The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Fitter than ever, Andrei Kuzmenko ready to take on the world

Rate this topic

RWJC

9 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Man we have a few great players on this team, if Boeser, Garland can take a step back to what they can be.. if Petey, Miller, Kuzmenko repeat their seasons or improve, and the added upgrades on defense come as advertised. It'll be a hard grind but they could win that wild card spot. 

So if everything goes absolutely right, we might make the last wildcard? Dream bigger haha

• elephant 1

36 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Is this a lotto max commercial? 

Okay they will win the 3spot in the Pacific, Edmonton and Vegas loose in the first round. They beat Colorado in 6 games for the conference final. Go on to best Florida in 5, win the cup. Yeah.

There we go, I can agree with this :metal:

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I love Kuz, such a fun person and you really need those guys on teams to gel.  He's crucial as a link between the rest of our Russians and the rest of our players.  

Kuz was a great add not just for the 50g potential but as a positive, fun personality on the team. 
Hopefully his fitness improves and his all around game gets better but don’t loose what he is as a player. 
Primary focus go to the net and score still, that is what you are getting paid for.   You can have a winger on the team that isn’t good defensively when they are scoring 40+ goals.  Someone who can do that and play all situations is special (see: EP40).  Glad to see he publicly seems to have that drive and say the right things. If can do it on the ice too then we will be looking good. 

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

After such a long offseason of training, unconventionally, and just how fit Kuzmenko actually looks, the guy has an incredible, high level of patience ... because ...  while he was in Bali ... obviously he did a lot of weighting.

He just flew in from Bali, and boy, are his arms tired!

ba-doom boom (crash cymbal)

• Haha 4

“I understand where I can be better, in the attack zone. Usually, for me, one shot in the game, two shots is good, but it’s not in the NHL. Usually, a forward needs two or maybe three shots in the game because I have a lot of moments.”

I wonder if Tocchet agrees that it’s in the attack zone and shooting more that’s the area he wants Kuz to be better at <_<

Lead the league in tip ins last year, he's got immense hockey IQ and we've got fantastic passers on our PP. Time to see more variety of goals - wrist shots, dekes, one timers etc. With Mikheyev now a big question mark, Kuzmenko is primed for a bigger year. 50G isn't out if the question if we're doing well as a team and Petey is on point again.

• Vintage 1

On 9/7/2023 at 8:27 PM, RWJC said:

Canucks: Fitter than ever, Andrei Kuzmenko ready to take on the world

If you are a follower of Andrei Kuzmenko on Instagram, you know he’s had a busy summer.

He has travelled a ton, whipping around the world from Georgia to Venezuela, to Bali then Brazil, to Thailand and Dubai.

And he has also worked out a bunch, regularly posting updates about his workouts, often showing off, shirtless, a burgeoning six-pack of abs.

His summer might be unconventional from a traditional hockey player standpoint, but it is very much tied to the core of who he is, something he highlighted in an exclusive conversation with Postmedia on Wednesday morning at the University of B.C., after playing in a very fun, very loose scrimmage with his Canucks teammates at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre.

“Last four years, every summer is a lot of travelling,” he said.

In general, he has visited about a half-dozen countries each summer.

This year, he blew through his previous record of seven.

“And now, it’s 15 countries,” he declared, with his familiar big smile. “I like it!”

That’s a lot of time in airports and airplanes.

“I think 120 hours of flying,” he guessed.

There was just one thing head coach Rick Tocchet asked of him.

“Tocchet said you need coach for gym,” Kuzmenko said.

And that was a great piece of advice, the sniper said. He has never been a big fan of working out, but for a reason familiar to many — just going to the gym and following a long list of workouts is boring.

He needs engagement, someone to keep him honest, to push him through to the end of the workout.

“So to have a coach, it’s so simple. He says, ‘Let’s go!’ I say, ‘I’m ready! Let’s go.’ This is so good for me.”

When he got to Bali in July, he arranged for two coaches to fly in from Russia to help him with his on-ice workouts at the Bali Ice Skating Arena.

And then he went to Miami, where his agent Dan Milstein is based, so he could skate with a larger group of mostly Russian players in south Florida.

On-ice in Miami, that was good. But off-ice, he was less convinced.

