The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Training Camp Thread

-Vintage Canuck-

Considering we could have Cracknell and Grenier or Kenins for 200k more than Vey, it makes sense from a cap standpoint too.

We should keep The Cracker around just for his name. Love Coltrane.

Kidding aside, Cracknell was a nice surprise as a depth guy who isn't talked much about.

So what I think will happen is Virtanen and Mccann will stay with the team and theyll send down Hutton, then when the season starts theyll give Mccann his 9 games then send him to junior and call up Gaunce, and with Higgins possibly goung to LTIR that will let them call up Hutton as well.

With Gaunce and Kenins sent down, everything seems settled to me. Send down Cracknell and Biega, giving us a 23 man roster.

Cracknell shouldn't be kept at the expense of Vey, Hutton, or McCann being in the NHL. And in Vey's case, it would be losing Vey forever in favour of Cracknell, which is just terrible asset management. Even if you think Cracknell is better, the difference between him and Vey isn't enough to justify losing the younger player for nothing.

With Gaunce and Kenins sent down, everything seems settled to me. Send down Cracknell and Biega, giving us a 23 man roster.

Cracknell shouldn't be kept at the expense of Vey, Hutton, or McCann being in the NHL. And in Vey's case, it would be losing Vey forever in favour of Cracknell, which is just terrible asset management. Even if you think Cracknell is better, the difference between him and Vey isn't enough to justify losing the younger player for nothing.

Yup - and it looks good!

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-McCann-Dorsett

Vey

IR: Higgins

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bartkowski

Hutton-Sbisa

Weber-Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

Yup - and it looks good!

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-McCann-Dorsett

Vey

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bartkowski

Hutton-Sbisa

Weber-Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

I like this I like this a lot. However My bottom six would be

Prust-Sutter-Hansen ( Prust would play way better if he wasn't with Dorsett, Use his physicality, and speed better IMO )

Burrows-McCann-Dorsett ( More of a third line )

Yup - and it looks good!

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-McCann-Dorsett

Vey

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bartkowski

Hutton-Sbisa

Weber-Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

I think that there will be one more cut because Higgins is on IR and not LTIR. He isn't expected to miss a month of the regular season - they said they were going to revaluate him 3 weeks after the injury (ie one week into the season while LTIR is a minimum of 24 days and 10 games).

It's also a cap space issue. Before the Higgins injury McIntyre during one of the intermission was suggesting that the Canucks wanted to go with 13F even if they only kept 7D. He didn't elaborate but I am going to guess it's because of the lack of cap space and the need for them to bank it as fast as possible for potential injury call-ups.

As far as I know an injury recall can only happen if cap space is available (not the case) or has been banked unless they use LTIR but it's doubtful that every injury will be LTIR so they need to bank cap space for those inevitable short term injuries.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the last preseason game. There was an article in the Sun today, wherein Vrbata voiced his frustration about not knowing who he's playing with. It's been the case this preseason that every line has been shuffled, game to game. I hope they use the next game to create chemistry and solidify who will be playing. That being said, I would have McCann in over Vey/Cracknell and would keep the 'kid' line together. Give Hutton another look, and hope that Miller can get a rhythm going.

Yup - and it looks good!

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen

Prust-McCann-Dorsett

Vey

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bartkowski

Hutton-Sbisa

Weber-Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

Unfortunately, it looks like that roster would need one more cut to be cap compliant.

According to General Fanager, the Kenins demotion leaves us with a 21 man roster (Higgins included) and $1,837,334 in cap space:

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Burrows, Sutter, Dorsett, Hansen, Higgins, Prust, Vey, Baertschi, Horvat

Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev, Sbisa, Bartkowski, Weber, Corrado

Miller, Markstrom

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/vancouver-canucks

Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton each run about 850-900K, so we can fit two of the three.

Unless someone is traded or one of the waiver eligible guys (Corrado, Vey) gets sent down.

But without moving salary, or placing Higgins on LTIR (and him missing at least the first ten games), the active roster will probably have to be 22 players while Higgins is out. Assuming Biega and Cracknell are Utica bound, it means one of Virtanen, McCann, or Hutton must also be cut.

Personally, I'd send Hutton (with great reluctance) to the Comets for now, and start with Virtanen and McCann (giving us 13 forwards and 7 defensemen). Give each of them their 9 games and see if they do enough with it to earn more. Then, if one (or both) goes back to junior, you could have a spot open for Hutton (and/or Gaunce) to come back up from Utica.

