The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our Defense SUCKS

Gretzky to Lemieux

I completely agree. If this team wants to go anywhere, Benning needs to add some D and WD needs to stop getting our guys to pinch almost completely. I know that our forwards need to be held accountable as well when it comes to scoring, but when a team lacks D that factors largely into a lack of scoring too.

Bieksa is fine. He is a heart and soul player who is going through a bad patch. Part of his problem is when the team is going through a bad patch he seeks too much offensive work in order to change things. He needs to learn to ration his efforts.

The team, if it has one fault is there are too many players who disappear. Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Kassian and lets be honest Bo.

If I was JB I would be looking for a way to offload Higgins Kassian and Hansen. We have waited too long for them to become consistent. In fact our poor spells even in the past have coincided with the disappearance of these players.

It is ridiculous that people are picking on Bieksa rather than the players above. At least Bieksa is in there battling and trying to tun the tide, these others with the exception of Burr just disappear.

I completely agree. If this team wants to go anywhere, Benning needs to add some D and WD needs to stop getting our guys to pinch almost completely. I know that our forwards need to be held accountable as well when it comes to scoring, but when a team lacks D that factors largely into a lack of scoring too.

See, the game after Hamhuis went out, we played fine without him.

This is not an issue of Hamhuis gone. Please are oversimplifying the situation.

I'd say this is a coaching and team issue.

After the second goal, the team stopped playing like a team. There was no puck support whatsoever in any of the zones, especially inside the offensive zones. That's on the coaching.

Miller wasn't given a lot of help, but you know, he didn't make one "big" save during the sequence. The team, as a whole, collapsed - and good teams don't collapse like that. The team still needs to be mentally stronger. That's on the team.

I would definitely search for a tough defensive defenseman. I am not aware of any of our prospects are ready to take the step into a full time role with the big club. We also won't get anyone in the next draft who can contribute in less than 3 years.

To me that means we package a player, prospect and draft choice to acquire an impactful top four defenseman. If the right deal is available I would do it in January before the deadline so that the new guy can become well acquainted with his teammates and the system prior to the playoffs.

And no I don't know the other team rosters well enough to suggest a good candidate.

Bieksa is fine. He is a heart and soul player who is going through a bad patch. Part of his problem is when the team is going through a bad patch he seeks too much offensive work in order to change things. He needs to learn to ration his efforts.

The team, if it has one fault is there are too many players who disappear. Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, Kassian and lets be honest Bo.

If I was JB I would be looking for a way to offload Higgins Kassian and Hansen. We have waited too long for them to become consistent. In fact our poor spells even in the past have coincided with the disappearance of these players.

It is ridiculous that people are picking on Bieksa rather than the players above. At least Bieksa is in there battling and trying to tun the tide, these others with the exception of Burr just disappear.

You forgot to mention the disappearance of the Sedin's. Two points in the last five games and pointless in three of those. Need better leadership then that.

You forgot to mention the disappearance of the Sedin's. Two points in the last five games and pointless in three of those. Need better leadership then that.

And the 2nd line that has been invisible for the past week or two.

Hamhuis does a lot for this team. He can carry a pairing. With him out, we now rely on Bieksa but he cannot. He needs to be protected as well, which is a joke given he is the second highest paid D on this team. Clearly, he cannot handle the minutes or the competition given to him.

Having Hamhuis out forced others to play a bit more. That was ok for a short period of time, but is beginning to wear down the other D.

First game back from a long road trip. Add these to each other and get blown out. Not surprising.

The next 4-5 games are where the questions get answered-one way or the other.

Edler and Tanev have been one of the best defensive pairings in the NHL this year. Maybe not from an offensive stand-point, but they've shut down just about every top line they've faced. It's our bottom-4 that are getting scored on time and time again, but our top pairing have been a complete shutdown pair.

We're used to having Edler paired with a guy like Salo or Ehrhoff and having them rack up the points while Bieksa and Hamhuis shut down opposing teams top lines, but now it looks like Edler is rounding out his defensive game with Tanev and they've become the foundation of this team. Without Edler playing the way he is right now, there's no doubt that the Vancouver Canucks are a non-playoff team. IMO he's our MVP this season.

As for Bieksa, Sbisa, Stanton and Weber, it's been pretty ugly this year. Can't ask much more from Stanton or Weber considering how little money they make and their smaller roles on this team (Stanton has filled his #5 role admirably), but Bieksa and Sbisa are our big problem. They have a couple of good games every now and then, but then get exposed and cost us a game every other game too. Sbisa was buried in Anaheim for a reason, he shouldn't be expected to play 20 minutes a night.

JB needs to go out and find us a solid, better rounded defence man who doesn't necessarily play physically but can put up points and is a + player to play 20 minutes, ideally with Bieksa.