“It’s good weather, but for me it’s too hot. Yes, it’s too hot. It’s 34 degrees! I like it in Bali. Man, I had a tough month. I like to surf every morning. I go to surf, and after, I go to the gym. Beautiful weather in Bali. I like it. It’s not too hot. It’s maybe 28, 29 degrees. In the evening, it’s 21! I like this.”

Now he is back in Vancouver and happy to get things started.

He had plenty of success in 2022-23, his first season in the NHL, scoring 39 goals.

Whether he can repeat that scoring success again is on everyone’s mind, but not his.

“Oh, I don’t think about the last season because this last season has finished,” he said, philosophically. Yes, of course it matters than he can play in the NHL, but the new season means a new challenge.

He knows his overall game needs to improve — and he needs to shoot more, something he said last season as well.

“I need to work hard every season. This season is (a new) season,” he said. “I understand where I can be better, in the attack zone. Usually, for me, one shot in the game, two shots is good, but it’s not in the NHL. Usually, a forward needs two or maybe three shots in the game because I have a lot of moments.”

ROLL CALL — Attendance at Wednesday’s veterans-organized skate at UBC was the highest yet, with the likes of Elias Pettersson, Conor Garland and Pius Suter arriving back in town. Spirits were high throughout the scrimmage, which was split into two sessions with the ice being resurfaced in between and the goalies swapping out. Arturs Silovs and Thatcher Demko stood in for the first session, while Spencer Martin and Nikita Tolopilo played in the second. … Kuzmenko was delighted by the appearance of Pettersson. “Maybe the best centre in the NHL. So, so good.”

pjohnston@postmedia.com

twitter.com/risingaction

Glad you printed this. Just had a read before logging on to the forum. 

Lets talk Jeff Patterson for a second here. 

Here's a quote with in the article. 

"Jeff Paterson caught some sweet footage of Andrei Kuzmenko looking like he’s in mid-season form. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for Thatcher Demko:"

Lets not even talk about Demko being mid season form.

Jeff Patterson is one of the most negative local media people as in for years. Fine, he often has great points but one of the best attributes this guy has is throwing shade on even little successes. He is very good at pointing out the shortcomings of individuals or the team, the glass half empty side of things. It's his career. Find that little negative gem and spew it out. 

It's not even training camp and he's stating Demko isn't in mid season form. For starters I'm sure Demko is just fine

and won't be going Gump Worsley at an informal skate, at least I hope he won't be. 

Here's an interesting connected rea

After looking into Jeff Patterson I see I'm not the only one not impressed by this guy's work.

Here we have it again. Another person that likely has played little organized sports, beyond high school and beer league. 

I know there's a few on this forum that disagree but I think there's a clear advantage to playing the sport you cover at a high level. 

Jeff Patterson has to rely on stating the obvious then  finding his  negative speculative gem. 

2 weeks before training camp and he's already on Demko.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, aqua59 said:

Glad you printed this. Just had a read before logging on to the forum. 

Lets talk Jeff Patterson for a second here. 

Here's a quote with in the article. 

"Jeff Paterson caught some sweet footage of Andrei Kuzmenko looking like he’s in mid-season form. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for Thatcher Demko:"

Lets not even talk about Demko being mid season form.

Jeff Patterson is one of the most negative local media people as in for years. Fine, he often has great points but one of the best attributes this guy has is throwing shade on even little successes. He is very good at pointing out the shortcomings of individuals or the team, the glass half empty side of things. It's his career. Find that little negative gem and spew it out. 

It's not even training camp and he's stating Demko isn't in mid season form. For starters I'm sure Demko is just fine

and won't be going Gump Worsley at an informal skate, at least I hope he won't be. 

Here's an interesting connected rea

After looking into Jeff Patterson I see I'm not the only one not impressed by this guy's work.

Here we have it again. Another person that likely has played little organized sports, beyond high school and beer league. 

I know there's a few on this forum that disagree but I think there's a clear advantage to playing the sport you cover at a high level. 

Jeff Patterson has to rely on stating the obvious then  finding his  negative speculative gem. 

2 weeks before training camp and he's already on Demko.

He still better than Sekeres & Price. Here’s a recent picture of them:

7EC3A0C1-E5DE-474A-8B05-2391129D902E.webp

• Haha 1