But as things stand right now, once the season opens, this team won't have a 23 man active roster until Higgins comes back. We just don't have the cap space to carry extra players on injury relief (except LTIR). When a vet goes down with a "short term" injury, the active roster will also go down (and stay down) by one man (because we can't afford to call someone up).

Hopefully this team doesn't get too banged up because things get tricky when you have less than 18 skaters.

Maybe I'm harping on this point too much but it still bugs me that Benning took on Prust's full salary (and a net cap gain of +750k) in the Kassian trade. I'm not so much bothered by the exchange of players but that Benning didn't demand salary retention when he surrendered an extra draft pick for Prust. Maybe it wasn't the worst example of Benning mismanaging the financial side of things but it was one of his last moves (and therefore one that he made when this team's salary cap picture was finally coming into focus for this upcoming season).

The Habs currently show a 22 man roster on General Fanager (23 including the Fleischmann PTO) with nearly $3 million in wiggle room under the cap (so they probably could have afforded to hold back some salary on the deal). We're going to be very tight against the cap (probably only about 100K below the upper limit, assuming we keep two of Virtanen, McCann, or Hutton) until Benning makes a trade a moves out one of the veteran salaries. Undoubtedly, this will happen at some point, but possibly not until around the trading deadline. But he's handcuffed himself for opening night (and possibly much of this season) and it was fairly predictable than we'd run into injuries. He should have left enough room to deal with such a possibility (maybe Gilman would have helped here).

Having an extra 500K would mean having room to add one of our cheaper contracts. Having the $750K given up in the Kassian trade would mean we could add one of our top ELC salaries. Or moving Kassian (with or without that pick) for a prospect would have left us with the cap space and roster spots to consider keeping Virtanen, McCann, Hutton, AND Gaunce (not that all of their performances could have been predicted), and still have enough wiggle room to carry extra guys on injury relief, just in case multiple veterans get banged up at the same time (which tends to happen at some point during most seasons).

Maybe it's not a big deal. Maybe Benning is planning to make an early season trade to give him some flexibility. Maybe all our veterans will just stay healthy. I really hope so.

But it's gonna get rough if we have a few vets banged up at the same time and can't bring in reinforcements because we don't have the cap space. Even worse if the guys are lighting it up in Utica and we're sitting with open roster slots (under the 23 man active limit), but no money to bring them in.

I don't mean to sound negative. I'm actually pretty optimistic about this season. And I can't wait for the puck to drop (for real). The emerging young players have really created a buzz and brought new energy and optimism to this team. But it sure would be nice if we at least had the option to keep all three of Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton, instead of only having the cap for just two of them. And it would be great if we could also afford to call up our best Utica players this season whenever spots inevitably open up due to injury.

Is that really asking too much?

WE are not the only team in CAP stretch to the max, Chicago released a 4.5 million dollar player the other day.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

It will be tough to see three kids sent down that could help an slide into rolls that would be instant upgrades on what we currently have locked up under contract.

"You are all in" there are no half ways about it grand slam or not? it is a very tough spot to be in right now for season start.

"Triple double" is my vote for the kid line. I fish you get them on salmon fishing an in basketball it is a premier stat achievement in a game. It also sounds like an excessive hamburger they are all capable of multiple point night games hence triple double.

ps alot of players out there on PTO s so I dont see vets moving anytime soon either, nor being traded

"IT IS WHAT IT IS"

Package Sbisa, Vey & prospect(Shink/Jensen??) for Jeff Skinner's 5.7 AAV(someone mentioned Salo-Skinner's like that, in terms of health).

Carolina can't afford an oft-injured, game-breaker.

Even claim another middling D off waivers..just get rid of Sbisa's wasted 3.6

They'd have to retain for us to do that.

"Triple double" is my vote for the kid line. I fish you get them on salmon fishing an in basketball it is a premier stat achievement in a game. It also sounds like an excessive hamburger they are all capable of multiple point night games hence triple double.

The animal line. Bear, Ox, Snake.

Jesus it bugs me when guys like you say dump a player with nothing to back it up. It's not like taking a crap and flushing it away.

We have a log jam of right wingers, and Hansen is easily the most replaceable, he also doesn't bring anything to the table that our other right wingers don't. He can't score with the Sedins or play powerplay sniper like Vrbata, he can't play a checking role as well as Dorsett and Virtanen is faster with a much better skill set. With depth Grenier is an easy call up and Vey can easily play on the wing.

Hansen should be the odd man out.

Archived