The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 NHL Entry Draft [June 24-25th || Buffalo, New York]

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yea that would be a good move.

The idea of drafting Dubois and Tkachuk is pretty enticing too though. We'd essentially have our future first line pretty much built. They would have to make some major moves to rebuild the D-core but our forwards would be looking great.

Tkachuk Dubois Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

They would be a killer top 6. A lot of size, speed and skill. 

McCann could be traded for a solid D prospect, in a package deal for a solid defenseman(Shattenkirk?) or we could keep him for insurance.

Yeah JB would need to completely shift his focus on the D-core if this scenario played out. We would have a position of strength at forward though.

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They would be a killer top 6. A lot of size, speed and skill. 

McCann could be traded for a solid D prospect, in a package deal for a solid defenseman(Shattenkirk?) or we could keep him for insurance.

Yeah JB would need to completely shift his focus on the D-core if this scenario played out. We would have a position of strength at forward though.

We could always build the D-core like Dallas and Detroit where you get some late round gems and college free agent signings. Benning seems to have found some promising looking players that way so far with guys like Tryamkin, Brisebois, Neill, Olsen, and Stecher.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We could always build the D-core like Dallas and Detroit where you get some late round gems and college free agent signings. Benning seems to have found some promising looking players that way so far with guys like Tryamkin, Brisebois, Neill, Olsen, and Stecher.

Yeah I am confident JB can build a supporting cast of 3-6 defenseman. I am hoping he can find some gems, like you said, that could be 1/2 defenseman.

It is nice having a GM who's best quality is his scouting ability.

Convince Edler to go to FLA, get FLA's 1st and 3rd rd pick. If you're not convinced that you can get Fabbro at wherever that FLA 1st rounder will be, then trade that 1st with our 2nd or 3rd, and try and jump into the 10-15 range TO GET DANTE FABBRO!!!!  You've just turned an aging, slowing player ,with a bit of an albatross of a contract, into a young, very intelligent RHD, who is a local boy, grew up a Canucks fan, and on the ice he has incredible hockey IQ, and is extremely dependable at both ends. With proper development he could turn into a niedermeyer/rafalski/shattenkirk type. This local kid is gonna be a stud!

35 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I am confident JB can build a supporting cast of 3-6 defenseman. I am hoping he can find some gems, like you said, that could be 1/2 defenseman.

It is nice having a GM who's best quality is his scouting ability.

After a false start relying on Weber and Bartkowski last year, I have hopes that Tryamkin, Larsen and Stecher can fill those gaps between them.  We'll see.

I'm not sure he adds a free agent RHD or just re-signs Hamhuis.  One or the other I think.

That's your supporting cast.

Then he'll take the forward with the 5th, and the best D remaining at 33.

As for top pairing D, if Benning wants to make the playoffs, I don't see him moving Edler or Tanev for a pick.  They're short of RHD so it's not Tanev, moving Edler means exposing Hutton.

Spitballing, but if they signed Hamhuis and Demers, they could move Edler for a 10-15 pick (maybe add a prospect) and run with:

Hutton Tanev

Hamhuis Demers

Sbisa Tryamkin

But it's not going to happen.  Benning isn't going to weaken the D, he's going to shore it up

12 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

After a false start relying on Weber and Bartkowski last year, I have hopes that Tryamkin, Larsen and Stecher can fill those gaps between them.  We'll see.

I'm not sure he adds a free agent RHD or just re-signs Hamhuis.  One or the other I think.

That's your supporting cast.

Then he'll take the forward with the 5th, and the best D remaining at 33.

As for top pairing D, if Benning wants to make the playoffs, I don't see him moving Edler or Tanev for a pick.  They're short of RHD so it's not Tanev, moving Edler means exposing Hutton.

Spitballing, but if they signed Hamhuis and Demers, they could move Edler for a 10-15 pick (maybe add a prospect) and run with:

Hutton Tanev

Hamhuis Demers

Sbisa Tryamkin

But it's not going to happen.  Benning isn't going to weaken the D, he's going to shore it up

I meant a supporting cast prospect wise. Not NHL roster wise. He has found a lot of defense that have potential to fill up the supporting cast 3-6 defense spots of the new core. Of course he will continue to add on what he has already gotten to insure that do have that supporting cast.

27 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think it came down to the fact that Weber and Bartkowski were about the best we could get with the capspace we had.  That being said, he signed them for just one year, as both an audition and expecting we would have better options for this coming year.

On 5/1/2016 at 6:18 PM, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Is Button out of his mind??? We're no way drafting Logan brown

image.jpeg

Why is it that SN and TSN go full retard when they make a mock pick for us?

