The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden and the Stanley Cup Finals Game 6 phantom menace

Rate this topic

Slegr

1994, Stanley Cup Finals, Game 6, last minutes... people always talk about Mark Messier's role in a crippling cross check to Linden's side while he was down (which incidentally, despite dozens of cameras in the finals, has never been shown / televised.. ever. We just hear about it. Surely, there must be video of that incident captured somewhere.)

What draws my attention, and what is never seemingly mentioned, was that Linden was blindsided just earlier, which put him down on the ice in the first place. This video captures the moment at the two second mark, on the bottom left of the screen. With the puck far away, Linden looks to cross the blue line when he is completely blind sided by what appears to be direct head contact as a Ranger scrambles to get onside in what should probably be an automatic game misconduct to a Ranger. The video is so poor, it is hard to tell what Ranger did this, but it wasn't Messier. That's not letting Messier off the hook - I'd guess Linden's severe rib injuries came as a result of Messier cross-checking him when he was crawling to the bench. But what about the phantom menace Ranger who crushes Linden's head in a blind-side hit far away from the play? How does he got off without anyone ever calling for his head throughout the years? 

And as fans, should we demand through some sort of campaign that CBC release its unshown footage from their different camera angles that would capture these evil events rather than have them continue this false narrative that Mark Messier is one of the greatest leaders of all time?

Edited by Slegr
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

The league has its darlings and they can get away with murder while other teams are marked and branded. Used as scapegoats to declare the league is taking care of its players. A guy like Myers can't blink at someone without getting thrown in the box yet you have Marchand being touted as a hero because he scores goals.

It's all so lopsided and inconsistent...makes it a bit of a joke. Not a conspiracy theory...but some teams have it much more lenient than other teams. Just how it is (sadly). The league won't have credibility until it really does care to make an even playing field and truly want to protect players. Not their (the league's) reputation.

This happens and it's just glanced over. 

Yet Bert goes after Moore (the dirty POS) and he's treated like a mass murderer.

Aside from Bruins fans, who the hell thinks Marchand is a hero? I’m pretty sure he’s disliked league wide.

Also, Bertuzzi legitimately caused an assault and ended a guys career. He literally stalked the guy the whole shift, wanting another fight, and when he didn’t get his way. He blindsided him with a punch to the temple. Looking back, the whole Free Bertuzzi campaign (which sadly I was apart of), was dumb. Loved Bertuzzi, but the punishment he got was deserving.

Edited by shiznak
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Aside from Bruins fans, who the hell thinks Marchand is a hero? I’m pretty sure he’s disliked league wide.

Also, Bertuzzi legitimately caused an assault and ended a guys career. He literally stalked the guy the whole shift, wanting another fight, and when he didn’t get his way. He blindsided him with a punch to the temple. Looking back, the whole Free Bertuzzi campaign (which sadly I was apart of), was dumb. Loved Bertuzzi, but the punishment he got was deserving.

Your opinion, and I disagree.

Also....ever seen any NHL promo material? Pretty sure Marchand's been featured often.

I doubt that Messier did any damge to Linden.  Linden was on his knees and crawling to the bench after he was blindsided.  How could Messier break his ribs if Linden was already down on the ice on his knees and crawling to the bench?  All we hear is Robson saying Messier hit Linden while he was down on the ice.  It could have been a love tap for all we know.  The initial hit to the head was what made Linden go down to the ice in the first place.  Remember when Tkachuk was hit hard this year?  It broke his sternum.  Most likely Linden was hurt from the initial hit.  It was a forward that hit him as the puck was in the offensive zone for the Rangers.  The guy was a left shot.  I believe it was Stephane Matteau.  You can see Matteau on the ice after the hit.  

This video is more clear, just fast forward to the end of the video and the last minute of the game.  John Davidson also comments that Messier hit Linden...

EDIT:  After watching again, It might have been Adam Graves that hit him.  I see him in the offensive zone and on the ice at the time of the hit.  Also, my question would be why does Pat Quinn have Linden on the ice during the last minute of the game when the score is 4-1?  Why not have the 4th line out there?  I'm sorry but that was a big mistake by Pat Quinn...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Your opinion, and I disagree.

Also....ever seen any NHL promo material? Pretty sure Marchand's been featured often.

He’s been feature in NHL promo, because he’s talented, not because they love the guy.

