The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

A Fantastic Fear of Everything - 6/10I like Simon Pegg, so this already had a high chance of succeeding. Pegg has a history of doing independent films in England, aside from his own (ie: Big Nothing, Run Fatboy Run), so this was a welcomed return. Long story short, Pegg is a children's author who has begun to have an irrational fear of everything. Was never meant to be anything more then a small independent film, so aspirations were not too high. The only other person I recognized in the film was the actress, who had a bit part in The Darjeeling Limited. Not a terrific film, but not terrible either. It was written & co-directed by the lead singer of Kula Shaker (remember them?).

Haha... Kula Shaker takes me back. Want their only hit a Deep Purple cover?

Thanks for the tip on the movie. Did you ever see Burke & Hare? One of Pegg's better recent offerings.

I'll give you a few...

Fruitvale Station 6.5/10

- An average movie but about a topic that interested me personally, as the happening was totally unfamiliar to me. The movie itself was okay, and what boosted the final score was the feeling/emotion that translated from it. Afterwards, it felt a bit forced. Like it was made in the loss of better ideas. That would be unfair to say, but that describes the feeling.

Goats 4/10

Why? A very, very poor man's Big Lebowski. And even that is an overstatement. Total waste of my precious free time.

Enemy of the State 9/10

No one else would probably rate this one as high as I do, but it's just one of my favorites all time. If you didn't see this when it was relatively new, it probably won't give you the right vibes anymore, even if you'd like conspiracy theories and movies around that subject. The technical stuff is outdated and that is one obvious reason why it won't get you the spark. That and a few silly details here and there. The attention to detail wasn't there and has become more and more vital to a successful movie nowadays.

Trailer Park Boys 3: Don't Legalize It.

Warning: Minor Spoilers

Overall: 5.5/10

Revolves around a tense relationship between the 3 main characters and their struggles to once again unite to help each other. Each protagonist has their own objective: Julian wants to sell a ton of urine for drug testing purposes, Bubbles wants to claim the inheritance left by his deceased parents and Richard wants to halt the impending legalization of marijuana (I guess Ricky votes Conservative)

The mood is sombre, especially for a Trailer Park Boys movie. It opens with a memorial service at the dump for Ricky's recently deceased father followed by saddening circumstances for each of the boys. None of them seem to be leading the happy-go-lucky shinny hockey in the street lifestyle I remember from the TV series. Bubbles is forced to survive under J-Roc's porch barely earning a living by delivering chicken and beer to people via bicycle.

Julian is stealing urine from the Armed Forces with the help of Jacob Collins. Only Ricky is doing what he normally does, growing dope, except this time, not in the trailer park.

The characters don't seem to have the vibrant sense of community they had in the old TV show. J-Roc tells Bubbles to hit the street, despite not having anywhere to go. Julian and Ricky seem to be at odds with each other, and even the antagonists Jim Lahey and Randy are hell bent on framing the boys to send them back to jail even though the boys themselves do not seem interested in the trailer park at all.

The movie seemed to reach familiarity later on when the boys finally reconciled and became a team again, and there were a few funny moments and rehashes of old jokes from the show, but in my opinion it was a touch too dark and ridden with angst to be considered a positive addition to the series.

^ good little review. wish everyone wrote blocks about their opinions on stuff. fun to read (not being sarcastic)

anyway, i just made the mistake on reading a bunch of stuff on Bryan Singer's, uhhh, "personal life" and his rather interesting casting couch habits (alleged?)

hollywood is disgusting

• Upvote 1

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: IMAX 3D- 10/10

This movie was awesome, it didn't even feel like 2 hours 30 min. I was into from start to finish, I might be a little biased because Spider-Man is my favourite superhero. It had fantastic action, cool 3D, awesome villains, great chemistry, and a good story. I can't wait for The Amazing Spider-Man 3 to come out now!!

Enemy of the State 9/10

No one else would probably rate this one as high as I do, but it's just one of my favorites all time. If you didn't see this when it was relatively new, it probably won't give you the right vibes anymore, even if you'd like conspiracy theories and movies around that subject. The technical stuff is outdated and that is one obvious reason why it won't get you the spark. That and a few silly details here and there. The attention to detail wasn't there and has become more and more vital to a successful movie nowadays.

Don't think I would rate it as high as 9 but I remember liking it. Maybe more like a 7. But it's the only Will Smith movie I've ever enjoyed.

This may seem ridiculous but I'm looking forward to the new Godzilla movie, every so many years I need a Godzilla fix and the time has come.

I'm also excited to watch Godzilla, the movie looks so awesome. It's actually gained a lot of hype, so I don't think it's ridiculous that you're looking forward to it.

Trailer Park Boys 3: Don't Legalize It.

