The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Auston Matthews

51 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Here's the thing though: Matthews' playstyle should absolutely translate well into the playoffs.  He is without a doubt the deadliest 5v5 player in the league.  Past five seasons he leads even strength goals with 145; McDavid is a distant second (117).  He makes the right plays both offensively and defensively.  But his playdriving ability practically vanishes in most playoff games.

I think it's mental.  If he plays the exact same game in the playoffs as he does in the regular season, I honestly believe Toronto would've had a lot more postseason success.  It's weird.

He is terrible at one on one battles from what I've seen. He comes in at bad angles and for his size is easy to move or win against. I don't know why the Leafs haven't tried harder to get him a digger, trench guy to play with. Can't remember, was Hyman that guy? He's more of a "I'm over here, get me the puck" type. Easier to defend against in playoffs. Meh, that's what I see.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

He is terrible at one on one battles from what I've seen. He comes in at bad angles and for his size is easy to move or win against. I don't know why the Leafs haven't tried harder to get him a digger, trench guy to play with. Can't remember, was Hyman that guy? He's more of a "I'm over here, get me the puck" type. Easier to defend against in playoffs. Meh, that's what I see.

Love this! We have a few too many of those as well. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

couldn't lock him up long term and they're paying him 13.25mill lmao

I wouldn’t laugh too much.

The same thing could happen to us…

Could have signed Petey long term for 9 million if we didn’t have incompetent management at the time.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I wouldn’t laugh too much.

The same thing could happen to us…

Could have signed Petey long term for 9 million if we didn’t have incompetent management at the time.

Agreed both him and Hughes could have been locked up long term at steals if we weren’t in cap hell with bottom pairing and bottom 6 guys getting paid too much.

Forget about the AAV and how it compares with other top tier players' contract. The fact that he was only willing to sign a 4-yr contract suggests he's not committed and simply waiting for the opportunity to play elsewhere as soon there's another good team that can afford him. McDavid and MacKinnon you can bet they'll remain with the same team, but with Matthews you're already asking that question as soon as he signed a contract. 

Allowing players to dictate everything is like part of leafs team culture now - doesn't matter who the GM is anymore. After 3 years they have to go through this again, crazy. 

Edited by canuckwings

57 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

He's at least got them to a Conference Final. Not really his fault that Mike Smith was their goalie.

Well, he could have left a little money on the table to allow an upgrade.

Oh, wait, this is the Oilers.  Forget it ;)

3 hours ago, canuckwings said:

Forget about the AAV and how it compares with other top tier players' contract. The fact that he was only willing to sign a 4-yr contract suggests he's not committed and simply waiting for the opportunity to play elsewhere as soon there's another good team that can afford him. McDavid and MacKinnon you can bet they'll remain with the same team, but with Matthews you're already asking that question as soon as he signed a contract. 

Allowing players to dictate everything is like part of leafs team culture now - doesn't matter who the GM is anymore. After 3 years they have to go through this again, crazy. 

No. The reason hes signed to 4 years because that takes him to age 29 where he can again cash in another 8 year old term contract with whichever desperate team.