The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

39 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

The 2011 Stanley Cup Final kind of proved the "beat 'em on the PP" theory is crock. 

We didn't beat them on the PP. We only scored 8 goals in 7 games. Maybe if our PP had been better, we might've come out on top. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

We didn't beat them on the PP. We only scored 8 goals in 7 games. Maybe if our PP had been better, we might've come out on top. 

Yeah you're proving my point. The threat of going down a man didn't exactly act as a deterrent for Boston.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Yeah you're proving my point. The threat of going down a man didn't exactly act as a deterrent for Boston.

Well the counter point is that if our PP actually was good, it would be a deterrent for them. So it was our PP that was the problem, not the method of "revenge".

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Well the counter point is that if our PP actually was good, it would be a deterrent for them. So it was our PP that was the problem, not the method of "revenge".

Right and our PP was very good all year, so it still doesn't act as a deterrent because if the other team is capable of shutting it down its not very intimidating.

15 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Seriously? Nobody cares about wins and losses in the preseason. But sending a message that dirty plays on our stars will result in physical retribution carries over into the regular season.

The score doesn't matter, but the Canucks lost (Boeser)

The Canucks have had PTSD since Bertuzzi's hit on Moore. It's almost as if the Canucks coaching staff since has been very afraid to let violence back into the game (well, except for Torts when he charged the Flames room lol)

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Here's the thing....We did beat them on the scoresheet. Boeser was taken out with a dirty hit, we got the PP, and we scored. Now, if the "Make 'em pay on the PP" crowd are correct, that should be enough to act as a deterrent, and our star players shouldn't be targeted any more. Everybody's happy. 

However, if Petey or Boes are targeted yet again, it'll go to show that the "beat 'em on the PP" theory is a crock.

We shall see. 

Nothing has been shown to prevent dirty hits. Not strong PPs, not fighting, nothing. 

Fighting is wanted as it gives fans a sense of justice.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, stawns said:

When was the last time you saw someone tomahawk chop another player like Ciccarelli did, or smoke a player on the side of the head like McSorley did?  When was the last time you saw a Bertuzzi incident?

This is the least violent the game has ever been, by a long shot.

Running guys from behind face first into the boards is an improvement? Elbowing a goy like happened to Baertschi concussing him again is an improvement? Ciccarelli and McSorley both got suspensions - long ones - no suspensions on thecFantenburg, Baertschi, or Boeser hits  - illegal plays resulting in injuries.

13 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Running guys from behind face first into the boards is an improvement? Elbowing a goy like happened to Baertschi concussing him again is an improvement? Ciccarelli and McSorley both got suspensions - long ones - no suspensions on thecFantenburg, Baertschi, or Boeser hits  - illegal plays resulting in injuries.

Dont forget that dirty POS Kadri’s TEXTBOOK BLINDSIDE HIT TO THE HEAD OF DANIEL SEDIN. With no suspension. The league is very inconsistent, but they are for damn sure consistent with lack of supplemental discipline on any of the opposing Canuck players

On 9/26/2019 at 2:12 AM, knucklehead91 said:

Dont forget that dirty POS Kadri’s TEXTBOOK BLINDSIDE HIT TO THE HEAD OF DANIEL SEDIN. With no suspension. The league is very inconsistent, but they are for damn sure consistent with lack of supplemental discipline on any of the opposing Canuck players

The nucks get beat from all sides.  Remember the Edler hit on Hertl.  

Hertl put himself in a horrible position reaching for a puck.  Edler had the angle and lowered himself into a crouch to reduce the height of the contact.  But Hertl's helmet came off and Edler got 3 games for a clean hit without any injury.  

This hit, if held to the same standards would result in a 5 game suspension.  

It should.  The 'experts' talk has centered on how unusual it is to see this type of hit on a PP.  It classic boarding on top of the lateness.  

Look at the Rome hit in center ice during the SCF... the puck just off Hortons stick.  Tierney took 3-4 strides after Brock passed the puck prior to the hit. 

Brock doesn't have the puck, gets boarded by a player who took himself out of position to hit Brock into the boards.  

In many ways this meets most if not all the defining aspects of a suspendable hit.  But silence for the OPS.  

Bush league.  Hold all players to the same standards or let the players start policing themselves again.  

Its stuff like this that makes me turn off the games and stop watching.  

• Cheers 1

Go media go!

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/oh-hey-the-nhls-player-safety-department-is-awake-just-not-for-boeser-or-fantenberg

Oh hey, the NHL's player safety department *is* awake — just not for Boeser or Fantenberg

Published:September 27, 2019

Updated:September 27, 2019 1:18 PM PDT

The NHL issued a high-sticking fine on Friday, but hasn't said anything about the concussion-causing hits suffered by two Vancouver Canucks this week.