Warning: Minor Spoilers

Overall: 5.5/10

Revolves around a tense relationship between the 3 main characters and their struggles to once again unite to help each other. Each protagonist has their own objective: Julian wants to sell a ton of urine for drug testing purposes, Bubbles wants to claim the inheritance left by his deceased parents and Richard wants to halt the impending legalization of marijuana (I guess Ricky votes Conservative)

The mood is sombre, especially for a Trailer Park Boys movie. It opens with a memorial service at the dump for Ricky's recently deceased father followed by saddening circumstances for each of the boys. None of them seem to be leading the happy-go-lucky shinny hockey in the street lifestyle I remember from the TV series. Bubbles is forced to survive under J-Roc's porch barely earning a living by delivering chicken and beer to people via bicycle.

Julian is stealing urine from the Armed Forces with the help of Jacob Collins. Only Ricky is doing what he normally does, growing dope, except this time, not in the trailer park.

The characters don't seem to have the vibrant sense of community they had in the old TV show. J-Roc tells Bubbles to hit the street, despite not having anywhere to go. Julian and Ricky seem to be at odds with each other, and even the antagonists Jim Lahey and Randy are hell bent on framing the boys to send them back to jail even though the boys themselves do not seem interested in the trailer park at all.

The movie seemed to reach familiarity later on when the boys finally reconciled and became a team again, and there were a few funny moments and rehashes of old jokes from the show, but in my opinion it was a touch too dark and ridden with angst to be considered a positive addition to the series.

that's one thing i loved about the movie the most. it was almost like countdown to liquor day-- it gives you that feel of "what happened to my trailer park?" but at some point, all the calamity we're so familiar with has to save the movie. i actually like the more dramatic take they go with the past two movies after their original director/creator dropped out, and the full on comedy from the big dirty to the more dramatic scenes from the next two movies, with the countdown to liqour day with lahey wanting to kill himself. that's actually kinda sad. this freaking franchise just gives me feels man

Edited by Twilight Sparkle

The Amazing Spider-Man 2: IMAX 3D- 10/10

This movie was awesome, it didn't even feel like 2 hours 30 min. I was into from start to finish, I might be a little biased because Spider-Man is my favourite superhero. It had fantastic action, cool 3D, awesome villains, great chemistry, and a good story. I can't wait for The Amazing Spider-Man 3 to come out now!!

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 UltraAVX 3D- 10/10

So I ended up watching it again, after just watching it IMAX 3D yesterday. I still loved every single minute of it (except for the people who showed up with little kids to the movie). This is the first time I have seen a movie twice in theatres, I think this might be one of my favourite movies.

V/H/S/2. 6.75/10.

Would've gotten way more if it was based solely on the totally campy, gory and fun 3rd segment of this flick. Overall a pretty good watch if you like horror movies now and again. Manages to utilize found footage in a way that often doesn't feel as stale as it should.

Edited by kodos

How was the first one?

I know that question isn't aimed at me, but I found the first V/H/S to be inconsistent and ultimately largely pointless. It was far from the worst horror anthology film I've seen, but no where near the top either, and that's kind of telling with the subgenre not exactly brimming with a lot of top quality stuff.

I suppose the level of enjoyment someone would get out of it would be directly tied to how they view the found footage format, but it's not like sticking that into the anthology formula makes it any more fresh.

who is the villain in the new spider man, anyway?

loved the comics as a kid, but couldn't stand that last movie. among the few who actually liked that toby maguire, or whatever his name is, as parker

who is the villain in the new spider man, anyway?

loved the comics as a kid, but couldn't stand that last movie. among the few who actually liked that toby maguire, or whatever his name is, as parker

The central villain is Electro, but the Green Goblin and Rhino are also in the movie. The Rhino is only there for about 3-4 minutes and the Green Goblin is there to set up for the upcoming movies.

You'll have to see the movie if you want to know how the villains are used throughout the movie, I personally thought they were awesome.

The actors are also awesome for each villain Dane Dehaan as Harry Osborne/Green Goblin, Jaime Foxx as Max Dillion/Electro, and Paul Giamatti as Russian Mobster (forgot name)/Rhino.

I also didn't like the first Amazing Spider-Man movie but as I re-watched I started to enjoy it more. I preferred Tobey Maguire over Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man as well, but Garfield did a really good job in this one. I am a fan of the Sam Raimi trilogy (including Spider-Man 3), but I think Amazing Spider-Man 2 was absolutely fantastic. This movie has received a lot of hate though, it may be a movie where either you will love it or you will hate it. The movie holds a 54% rating on RT critics reviews, which I think is absurd.

Edited by CanuckofSteel

Saving Mr. Banks 7/10

If you're in for a tearjerker based on true life story related to a beloved children's classic, like Finding Neverland, then this is for you.

Saving Mr. Banks is about the author of Mary Poppins, who Walt Disney tried to buy the movie rights from for 20yrs.

Acting is quite good. Both leads very, very good. Support also good. Story is fairly decent, revealing, but a bit easy to predict.

Just don't forget the box of tissues. I didn't need them though, except for that dust got into my eye.

Pesky dust.