It’s like Tom Brady in football. He’s probably the most hated guy in football, yet he’s recognized by the league as the greatest of all-time, because of his talent on the field.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

The league has its darlings and they can get away with murder while other teams are marked and branded. Used as scapegoats to declare the league is taking care of its players. A guy like Myers can't blink at someone without getting thrown in the box yet you have Marchand being touted as a hero because he scores goals.

It's all so lopsided and inconsistent...makes it a bit of a joke. Not a conspiracy theory...but some teams have it much more lenient than other teams. Just how it is (sadly). The league won't have credibility until it really does care to make an even playing field and truly want to protect players. Not their (the league's) reputation.

This happens and it's just glanced over. 

Yet Bert goes after Moore (the dirty POS) and he's treated like a mass murderer.

You cant have fair competition without a level playing field, and the nhl is definitely not a level playing field

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The player who hit Linden was as tall as him. Linden is 6'4", Graves is 6'0", Matteau is 6'4".

Looks like Matteau is the guilty party.

May swarms of locust shadow him for the rest of his days. :mad:

I think it was Matteau, because a few years later Linden fought him when Matteau was with the Blues. Knowing Linden, he rarely fought anybody, unless there was a reason.

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

22 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The player who hit Linden was as tall as him. Linden is 6'4", Graves is 6'0", Matteau is 6'4".

Looks like Matteau is the guilty party.

May swarms of locust shadow him for the rest of his days. :mad:

This is what I thought as well.  But at the initial faceoff Graves is on the ice with Messier on the left wing, not sure who the right winger is but I don't think it's Matteau as he didn't play on Messier's line and he was a left winger.  I believe the right winger is Glenn Anderson who is #36.  Graves was still on the ice at the time of the hit and he was in the offensive zone.  After the hit takes place I see Matteau on the ice, but it looks like the Rangers just completed a line change as Messier was also going to the bench after he hit Linden.  So I believe Matteau jumps onto the ice after a line change and after the hit.

So the guy in the offensive zone just before the hit was Graves, it wasn't Matteau.  You can see there is only one digit on the sleeve for the guy who hits Linden, it looks like a #9.  It's not #32 which is Matteau.  Matteau you can see after the hit on the ice as they completed a line change.  I don't remember Matteau ever playing with Messier and he was a left winger not a right winger.

I replayed the shift a few times and now I can see clearly it is #9 Graves that hits Linden.  He is the one that is forechecking in the offensive zone and he gets involved with Diduck.  Diduck comes out of the corner after the hit and Graves isn't there anymore, as he had just hit Linden and went off the ice for the line change.  Matteau is the one who replaces Graves and comes onto the ice after the hit...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

He’s been feature in NHL promo, because he’s talented, not because they love the guy.

It’s like Tom Brady in football. He’s probably the most hated guy in football, yet he’s recognized by the league as the greatest of all-time, because of his talent on the field.

There are a lot of talented players to choose from...although I can't think of any others who've licked a face during gameplay. Not a good look for him to be a featured player. With his dirty history for sure....nope. But again, agree to disagree. Brady IS the best Marchand's not even in the top 50 in points or the top 100 in goals last year. So you haven't sold me on it at all.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is what I thought as well.  But at the initial faceoff Graves is on the ice with Messier on the left wing, not sure who the right winger is but I don't think it's Matteau as he didn't play on Messier's line and he was a left winger.  I believe the right winger is Glenn Anderson who is #36.  Graves was still on the ice at the time of the hit and he was in the offensive zone.  After the hit takes place I see Matteau on the ice, but it looks like the Rangers just completed a line change as Messier was also going to the bench after he hit Linden.  So I believe Matteau jumps onto the ice after a line change and after the hit.

So the guy in the offensive zone just before the hit was Graves, it wasn't Matteau.  You can see there is only one digit on the sleeve for the guy who hits Linden, it looks like a #9.  It's not #32 which is Matteau.  Matteau you can see after the hit on the ice as they completed a line change.  I don't remember Matteau ever playing with Messier and he was a left winger not a right winger.

I replayed the shift a few times and now I can see clearly it is #9 Graves that hits Linden.  He is the one that is forechecking in the offensive zone and he gets involved with Diduck.  Diduck comes out of the corner after the hit and Graves isn't there anymore, as he had just hit Linden and went off the ice for the line change.  Matteau is the one who replaces Graves and comes onto the ice after the hit...

Graves, the phantom menace. He hides in the shadows and then strikes big names when they least suspect. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'll take your word for it and re-route the locust.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2