The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Inquiry Time for Brent Burns?

With 1 and half seasons left on his contract before he becomes a UFA, Brent Burns would be a huge acquisition for any team. Given the rumour of poor management player relations at the end of last season, (J.Thorton-D.Wilson).. Is San Jose really the place to play?

Burns is definitely worth more than the 5.7m per he is getting. ... And that beard would look right at home in the Classic Stick Jersey of the Canucks.

with some good prospects at hand,. Perhaps a future pick or 2 + a player might gather his rights next season?

With 1 and half seasons left on his contract before he becomes a UFA, Brent Burns would be a huge acquisition for any team. Given the rumour of poor management player relations at the end of last season, (J.Thorton-D.Wilson).. Is San Jose really the place to play?

Burns is definitely worth more than the 5.7m per he is getting. ... And that beard would look right at home in the Classic Stick Jersey of the Canucks.

with some good prospects at hand,. Perhaps a future pick or 2 + a player might gather his rights next season?

he gets to live in San Jose.  Me thinks he's staying put.  We would be wasting assets.

he gets to live in San Jose.  Me thinks he's staying put.  We would be wasting assets.  

Hmmm,  California is not what it used to be,. Fires, low water levels,.. And really bad ice ;)

maybe assets come from 2016-2017 drafts with some regular personnel? 

He's pretty much the kind of D-man teams covet-- big (6'5", 230 lb) yet mobile, still youngish (only 30), right-handed (in 2014 only 38% of D-men were right-handed in the league, and they were highly regarded) with the ability to put up points (former forward, with 10 points in 13 GP) and munch minutes in all situations (he plays 25 minutes+ each game).

No way he comes cheap, even in FA.  

San Jose finally upgraded their goaltending, and spent a lot of money in free agency for older guys like Martin and Ward. They obviously want to be competitive right now. There is no way they're going to consider trading their best player at their weakest position, let alone to a divisional rival.

Burns WAS once available, when there were questions over his ability. (Even then, he didn't come cheap.) Same with guys like Seguin, Turris, Ladd, Neidereiter, Buffygluin, etc. That is when you have to strike. And that is what JB has been trying to do, most recently with Baertschi. Doesn't always work though.

we have 17 mill off books next yr 

And we're gonna run a team with what...14-15 players? I have a great idea...let's go with 2 aging first liners and a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners. If we're gonna chase a 5+mil player or 2 let's go for a couple of 1st liners to replace the Sedins in 2 yrs...just a thought. I don't think Burns is the answer...think more like Johansen, Turris or RNH at centre plus a winger like Eriksson or Lucic. 4 of the guys I just mentioned are hometowners...there's nothing like playing for the team you grew up idolizing huh? Makes the paycheque mean just a little bit more. :P

Archived