The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jarret Stoll Arrested for Cocaine and MDMA Possession

Pears

Kings suck. They're all addicts. Canucks are superior.

Won their Cups on it.

Sense of invincibility - CHECK

Actual increased power - CHECK

Fast calculating mind - CHECK

Extreme attention to detail - CHECK

Numb body - CHECK

It's the fast life in LA and Vegas. Where all you need is money and you have access. But getting busted for a controlled substance isn't a big deal. You'll get diversion for a first time offender... bigger problem is if your a NHL'er and working in Canada or the US on a visa.

We won't see him up here anytime soon.

Each and every team has there share of partiers, most of it just goes undocumented, rest assured, the Canucks, like 29 other NHL teams have their share of partiers who go beyond just the alcohol.

Unlikely, the Kings are well known and it's been well documented their drug problems, spousal abuse and potential terror links.

Nevada poses a bigger problem for Stoll than if he had been caught in California - would have classified as a misdemeanor in California due to relaxed drug possession laws. Nevada goes the felony route which is a far more serious charge. He'd better get a good lawyer to protect his ability to work in the US.

Just plain dumb all the way around.

I think that maybe you took a bit different context than others were meaning in their posts. Cocaine addiction is serious and I doubt anyone was ever trying to refute that. What I think people were trying to say is we shouldnt look down on him or blow it out of proportion that the guy got caught with some coke and MDMA. The fact that he got caught with the MDMA too indicates he was probably just out partying in Vegas, which honestly, isn't a big deal.

I dont think either Canada or America should be wasting their tax dollars or time on crimes like this either.

Addicts actually start out as people "just out partying"....but they set off the trigger on the leg hold trap, that's all. They aren't a special breed born with a rolled up bill growing out of their nose from birth...they've exposed themselves to something that will possibly consume them.

Crimes like this? Do you know what all the shootings are about right now in Surrey/Delta? Drug/turf wars. So no big deal, right. And legalizing all this crap just sends a message it's ok, so that argument doesn't wash with me. There'll still be greed that means people will go to war for a buck.

It is a big deal. When a professional, highly paid athlete is willing to risk it all and go down that road, it means he's not firing on all cylinders. Poor choices are being made. It certainly IS a big deal. I hope he gets his life back on track but this little bump in the road is fairly significant.

I don't think he's a bad person...some really good people fall into this hole. But if you think this isn't a bit of a big deal in his life atm, I'd guess you're wrong. Sure, young people party and this is part of it...but I've seen my fair share who've steered off the rails and never stopped. While others went on to a "different" life and settled down, they went off the deep end and it took over their lives. Or, worse yet, took their lives. So many.

Deb,

The message decriminalization sends is that our enlightened society cares for everybody.

We should treat addicts like the medical cases they are and not as if they are the criminals in this scenario; they need care, not incarceration.

(Do you really believe that young girls and boys would choose to stand on the street selling themselves if they were not trapped into a horrible cycle of dependence on the drugs their pimps hooked them on? Have you had any family members or children of friends who have ended up in this trap? Are they not worthy of help? Should they be locked up, often with criminals who continue to take advantage of them?)

Decriminalize drugs to take away the profit motive of drug dealing from organized crime.

Deb,

The message decriminalization sends is that our enlightened society cares for everybody.

We should treat addicts like the medical cases they are and not as if they are the criminals in this scenario; they need care, not incarceration.

(Do you really believe that young girls and boys would choose to stand on the street selling themselves if they were not trapped into a horrible cycle of dependence on the drugs their pimps hooked them on? Have you had any family members or children of friends who have ended up in this trap? Are they not worthy of help? Should they be locked up, often with criminals who continue to take advantage of them?)

Decriminalize drugs to take away the profit motive of drug dealing from organized crime.

Decriminalizing drugs sends more of a message that they're (the drugs) "ok"...they're not. I don't believe it says "society cares for you"...I think social programs, intervention and educating those involved with the drug addict do that. Having available resources, not making drug use easier and more convenient for them.

Just my opinion....I think the dealers will still do their thing and greed factors in. People get desperate and if they can't readily get the drugs, they're going to turn to those who have them.

Archived