8 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

When 9 in 10 scouts think tkatchuk is better not to mention virtually all other rankings have tkatchuk ahead of Dubois that has to mean something.  I am starting to jump onto the tkatchuk bandwagon, I think he is much safer bet to become a scoring winger then Dubois becoming a scoring centre, not that any of them will bust, but I love tkatchuk puck possession, Down low play , an of not being afraid to go to the bet mentality , something Hopkins Yakupiv and hall don't have ) these attributes come a long way. I'm gonna laugh at edm if they pass up on tkatchuk.  The amount of reports suggesting  he is better reminds me of that time kovalchuk was ranked higher then spezza.

I've been on the Tkachuk bandwagon all year long since him and Max Jones signed with London.

If ppl would recall....Tkachuk was leading the OHL in scoring since his first game and doing well enough before Marner rejoined the team.

He has been a freaking menace all year.

Now just look what he has done in the playoffs. Does London get as far as they have without Tkachuk? Does Marner/Dvorak have the jam to get it done without Matthew? I get a laugh when so many figure the guy is a slug and say he has so many red flags. 

Now....if you swap Dubois onto London and put Tkachuk onto Cape Breton, are the results the same? Perhaps

At #5 I am happy with either and I think if we are stupid enough to trade down and not be able to snag one of them, then imo, that is just nuts. 

If somehow Edmonton picks a D-man instead of BPA, it'll be interesting to see whether he picks Tkachuk or Dubois with a choice of either. Not an easy choice but a good problem to have.

I'm confident it's a win win either way. But I suspect it would be difficult to pass on Tkachuk, seasoned in that London player factory.

46 minutes ago, newgm said:

If somehow Edmonton picks a D-man instead of BPA, it'll be interesting to see whether he picks Tkachuk or Dubois with a choice of either. Not an easy choice but a good problem to have.

I'm confident it's a win win either way. But I suspect it would be difficult to pass on Tkachuk, seasoned in that London player factory.

i love tkachuk and the knights and everything, but it strikes me as a little odd for all his talent and his loinemates that he only scored 30 goals in the regular season to dubois' 42, but then he went on to score 16 goals in 15 playoff games - anyone have an insight into this?

17 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

i love tkachuk and the knights and everything, but it strikes me as a little odd for all his talent and his loinemates that he only scored 30 goals in the regular season to dubois' 42, but then he went on to score 16 goals in 15 playoff games - anyone have an insight into this?

You use goals to determine how good a player is?

The offensive stat is points.

Clayton Keller looks really good. He is very elusive and has good skating and quickness. His hands are amazing as well and a good release on his shot. The one area that he really stands out in is his hockey IQ. He has that innate ability to make an amazing pass to the open man anywhere on the ice. You can't teach that. He was good on the face offs as a centreman, but might be more effective in the NHL as a winger. The only weakness I can find on him is his size and strength. If that's the only weakness he has, then he is a very good young player. I think he has a higher chance of being a 1C than Dubois. His offensive ability simply cannot be taught. 

I dont want us to miss out on a potentially better player just because they lack some size and grit. That's what we have Virtanen for. 

In terms of playing style, he reminds me of a Kuznetsov or a Reinhart. Definitely not the biggest guys, but they can play multi-dimensional offensive games. I think that's something we need.

Keller - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - McCann - Virtanen

That looks pretty promising to me. 

P.s. I would put in highlights but I don't know how. 

2 hours ago, Jam126 said:

Probably because of the Virt thing, we picked him because of his size, biggest of the three, and they think we'll do it again. Even then, JB is the kind of guy that would likely pull such thing off

Hohum....another 3 goals and an assist for Tkachuk tonight in a 6-1 london win.  This guy is gold.  If Edmonton wants a Dman at #4 we better quickly give them one to keep #4 and #5.  I do not want Calgary getting either Tkachuk or Dubois.  Definitely not Tkachuk so I guess that tells me who we should be hoping to get.

3 hours ago, Jam126 said:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/damien-cox-mock-draft-nhl-draft-lottery-results-edition/

damian cox sucker has us PLD

Button mocked us too, by purposely ranking the consensus number 6 player in the second round. (Virtanen) he is once again at it again by having Logan Brown jumping literately 21 spots from his previous ranking from 27 to 5 in a span of 3 weeks, how the hell does one player jump in 22 spots is truly beyond anyone's guess, and exactly he's no longer employed by any NHL team.  We will kindly take Tkachuk.

Logon Brown has an impressive skill set and size, no question about it, his skill set (right now) is way too raw to be in a top 5, how the hell did he come up with that conclusion?  no one else even has him in the top 10, let a lone top 5.  He can mock us all he wants.

It's funny how TSN and SN are all on Auston Matthews' d*ck now because the world's are on. Every highlight is focused on him.

Typical Toronto homers.

its unreal how TSN  is taking highlite packages from his season and breaking it down for example

"Break away" it shows a video

"End to end"  shows a clip

"snip shot"  shows him sniping a goal, it's unreal. 

Archived