The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You want more comparibles? That's not too difficult to be honest.

Cam Neely, when he was with us, played sub par. While there were a number of factors as far as I know that led to his trade, he didn't start playing well until Boston.

Jarome Iginla. He played reasonably well at the start, but not exactly how he played a few years later. In his 1st 3 seasons, his maximum point total was 51.

Milan Lucic. Did you know that, aside from his second season having 42 points, he wasn't exactly on fire at the start? Again, another power forward that needed time to develop into the game that we actually know him to play.

Nino Neidereiter. Now he's a really good comparable. He was sent to the minors similarly to Virtanen and didn't actually start producing until his 4th or 5th season.

There are a ton of other comparibles but hopefully you get the picture. Just because a phrase is said over and over it does not make it BS. In fact, most of those phrases are true as there is a reason behind those phrases. Could there be examples against those phrases? Of course and there always will, but just because someone may have a differing opinion to the cliches out there, it doesn't make them right in opposing that cliche unless if they've actually done the research to oppose them. Most of the time, you ask for people to come up with reasons as to why it's BS and they just keep stating how it's BS and not actually come up with any good reasoning.

I wouldn't say that about Neely

His 1st year he was playing behind Smyl and Tanti and scored over 30 points in 56 games

Then they drafted Sandlak and thought they had a younger bigger version

9 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I wouldn't say that about Neely

His 1st year he was playing behind Smyl and Tanti and scored over 30 points in 56 games

Then they drafted Sandlak and thought they had a younger bigger version

I mean compared with how he would play later on. I actually should have specified that in my post.

EDIT: There, fixed. Thanks. B)

Edited by The Lock

29 minutes ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Jake should be used on the PK this season, give him some more responsibilities.  His speed and takeaway ability could cause fits for the opposition and add another dimension to his burgeoning game.

...though it would likely drive his possession stats down, which would have CDC calling for his head...

I think he should be used on the PP, most likely the 2nd unit due to his high entry zone %, but who knows what Green wants...  giving him more minutes where he can use this to his advantage should also include 4 vs 4 and on the PK as well.  If he did get more minutes on the PK, it would raise his defensive game which he has already improved last year, as it stands, it looks like he played 55 minutes on the PK last season so it is a pretty good start for him.

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

I noticed Jake had a lot of his rushes coming from the left side.  He could be the perfect fit alongside Dahlen and Petterson.  But, he can also be lethal alongside Horvat and Boeser, in theory. 

I don't think so, unfortunately, passes to him are where the play dies. Jake just doesn't have elite offensive skills. Sure, it's a hard shot and he has speed but doesn't see the ice well enough to mix with any bonafide top six players.

This is not me saying we need to throw him in the trash, he's a serviceable enough bottom six player that can chip in once in a blue. It's not ideal due to his draft position but at least he can hang around the NHL.

I know there are some who think he's going to magically gain levels in elite on ice awareness and become a Cam Neely tier player but even the power forwards that took some time to blossom that are used as an example of why PF's take longer (they mostly don't) still showed the high on ice IQ's that Jake has never shown to posses.

Still this is not me pissing on him as he'll have a decent enough career and deserves support as it's not his fault he was drafted so high. It's not like you could decline it.

10 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

I don't think so, unfortunately, passes to him are where the play dies. Jake just doesn't have elite offensive skills. Sure, it's a hard shot and he has speed but doesn't see the ice well enough to mix with any bonafide top six players.

This is not me saying we need to throw him in the trash, he's a serviceable enough bottom six player that can chip in once in a blue. It's not ideal due to his draft position but at least he can hang around the NHL.

I know there are some who think he's going to magically gain levels in elite on ice awareness and become a Cam Neely tier player but even the power forwards that took some time to blossom that are used as an example of why PF's take longer (they mostly don't) still showed the high on ice IQ's that Jake has never shown to posses.

Still this is not me pissing on him as he'll have a decent enough career and deserves support as it's not his fault he was drafted so high. It's not like you could decline it.

Yes, plays died at him Before, even with WJC

I hope you are wrong 

I think what we see from this year, will most likely be what he will always be

I know a hard shot isn't everything (Didn't Guddy hit over 100mph at skills)

It is like a heavy hitter in baseball, who always strikes out, or can only hit homeruns late out of bounds

He may be another Kassian, or Sandlak, that we keep hoping will break out

Maybe all the young guys will push each other and try to outdo one another and have fun doing so

This year will tell us a lot of what he will be

Jake has been training hard this year based on the clips that have been available to the public. Hopefully this year he breaks out and shuts the haters up. Having a power forward like him in our top 6 and a man child(Gadjo) in our bottom 6 will surely make the canucks a tougher team to play, not to mention all the other North American players we have coming up. Really looking forward to this team transitioning to a tougher team that doesen't back down

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sikhguy23 said:

Jake has been training hard this year based on the clips that have been available to the public. Hopefully this year he breaks out and shuts the haters up. Having a power forward like him in our top 6 and a man child(Gadjo) in our bottom 6 will surely make the canucks a tougher team to play, not to mention all the other North American players we have coming up. Really looking forward to this team transitioning to a tougher team that doesen't back down

This training with barber is great for him the way barber thinks the game and is able to create for himself is huge.

spending this much time with barber and training with him something is bound to rub off on Jake 

20 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

What were you watching last year?  In the last 20-25 games Virtanen made something happen every time he received a pass.  And, how does he not have elite skills?  He has been THE guy at every level hes played at.  He played alongside McDavid at the world juniors and did not look out of place.  The line dominated every time they hit the ice.  

If i were a centreman, Id kill to have a player with Virtanens skills on my wing.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I can envision Elias making that perfect tape to tape stretch pass to Jake in full flight and Jake blowing past the D-man on his way to the net. Hopefully his stick work and shooting drills in the off season show up at camp and beyond.

I see Jake taking that stretch pass from Elias, and then pushing the D back to their net with his speed.  Then Jake could drive the net, or pull up and drop a pass back to Elias into all that space he forced to open up between the opponent's D and the blue line.  I see Elias having tonnes of space and time to work his magic.

• Upvote 2