The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

Jasek providing a lot of versatility and ultimately his conversion to center despite being a natural winger shows he is a very teachable player.

This will be a huge huge asset for him moving forward, and frankly when players can adapt to the responsibilities this quickly and be successful, shows also their smarts/Hockey IQ altogether has a huge strength.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

And it's a compliment to our prospect depth that few are talking about Jasek's future with the Canucks.  It will be very interesting to see what the future holds for him.  Because of the lack of centre depth in Utica, that's where he's been playing, but not sure if he would be capable of playing centre in the NHL.

He could be a Burrows-type guy in the sense that initially his bread-and-butter will be a defensive, hard-to-play-against shut-down role (for which there will be room in our bottom-6), but he has the upside to become a solid middle-6 player down the road: speed, drive, tenaciousness, IQ and some hands.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, joe-max said:

He could be a Burrows-type guy in the sense that initially his bread-and-butter will be a defensive, hard-to-play-against shut-down role (for which there will be room in our bottom-6), but he has the upside to become a solid middle-6 player down the road: speed, drive, tenaciousness, IQ and some hands.

Agreed

Btw, PK goal for Jasek today!  

An update on Jasek:

UTICA – Lukas Jasek is learning and adjusting in his second full season with the Comets.

For the 22-year-old Jasek, a native of the Czech Republic, one of the best examples is his improvement in speaking English since joining the Comets in April 2018.

The soft-spoken Jasek has a good grasp of the language, but it can be stilted at times when describing his play with the Comets and how the team has fared through 22 games this season.

"Last year was tough because my English wasn’t so good,” Jasek said. “But, this year I’m feeling better. My girlfriend is here with me, so it is very nice. My English is better so I (can) speak with the guys and other people, so that’s nice.”

Jasek said he’s made an effort to learn through a few different ways.

“It is hard when you don’t understand English, so you can’t watch TV,” he said. “I just try watching everything. If you listen to words every day in English, you learn too. I think I just have to listen and take some time and it will get better.”

Jasek, who is often referred to by the nickname “Jazzy” by others on the roster, said his teammates have been helpful. He said it also been beneficial to have veteran forward and fellow Europen Sven Baertschi on the team this season.

“They try to help me so much,” Jasek said. “Sometimes it is tough because it is really hard to learn English.”

There’s been another challenge this season Jasek, a sixth-round draft pick by the Vancouver Canucks in 2015 who earned a contract after a strong showing on an amateur tryout with the Comets toward the end of the 2017-18 season. He finished with 29 points last season.

The skilled Jasek has shifted from wing to center this season with the team thin at the position. Similar to last season, Jasek has played throughout the lineup. This season, he’s gained experience being on a offensive line with Baertschi and Nikolay Goldobin as well as playing a more defensive role down the lineup. Jasek, who appears solid defensively, added a penalty kill role this season.

“I think it is a good experience to play center,” Jasek said. “I’m happy to play there.”

Jasek was effective last weekend against Toronto. He finished with a goal and assist in Sunday’s 5-3 loss to the Marlies.

“I think he’s done really well,” said Kole Lind, who was linemates with Jasek for a few games in mid-November. “By playing center, I think he’s learned a lot more about the responsibilities in his own end. ... I think he’s stepped in to that role really well and he’s kind of embraced it when we’ve been lacking some center depth.”

Jasek said he continues to work on the physical side of his game as well as being better on faceoffs.

“I try to be a two-way forward,” Jasek said. “I just try to play my best and I can be better, of course.”

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/17/2019 at 11:49 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Just a little observation so far:  Utica coaches seem to have a lot of trust in Jasek and MacEwen on the PK.  I actually see an easier path for them to the NHL as opposed to guys like Lind who would have to displace someone in the top 9.  

If one or two of our regular PK guys get injured, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jasek or Zack get called up.  

Interesting viewpoint, Burrows and Kesler were both initially deployed in the NHL on a checking line and PK pairing. That definitely was a pathway to greater things.

I find the reaction around Jasek playing center interesting. Didn't he suite up as a center fairly frequently in the Czech leagues? It's strange to me that there seems to be so much surprise around his being able to adjust to the position in the AHL pretty quickly.

It sounds like Jasek has been making good strides in all aspects of his game so far this year which is exciting. Definitely rooting for him to be the next Hansen/Burrows type player for the Canucks. 

On 12/5/2019 at 4:45 AM, Diamonds said:

I find the reaction around Jasek playing center interesting. Didn't he suite up as a center fairly frequently in the Czech leagues? It's strange to me that there seems to be so much surprise around his being able to adjust to the position in the AHL pretty quickly.

It sounds like Jasek has been making good strides in all aspects of his game so far this year which is exciting. Definitely rooting for him to be the next Hansen/Burrows type player for the Canucks. 

Lukas Jasek is quietly having a very promising season. His move to center has gone well and he may may get a call up to Vancouver later on in the season if he continues improve at the pace he is currently on.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
grammar
  • Cheers 3

54 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Lukas Jasek is quietly having a very promising season. His move to center has gone well and he may may get a call up to Vancouver this later on in the season if he continues improve at the pace he is currently on.

He has become as good on the defensive side as he is on the offensive side.  He has forced me to change my mind on how good of a prospect he is. :)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

He has become as good on the defensive side as he is on the offensive side.  He has forced me to change my mind on how good of a prospect he is. :)

Who would've thought that Utica could develop? Wouldn't have guessed it based on last season. And look it's a Euro too!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Comets’ Jasek pushing to enhance play

UTICA – Lukas Jasek had some mixed emotions.

The skilled Czech center was pleased after tapping in his career-best 10th goal of the season following a shot by Brogan Rafferty to help the Comets escape with a 6-5 overtime win against Hartford on Wednesday after surrendering a big lead. However, the 22-year-old isn’t content with his play.

“I know I can be better,” said Jasek, who has three game-winning goals this season. “To be honest, I’m not happy with how my season is going (in terms of points production). I’m trying to do my best and trying to do everything I can in practice. I just want to be better every day.”

Rafferty said Jasek getting the goal was a credit to his recent performance.

“He’s playing well for us,” Rafferty said.

Thirty-nine games into his second pro season, Jasek has played throughout the lineup as what Comets coach head coach Trent Cull refers to as a utility role. Jasek – who appears to be a solid player defensively – is carving out a role on the team’s 10th-ranked penalty kill while also seeing some time on the power play, which is fifth-best in the American Hockey League.

“He was further down the lineup and I wanted him to show something more. We talked about that,” Cull said Thursday as the team prepared to take on Hartford again Friday. “He had more of an opportunity from me (Wednesday). I thought he got better as the game wore on. We’ve talked about all situations and the opportunity is there.”

Jasek has moved to center this season after a solid season playing on the wing with the Comets. The move was out of necessity as the Comets have needed some help down the middle. John Stevens was acquired last week to help fill the need at center for the Comets, who have also recently been without Seamus Malone (shoulder; participated in an optional practice Thursday) and Wacey Hamilton (broken foot).

Jasek said he likes the move to the middle. It allows him to do more, he said.

“I like it more than the wing,” Jasek said. “I can skate anywhere and I can help the team that way. I like it because I can be the playmaker on my line.”

• Cheers 3

• 2 weeks later...