It turns out the NHL’s department of player safety hasn’t been taking pre-season off: they’ve issued a fine for a high stick.

The league announced Friday morning that Tampa Bay Lightning winger Cedric Paquette has been fined $2,500 for high-sticking the Florida Panthers’ Frank Vatrano in a game on Thursday night.

If it was a brutal blow, no one seems to be saying so.

Of course, it makes you wonder what the DoPS was doing earlier this week.

Remember this hit?

Here's the hit on Oscar Fantenberg. Jordan Szwarz got five and a game for his part in the hit, which was in the numbers. #Canucks #Senators

Embedded video

Or this one?

(Tierney has apologized for his actions in the incident, so some credit to him.) The guilty Senators — Jordan Szwarz on Oscar Fantenberg, Tierney on Boeser — were both penalized in the moment, but DoPS deals with supplementary discipline. The key word there being “supplementary,” as in additional.

Both Fantenberg and Boeser are out with concussions. You’d think the NHL would want to clamp down on ugly plays like the two above, but it seems not.

What else is new.

• Upvote 3

On 9/25/2019 at 8:20 AM, Darius said:

Some interesting takes in this clip

Other thing that stands out: Tierney took 4 or 5 strides while BB had his back turned to him.  The whole notion that  BB should have not turned his back is BS imho.  Its not like he suddenly turned his back  and exposed himself.  The offending player had a significant amount of time (in hockey terms) to make a decision and to respect BB's safety.  It was a mean nothing pre-sesaon game and there was absolutely no reason why that type of hit needed to be executed.

He did not take 4 or 5 strides into the hit, he was gliding. It was a dirty hit but you don't have to make stuff up to make it dirty, it was a stupid hit from behind. 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He did not take 4 or 5 strides into the hit, he was gliding. It was a dirty hit but you don't have to make stuff up to make it dirty, it was a stupid hit from behind. 

Instead of calling me out for being dishonest maybe read what I said and actually watch the whole clip. I said he took 4 or 5 strides while BB had his back turned.  At 16 second of the clip Tierney starts taking multiple strides while BB had his back to him. The fact that the strides were followed by a glide has no bearing on my statement.  It is up to you to explain how I made stuff up.  Did he not have his back turned when Tierney started taking his strides?

You are "making stuff up" by implying I stated that he took 4 or 5 strides "into the hit".

The whole point of I was trying to make, of course, was that Tierney had plenty of time to realize his actions, and that none of the responsibility should have been on Brock for the hit.  He did not turn his back the last second, nor did he put himself in a compromising position in a time frame which gave Tierney little time to change the course of the hit.

Edited by Darius
  • Upvote 1

it was a hit from behind that certainly didn't need to happen, and yes Tierney came from the far side by the goalie straight toward Boeser, it was a dirty hit and a joke that Tierney said he was sorry and didn't mean to do it, sure he did.  and also a joke that all he got was a 2 minute penalty

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Darius said:

Instead of calling me out for being dishonest maybe read what I said and actually watch the whole clip. I said he took 4 or 5 strides while BB had his back turned.  At 16 second of the clip Tierney starts taking multiple strides while BB had his back to him. The fact that the strides were followed by a glide has no bearing on my statement.  It is up to you to explain how I made stuff up.  Did he not have his back turned when Tierney started taking his strides?

You are "making stuff up" by implying I stated that he took 4 or 5 strides "into the hit".

The whole point of I was trying to make, of course, was that Tierney had plenty of time to realize his actions, and that none of the responsibility should have been on Brock for the hit.  He did not turn his back the last second, nor did he put himself in a compromising position in a time frame which gave Tierney little time to change the course of the hit.

He has to get to Brock to make a play, he made the wrong one when he got there though. The 4 or 5 strides comment is neither here nor there as he has to skate to make a play. 

It was a dirty and stupid hit but it wasn't charging. The officials did drop the ball on the call and the league as well for not at least even handing a fine Tierney’s way. 

Brock like many young players has to also not put himself in a position to be hit like that too. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He has to get to Brock to make a play, he made the wrong one when he got there though. The 4 or 5 strides comment is neither here nor there as he has to skate to make a play. 

It was a dirty and stupid hit but it wasn't charging. The officials did drop the ball on the call and the league as well for not at least even handing a fine Tierney’s way. 

Brock like many young players has to also not put himself in a position to be hit like that too. 

This is irrelevant to the point I was making.

Some people were putting some of the onus on BB for the hit.  My point was that BB did not turn his back the last second, nor did he give Tierney little time to change the course of his actions.  I stated very clearly he took 4 or 5 steps while BB had his back to him with the implication that he had plenty of time to make  a decision whether to hit a player in a vulnerable position. 

Nowhere did I say  that he took 4 or 5 strides directly into the hit. Nowhere did I mention "charging".

We agree on most of this, I just dont like being accused of lying.

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 1