The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Opinion] Free Pass for the Sedins

bigbadcanucks

They're getting caught up ice a lot more than past years.

They're playing the style WD has wanted the team to play but they lack the speed to get back when the puck gets turned over. I expect the Nucks to play a slightly different style over the next while. FIne to play an up-tempo aggressive style but only if you have the right horses and WD does not.

All that aside, they have reverted to their perimeter cycle play of late whether by habit or because teams are playing them harder. With neither being much of a threat to shoot any longer, they aren't going to generate much offense against any half decent team.

The first 10 games, they were producing at their Art Ross winning level. In the last 20, they've slowed down quite a bit.

Unless the Canucks can truly get a puck moving / PPQB type defenseman.... like a Christian Ehrhoff, I don't think the Sedins will be forced to play the cycling/perimeter game, thus becoming a one-trick pony.

The reality is they are both 34 and their point production is going to go down. Around this age, players like Gretzky and Lemieux started slowing down. In fact, most players slow down around this time, if not before this time. Sure: there are exceptions, but is it really fair to expect an exception to the trend of players that happens to even the greats of the game?

Thing is, the Sedins are still playing a high quality game on the ice. At the very least, other teams are forced to focus on them which gives other lines more chances to score and if one believes that's all they are doing then they are clearly not watching the games.

People really underestimate top defensive pairings and shutdown lines. In most cases the top defensive line will shutdown the top offensive line. That's why all 4 lines need to be scoring, it's almost as if its a domino effect throughout the lineup. If McDonagh and Girardi can be deployed against the Sedins every shift they can't be expected to score. Maybe when they were younger they could be expected to, but not anymore every line needs to get going.

Honestly, I'm more concerned with their defensive errors right now.

Sedins may lack breakout speed in their skating, but the big part of their game is passing. That's one of the ways they get into the offensive zone.

I believe the Salo/Ehrhoff factor was a big part of the Sedins point production. We miss that aspect of our defence and have not been dangerous there since their departure. Sure Garrison was brought in for that role, but he obviously paled in comparison.

They are overrated and It's a problem that has been going on for years not just a few games. They are really good at using what skills they have to maximize their point totals, but they lack other things that help a team win. They lose puck battles too easily, they lack intensity/aggressiveness, they are to easy to play against, they don't wear down opponents and they are weak defensively. AKA Joe Thorntonitis.

they just spent 14 days on the road away from the most important beings in their lives

they're not spring chickens, but they'll be fine with a bit of rest.

Yup.

Since the Ottawa come-apart they've looked completely gassed. Passing is off, blatant giveaways... But a bit of rest and refocusing should get them back on board.

It was talked on 1040. If it wasn't for depth scoring coming through, our top six is in the bottom six of the league in terms of production. They need to be better but what we see from them is what we're going to get. They're 70 point players at best.

I expect the Sedins to get 70 points for their salary and at their age. Probably 65 next year but 70 would be nice. Probably 60-65 for the final 2 years of their contracts.

I am going to jump on this bandwagon. As many people (including me) have previously commented, if the Sedins have a solid bounceback from the Tortarella fiasco we might expect them to get in the neighbourhood of 70 points (maybe in the 65 to 70 range). That's the upside. The downside is probably low to mid 50s.

They will have ups and downs in the season but, at their age, it is not reasonable to expect them (with Vrbata or anyone else) to be one the top lines in the league. They are very unlikely to ever by PPG players again.

At best they can be a legitimate 1st line -- maybe around the league average for a 1st line.

At worst, they would be more like a good 2nd line than a legitimate first line.

If the Canucks are going to contend they need a good second line, a solid bottom 6, solid D, and good goaltending.

Unfortunately, the 2nd line is big question mark, the D is questionable without Hamhuis, and the goaltending has been inconsistent.

The bottom 6, on the other hand, has been better than expected. But the Canucks need more than that to contend.

To me the big issues are: Miller has to start playing like 6 million dollar goalie and we need to get Hammer back ASAP.

The first 10 games, they were producing at their Art Ross winning level. In the last 20, they've slowed down quite a bit.

Unless the Canucks can truly get a puck moving / PPQB type defenseman.... like a Christian Ehrhoff, I don't think the Sedins will be forced to play the cycling/perimeter game, thus becoming a one-trick pony.

This is kinda it. They play a game that requires players to get open for shots. The more player on the ice with them that can read the plays and find open lanes the better, add a active D to the line and the chances would double.

The thing with the Sedin's is that you know what you have. A lot of pressure was off of them because you guys had depth. Well, now your second line is slowing down. Making it tougher for the Sedins.

They will be PPG players this year.. but you guys won't go for if all four lines are rolling. The Sedin's will struggle with physical teams, and Kesler isn't there to take up the slack. Your top six HAS to step it up throughout the playoffs.

They are overrated and It's a problem that has been going on for years not just a few games. They are really good at using what skills they have to maximize their point totals, but they lack other things that help a team win. They lose puck battles too easily, they lack intensity/aggressiveness, they are to easy to play against, they don't wear down opponents and they are weak defensively. AKA Joe Thorntonitis.

lol. you forgot something.....and they're out of shape

Archived