  :ph34r:

I always felt McLean and Luongo deserved the same treatment, whichever that may be.  Jersey retired or ROH was fine with me.

There tends to be a good measure of recency bias.  I thought it was a factor in that Greatest 50 Canucks that we were all voting on here a couple years back but it wasn't out of control.  Horvat I think was quite overrated until he opened his mouth after the trade and made everyone stop liking him.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Love it, let's go boys. 

Fresh new start...I have no qualms about #28 as I saw Luc in other numbers. Wear it with pride and in his honour.

Was actually thinking the same thing as far as Luc goes.    Really enjoyed watching him and Edler go at it for that last spot, and Bourdon for sure looked like he'd eventually win a spot, and likely have a long NHL career as a Canuck.   Was tragic.    And a way to honour him for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I always felt McLean and Luongo deserved the same treatment, whichever that may be.  Jersey retired or ROH was fine with me.

There tends to be a good measure of recency bias.  I thought it was a factor in that Greatest 50 Canucks that we were all voting on here a couple years back but it wasn't out of control.  Horvat I think was quite overrated until he opened his mouth after the trade and made everyone stop liking him.

You bet.  That's very fair.   Both Vezina finalists, both were very special goalies for us, and both had their moments.   Feel McLean also had his blips in the post season, but McLean has to get the nod for the best post season goalie all-time.   He didn't have any blips in 94, and "the Save" has been legendary now for 3 decades.    Luongo of course was a top 1-5 for half his career and a top 10 for the entire one.   Super hard to do and very impressive.    Believe both their times with us was special.    And deserve equal treatment.

As for the top 50, would be interesting to do again.   Wonder where Brock and Horvat and Tanev go this time around..:and Hansen.  

Still do not like that the whole league is prevented from wearing #99.  Just PR BS, imo.

The Whiner didn't play for us, so a Canuck should be able to wear #99.

Still think only the # and the Name should be retired together and only by the team(s) that wish to do so.

Keep your nose out of it NHL.

• Wat 1

34 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Still do not like that the whole league is prevented from wearing #99.  Just PR BS, imo.

The Whiner didn't play for us, so a Canuck should be able to wear #99.

Still think only the # and the Name should be retired together and only by the team(s) that wish to do so.

Keep your nose out of it NHL.

That's a little crass.   Gretzky is considered the most dominant athlete in the history of pro sports.   Not just hockey.     Whiner, well whatever gives your team an advantage.   It's not like he didn't play in a tough era.    Most "experts" figured he'd be broken into little pieces the first couple years.    Even with a big brother to help him.     If your not a fan, then you're also not a fan of his media stuff in 2002, when team Canada was getting kicked around.   Or 1987, arguably the best of the best on best all time.     Who was it that decided to wear 66 and was ripped a new one again?    It's the same reason why Brett Hull while with Detroit, pulled back a horny young kid from crap talking Sakic, and told him you don't do that to Mr. Sakic.   It's called respect.    And those teams really hated each other.    Unlikely any of us will live long enough to see someone like him again.     

Edit:  For those that didn't, well some at least got to see Lidstrom, and Yzerman.   Or Sakic.   Who scored over 100 at 37 after the lockout.    McDavid isn't scoring an average of 70 plus points for a decade over the next up.    The league owes its expansion into the US to Gretzky.   It never would have worked without that trade.   Hollywood couldn't wait to see what the big deal was about him, and they weren't disappointed.   To me it was the right thing to do.   And very respectful.   Not sure why you'd disagree, other then that he scored on Richard Broduer more then any other goalie.   That's a long grudge. 

Imagine a trade today, that would make so many Canadian hockey fans upset?   To the point they tried to block it in the top level of government.    It was a sad day.  Nothing like that will ever happen again, because nobody will ever play like he did again, and well the climates changed, doesn't seem like there is nearly the same appetite to see the cup in Canada like there used to be either.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

#53 isn't even remotely sacred based on Horvat.  I would find it more questionable if someone wears Ronning's 7 or Tanti's 9 or Lidster's 3.  But nobody bats an eye at that.  Horvat contributed less than those three guys and several others not in the rafters.

I agree with you, it will be odd seeing a large #7 in a Canucks jersey but always liked the # due to Ronning and wanted it to be used by players more. Ronning, tanti and Gino should be in the ring of honour imo

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Miller isn't doing any dishonour at least.   So there is that.    Of anyone on Horvats team's, the only number that feels somewhat reverent is Edlers (aside from the Sedins).   Ronning, Tanti, Lidster, Snepsts, Bieksa, there is so many guys i'd consider holy before going there (53).   Bieksa did Lidster honour though.   Gino 29.    I don't mind if guys wear the same numbers, but some guys for sure wore it best.   Some numbers like 7, will just remind me of Ronning.     29 Gino.   OEL didn't do 23 much justice.  Ohlunds 2, and Jovo's 55 and Bert's 44  also seem like ones that should take a long time to ever be supplanted. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

As someone else said before me:

I am not going to going to get upset about Ian Cole wearing #28. What I will do, however, is take a moment to remember Luc Bourdon. A life taken too soon, but forever a Canuck.

I took this picture of Luc and Burr 100 years ago. Luc's wearing #4.

1236903_10151842296805549_1419496033_n.j

• Like 3
  • Huggy Bear 1