The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Friedman: Zegras likely signed to bridge deal

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Adult, Male, Man, Angry, Glove, Shouting, Ice Hockey Stick

"Zegras needs a contract for the Ducks and one of the things we're hearing is that's likely to be a bridge deal," said Friedman on the 32 Thoughts Podcast. "It doesn't look like that's gonna be a long term deal. It sounds like Zegras and the Ducks, when it gets done, is going to be a bridge."

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/rumor-no-long-term-deal-for-trevor-zegras-in-anaheim

Frank Seravalli said last month he figures Zegras to get something like a 2 year deal, $5M cap hit.

Could contain: Adult, Female, Person, Woman, Text, Chart, Line Chart

It's really not clear what his true NHL ceiling is, but there's no doubt he's going to be more productive as the team continues to improve.  If I were a Ducks fan, I'd be pissed about this.  It was good of them to lock up Troy Terry long term, but they also should've offered Zegras a 7x$8M or something like that.

Could contain: Helmet, Person, Adult, Female, Woman, Male, Man, Face, Baseball Glove, Sport

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Adult, Male, Man, Angry, Glove, Shouting, Ice Hockey Stick

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/rumor-no-long-term-deal-for-trevor-zegras-in-anaheim

Frank Seravalli said last month he figures Zegras to get something like a 2 year deal, $5M cap hit.

Could contain: Adult, Female, Person, Woman, Text, Chart, Line Chart

It's really not clear what his true NHL ceiling is, but there's no doubt he's going to be more productive as the team continues to improve.  If I were a Ducks fan, I'd be pissed about this.  It was good of them to lock up Troy Terry long term, but they also should've offered Zegras a 7x$8M or something like that.

Could contain: Helmet, Person, Adult, Female, Woman, Male, Man, Face, Baseball Glove, Sport

Great choices of pictures Bob.

• Thanks 1

Kids very overrated at this point in his career in my opinion, tho the talent is there I don’t see that drive in his game, I could see this one actually backfiring on him as they would have most likely gave him 8.5 x8 unless of course it’s the organization not 100% confident and it’s them not offering max term 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Jack Gordon said:

I don't understand the hesitancy on the part of the Ducks. The kid is a human highlight reel.

He’s never had the greatest attitude and hey, if it doesn’t work out, they still have Mason McTavish and Leo Carlsson as their potential 1-2 centres for the next decade. 

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Kids very overrated at this point in his career in my opinion, tho the talent is there I don’t see that drive in his game, I could see this one actually backfiring on him as they would have most likely gave him 8.5 x8 unless of course it’s the organization not 100% confident and it’s them not offering max term 

I see his ego and flashiness being a distraction to his actual on ice performance. And...he just doesn't seem like the brightest light to me. He has some skill, no doubt. But he's got to harness his attitude a bit in my view if he wants to reach his full potential. I honestly can't stand him.

Pass.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

This will end up being a mistake. Ducks are not going to be competing in the next two years so the cap savings will go to waste. Zegras is way too skilled to not improve on his point totals while will mean that the Ducks will end up paying more than they have to in a couple of years time. Considering that they will be competing with us in the future I have zero problem with this. 

7 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I see his ego and flashiness being a distraction to his actual on ice performance. And...he just doesn't seem like the brightest light to me. He has some skill, no doubt. But he's got to harness his attitude a bit in my view if he wants to reach his full potential. I honestly can't stand him.

Pass.

Having a bad attitude does not preclude a player from being an important contributor on a Cup winning team. I'm not sure if it has happened before, but I'd be pretty upset if the Canucks should ever pass on a talented player because of a supposed attitude problem.

11 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

little early, but probably goes top 5 in a 2019 redraft at this point

8 hours ago, Nooks said:

I’m in the overrated camp.  He will get better but defensively he’s like Myers blindfolded with his skates tied together.

I’d take him 4th in a redraft after Hughes, Cozens and Seider.

Matt Boldy should absolutely be ahead of Zegras and Cozens at this point.  He's been an absolute stud for Minnesota.

9 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Pass.

Zegras was anything but flashy this past year, and there's a couple reasons for that.  Firstly, the team was absolute dogshit.  Everyone regressed.  They earned that 2nd overall pick the hard way.  2nd lowest in the league for goals scored.  Doesn't matter how good one's playmaking is - if you have nobody to pass to, you're not getting an assist.  Secondly, because his team was so bad, they were always playing from behind.  You can't afford to make flashy plays all the time when you're trying to fight your way back into a a game.  He did have some great goals this year; one was a lacrosse goal (ultimately deemed offside), and the other was a between-the-legs goal... while trailing!!

As long as he can harness his abilities into pure offense, there's no reason he can't be an absolute superstar.  A decent comparison can be made with Patrick Kane.  Obviously Kane had a much higher ceiling (1st overall) and his team was much stronger, but he was also a punk kid from New York who eventually became the best American hockey player of all time.

Blackhawks' Kane Faces Charges for Dispute With Taxi Driver - The New York  Times

This guy.  Best American of all time.  He figured his shit out.

Zegras does need to rein in his on-ice attitude problems, though.  He led the team in penalty minutes and was 11th in the league for minor penalties taken.  That's really bad.

3 hours ago, Caboose said:

Not a fan of this player at all. I reckon saving the money for McTavish and Carlsson + the defence they are building will look like a shrewd move.

What will they do the next two years, then?  I feel like all three forwards should stay in the top six but you can only have two centres.  It's like LA, where Byfield is the odd man out and will have no choice but to play wing.  Someone's gotta do it.  Probably Zegras.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
  • Cheers 2

I feel the ducks is wary about his attitude and ego being an issue in the locker room in the long term and hope to see an improvement before committing to him long term. I’m not in the locker room but that guy have the me first vibe and ego that puts himself well ahead of the team. The ducks will get 2 more high picks in the next 2 seasons and if they are not sold on

Zegras they still have plenty to build around and Zegras will fetch them a massive package 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, dougieL said:

Having a bad attitude does not preclude a player from being an important contributor on a Cup winning team. I'm not sure if it has happened before, but I'd be pretty upset if the Canucks should ever pass on a talented player because of a supposed attitude problem.

Character is vital to a player’s success. Zegras lacks character. He’s a selfish player. Paying a guy with that kind of character as a core piece equals losing. 

one of the most overrated players in the game right now.  total crybaby. 

the type of game he plays will never work when it matters most. 

the only reason hes had the bit of success so far is because the league is turning this into a ladies league. 

Edited by EddieVedder
  • Upvote 1