The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to Bring Back Zack Kassian!

Zigmund.Palffy

I am happy for Zach and the fact he seems to have tamed the demons.  But am I the only one who thinks that if he threw that head shot hit as a Canuck he may have likely been thrown out of the game?  Yet the broadcast crew couldn't get out of their own way to praise him and not once mentioned the contact was directly to the head and it was a borderline hit.  

Hrudey went so far as to say he "loved the hit and we need more of that in hockey".  Did I miss something?

That was full beast mode last night, and it's not like the potential wasn't obvious while he was with the Canucks. Makes me wonder why they didn't hire a psychologist full time, just for Zack, would have been cheap money well spent.

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Haha please read all the posts re his addictions. We didn't do right by him, but he didn't do right on himself.

Glad to see he has cleaned up and is starting to make a career.

If management had any brains they would have put Kassian in Utica until he grows out of it, they decided it was better to trade him for Prust. How did that work out? 

1 minute ago, J-Dizzle said:

I need to learn how to post those face palmy pictures all the smart internet people use..... this whole thread could use a giant one. 

Yup, as a lot of posts here do. This a forum for discussion tho, relevant or not. Pick the ones ur interested in, might ease the pain a bit?

2 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

If management had any brains they would have put Kassian in Utica until he grows out of it, they decided it was better to trade him for Prust. How did that work out? 

Yup, didn't I say we didn't do right by him? Not disagreeing with your sentiment.

2 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I have a friend who deals with addiction and anger issues.  No matter what anyone else did, until he decided he wanted to change, nothing or no one could help.

Also, if I recall, most everyone on here was excited when Zack arrived. He'll do this, bring this, put him on the top line etc. Then when it didn't pan out a lot of posters were so down on him. Shiny new toy syndrome?

Keep in mind that with no McDavid, you would not be watching Kassian perform in the playoffs right now. It's comical to see everyone comparing a 24 point player to the second coming of Cam Neely. He's a decent support piece for the Oilers, nothing more. He got destroyed in all his fights anyway.

3 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I am happy for Zach and the fact he seems to have tamed the demons.  But am I the only one who thinks that if he threw that head shot hit as a Canuck he may have likely been thrown out of the game?  Yet the broadcast crew couldn't get out of their own way to praise him and not once mentioned the contact was directly to the head and it was a borderline hit.  

Hrudey went so far as to say he "loved the hit and we need more of that in hockey".  Did I miss something?

No, I was thinking the same thing.  Kassian is a loose cannon.  He was an inch or two from a suspension.  On the right side of the law, that can lift a team.  On the other hand, not so much.  I think he;ll run into discipline problems like Raffi Torres did.  Incidentally, both were pretty high picks Kassian 13 OA 2009, Torres 5 OA 2000

46 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Whatever.

last nights game game was awesome.

we could piss match all day about if it was a dominating performance that won the game or a team making the other look good.

in game one sj took over in the second period and never looked back.  And the oilers responded in game two in spades.  That is quite credible for the younger inexperienced team to do on home ice with freakin Gretzky in the house.

youre post has the tone of assuming I believe the oilers are this juggernaut team which I don't.   Playoffs are game to game and last night just happens to be a very impressive team performance in all areas.

and you are omitting the most important factor of that game:  hitting.  

If if you don't think the sharks were effected by the early barrage of hits you're being obtuse.  Sharks were hearing footsteps all night.  The oilers invested in creating their fortune and opportunities with the early physical play.

if you have watched this sport long enough you will know that quite often what happens in the regular season is largely different than what happens in the playoffs.

As I said, I never intended to sound bitter or to put the Oils down. I just find it funny ( And this is not against you ) how one good game from a tank team and its all "look how far away the Canucks are" , yes we will never have a McDavid, but the Canucks will develop their own identity.

The aggressive physicality for sure killed any SJ momentum. SJ's energy players where trying to amp their skilled guys up and Edmonton flipped it back on them and I give them due credit for that. They split the first 2 games which was indeed critical for a young team to do, especially opening up on home ice.

35 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That's not really that shocking.  Most top teams rely on their top producer. Especially the art ross winner

2010 Hank was part of 41.7% of canucks goals

2011 Daniel was part of 40% of canucks goals

2012 Malkin was part of 40% of Penguins goals

2013 St. Louise was part of 40.8% of Bolts goals

2014 Crosby was part of 43% of Penguins goals

Not saying it's shocking, just that its not like their team is made up of all stars, they have good utility players that are made better by the fact that they have a player who will probably continue to be a top 3 point producer for many, many years to come.   RNH and Eberle are great second liners make better by being in McDavids shadow, that's for sure.

16 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I need to learn how to post those face palmy pictures all the smart internet people use..... this whole thread could use a giant one. 

Here, let me give you a palm ^_^

facepalm-4.jpg

Screw Kassian...another no-show that didn't contribute when here but shines after he leaves.

Where was that commitment when you were a Canuck Zack?

And we got a bag of pucks for him. Another player that hurt rather than helped the team.

Every bit of hockey success he has just rubs salt in the wound.

Would have been better if he just faded away into oblivion.

Zack is on his fourth hockey team, and needed to get into an accident to get his life back on track. He's gone through a lot, I think he's a better man for it. 

But wanting him back? Just be happy for him. The Canucks will find someone else with size, but will have hockey IQ, and skill in the draft. 

I'd rather throw Darren Archibald a two way deal. 

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Zack is on his fourth hockey team, and needed to get into an accident to get his life back on track. He's gone through a lot, I think he's a better man for it. 

But wanting him back? Just be happy for him. 

32 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

As I said, I never intended to sound bitter or to put the Oils down. I just find it funny ( And this is not against you ) how one good game from a tank team and its all "look how far away the Canucks are" , yes we will never have a McDavid, but the Canucks will develop their own identity.

The aggressive physicality for sure killed any SJ momentum. SJ's energy players where trying to amp their skilled guys up and Edmonton flipped it back on them and I give them due credit for that. They split the first 2 games which was indeed critical for a young team to do, especially opening up on home ice.

Not saying it's shocking, just that its not like their team is made up of all stars, they have good utility players that are made better by the fact that they have a player who will probably continue to be a top 3 point producer for many, many years to come.   RNH and Eberle are great second liners make better by being in McDavids shadow, that's for sure.

Here, let me give you a palm ^_^

facepalm-4.jpg

That's incredible. 

13 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Trying not to sound like a ninny here, but is anyone gonna call a charge on the guy? Totally running around and he leaves his feet on every hit.

Are we talking Kassian or Ferland?

14 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Trying not to sound like a ninny here, but is anyone gonna call a charge on the guy? Totally running around and he leaves his feet on every hit.

How the **** you think the Flames beat the Canucks in the playoffs a few years ago?

By the officials letting a punk like Ferland taking runs at various Canuck players without getting any penalties.

Canucks do that - and the refs arm goes up....

9 minutes ago, kazin! said:

Are we talking Kassian or Ferland?

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

How the **** you think the Flames beat the Canucks in the playoffs a few years ago?

By the officials letting a punk like Ferland taking runs at various Canuck players without getting any penalties.

Canucks do that - and the refs arm goes up....

The Dillon hit was pure headhunting and Couture close to the same. Kind of reminds me of the exact hit that got him thrown out of the world juniors and I think a couple junior games as well (suspension?). It's actually what I was constantly longing for when he was here. I dunno. Loose cannon for sure. I just get so pissed at the officiating in the playoffs and I'm not a big fan of guys running around. I guess you can do that when you play on a tough team. Sigh...

Archived