The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Auston Matthews

Overpaid but this seems to be the way teams should structure all new deals. 18yrs-21yrs old elc then bridge 4 years, then best salary they can offer and player accepts for four year term max! Player gets their money and if they fall off a cliff then there should be only 1-2 years left before that happens. Player ends up only 29 and next contract is based solely on whether they have fallen off or not. 

1 hour ago, Since'82 said:

Overpaid but this seems to be the way teams should structure all new deals. 18yrs-21yrs old elc then bridge 4 years, then best salary they can offer and player accepts for four year term max! Player gets their money and if they fall off a cliff then there should be only 1-2 years left before that happens. Player ends up only 29 and next contract is based solely on whether they have fallen off or not. 

I do like the idea of shorter contracts for sure. This eight year stuff is crap. 

• Vintage 2

On 8/24/2023 at 9:00 PM, Since'82 said:

How is he overpaid ?  Any 60 goal scoring star his age on a 4 year deal would get this kind of cap hit. 

He is fairly paid. Making wisecracks about him because he's on a team you hate and hasn't won the cup has nothing to do with what he is worth. Almost any team in the league would take him for 4 years at this money.

1 hour ago, dougieL said:

McDavid hasn't gotten his team to the Cup either...

No but McDavid is the best player in the world so reason to bring up his name.

He is miles ahead of Mathews and EP.

If he got a new deal would be highest it could be at that time he signed and deserved.

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

How is he overpaid ?  Any 60 goal scoring star his age on a 4 year deal would get this kind of cap hit. 

He is fairly paid. Making wisecracks about him because he's on a team you hate and hasn't won the cup has nothing to do with what he is worth. Almost any team in the league would take him for 4 years at this money.

Problem is he's not a 60-goal scorer anymore.  He's a 40-goal scorer living off a career year and using that to get paid even more than McDavid.  If he never breaks 40 goals ever again then he will have one of the worst contracts in the NHL...

• There it is 1

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Problem is he's not a 60-goal scorer anymore.  He's a 40-goal scorer living off a career year and using that to get paid even more than McDavid.  If he never breaks 40 goals ever again then he will have one of the worst contracts in the NHL...

Again, all the metrics point towards him doing just fine for a very long period of time.  Literally the league's best player in multiple facets.

On 8/24/2023 at 8:08 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh Bob, you really fell into my trap didn’t you?  :)

I knew you would bring up Ovechkin cause he’s the only guy with a similar regression that I can remember. But bringing up Ovechkin actually proves my point. Ovechkin had 4 100+ point seasons and peaked at age 25. After that he’s never hit 90 points again until age 36. He also peaked with his scoring at quite an early age. He peaked at 23 years old with 65 goals and never hit 60 again. Sounds familiar?

Matthews, like Ovechkin, has already peaked. I doubt he ever scored 60 goals and 100 points ever again. That’s gonna be pretty horrible for a guy who’s the highest paid player in NHL history.

So unless you think Auston Matthews will be like Ovechkin, scoring 50 goals into his 30’s, whoever signs him to that 8 year deal at age 31 is going to wanna find the nearest bridge. 

I feel like I had this discussion before, but how has Matthews reached his peaked, when he’s only a year older than Pettersson, who you think hasn’t reached his potential yet?

Peak years for a NHL player is usually 26-30.

Edited by shiznak

6 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I feel like I had this discussion before, but how has Matthews reached his peaked, when he’s only a year older than Pettersson, who you think hasn’t reached his potential yet?

Peak years for a NHL player is usually 26-30.

Peak years are 24-28 for most players.  Not sure how you are getting age 30.  There are the odd players who peak later, but most are in the 24-28 age range.  Petey is just entering his prime at age 25.  Matthews is still only 26 but has already regressed drastically from his 60-goal season, to now being a 40-goal scorer.  Petey just had a career year at age 24 just like Matthews did.  This season should demonstrate the career paths of both players.  If Petey is hitting over 102 points this year, then he still has room to get better.  If Matthews continues on his trajectory of being a 40-goal scorer, then we know that he has already peaked similar to Ovechkin.  

At the end of the day, Matthews is being paid to be a 60-goal scorer, which is what people seem to think he is.  So, if he hits 60 goals again this year, then I will admit I am wrong about him.  If he continues to score 40 goals per year, then he is not worth anything near his new contract and it will age horribly.  But the Leafs probably don't care if they are paying $13.25 million for a 40-goal scorer...

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

No but McDavid is the best player in the world so reason to bring up his name.

He is miles ahead of Mathews and EP.

If he got a new deal would be highest it could be at that time he signed and deserved.

Okay so then you concede that bringing his team a Cup is not the only measure of what that player should be paid...