Edler - Tanev

top4 - Bieksa

Sbisa - Stanton

When Hamhuis returns our defence will finally be deep enough to contend again:

Edler - Tanev

top4 - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Stanton

Only going to focus on Sbisa, Stanton, and Weber here.

7. Sbisa

8. Stanton

9. Weber

Sbisa was playing like a top-4 defenseman not too long ago. He's had a few bad games, but inconsistency alone doesn't make a good #5 D-man a #7

Calling Stanton a #8 is just plain dumb.

Weber has played many games at in the NHL, so calling him a #9 (which doesn't exist) is unreasonable.

Agreed. Edler & Tanev are the only legit top 4 defenseman (with Hamhuis injured). Bieksa clearly is not a top 4 defenseman anymore, Sbisa is not there yet (if he reaches that point), nor is Stanton (if he reaches that point), and Weber is not even an NHLer as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have Corrado playing over Weber(I've felt this way for a while now) because Corrado needs to develop and Weber isn't even really a #7.

That's probably the fairest way to put it. We shouldn't expect them to be top 4 D-men just yet.

But what you said about Weber is just unfair to him. He's a #7 D-man, who has done well enough as a third-pair D-man. Believe it or not, he has more points than any D-man but Edler!

It was tough watching Bieksa last night, I think he's lost a step. It's unfortunate but he wasn't getting back very fast after he'd been beat. His play reads were slow. Weber is just too small and I think that's all you're gonna get out of him.

I'm a little concerned with Stanton's speed.

How old is Hamhuis? We have to accept the fact he's getting older quickly too.

Thank God Edler is playing well again. And Tanev, this guy just keeps getting better. That's the back end anchor of the future. Vancouver isn't going to go out and spend big if their own future lies within.The money is spent on developing your own.

I think we're at the point of fans need to be patient.

If you east to Calgary they've tailed off a bit too, much in the same manner of Vancouver.

Lol. Speed is definitely not an issue with Stanton. He's an above average skater IMO.

Edler and Tanev are quite good actually. Hamhuis is still great. Stanton is just a young buck with a lot of potential.

Weber lacks the size and grit to truly be effective in the league as it stands today.

Bieksa is clearly in need of either recuperating from a nagging injury or being a healthy scratch. His play is mired in mediocrity as is his woefully inconsistent d partner, Sbisa. That guy is a project the Canucks don't really have the time to work on.

The defense can't legitimately suck with Edler, Tanev, and Hamhuis in their ranks.

Oh and blueberry pie is fantastic, especially with some vanilla ice cream. Right after smoking a huge bowl.

I agree about Stanton. And yes, Sbisa is inconsistent, but he isn't a project. He's just not the kind of guy who can play every game in the top 4 yet.

Edler and Tanev have been one of the best defensive pairings in the NHL this year. Maybe not from an offensive stand-point, but they've shut down just about every top line they've faced. It's our bottom-4 that are getting scored on time and time again, but our top pairing have been a complete shutdown pair.

We're used to having Edler paired with a guy like Salo or Ehrhoff and having them rack up the points while Bieksa and Hamhuis shut down opposing teams top lines, but now it looks like Edler is rounding out his defensive game with Tanev and they've become the foundation of this team. Without Edler playing the way he is right now, there's no doubt that the Vancouver Canucks are a non-playoff team. IMO he's our MVP this season.

As for Bieksa, Sbisa, Stanton and Weber, it's been pretty ugly this year. Can't ask much more from Stanton or Weber considering how little money they make and their smaller roles on this team (Stanton has filled his #5 role admirably), but Bieksa and Sbisa are our big problem. They have a couple of good games every now and then, but then get exposed and cost us a game every other game too. Sbisa was buried in Anaheim for a reason, he shouldn't be expected to play 20 minutes a night.

JB needs to go out and find us a solid, better rounded defence man who doesn't necessarily play physically but can put up points and is a + player to play 20 minutes, ideally with Bieksa.

Edler - Tanev

top4 - Bieksa

Sbisa - Stanton

When Hamhuis returns our defence will finally be deep enough to contend again:

Edler - Tanev

top4 - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Stanton

Stanton doesn't deserve to be benched.

Sbisa was in Anaheim for a reason, he shouldn't be expected to play 20 minutes a night.

That ship sailed. Benning decided to wait upon Hamhuis and test the depth of the players.

He found out where they're at.

What is troubling is that Hamhuis and Bieksa were not having the greatest start together to begin with and now Hamhuis is going to be coming off of a serious injury.

The team needs offense from the D but Bieksa,Hamhuis and Tanev don't provide it.

Hamhuis and Tanev are worth keeping around but Bieksa refuses to waive so JB has his work cut out.

Archived