The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler scores on Calgary AFTER final buzzer - hilarity ensues

babych

What Kesler did doesn't really bother me that much. It might be a bit of a slap to the face but who cares? The Ducks are massively underachieving and having a miserable season. At least they are showing some emotion. I like the response from the Flames too, for that matter. Nice to see a little excitement in a game once and a while since we haven't seen much of it from our own team lately.

Just now, Green Building said:

It's a little cheeky yeah, but as long as players aren't firing on the goalie after the whistle it doesn't really grind my gears in most situations.

Yeah, its one of those things where the act itself is kind of like 'so what', but at the same time, because of the history/culture of the game, a certain response is expected. You don't want to be on the news the next morning where everyone is talking about how you didn't respond to a disrespectful act against your team. If Calgary doesn't get fired up after that shot, they'd be called soft.

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Yeah, its one of those things where the act itself is kind of like 'so what', but at the same time, because of the history/culture of the game, a certain response is expected. You don't want to be on the news the next morning where everyone is talking about how you didn't respond to a disrespectful act against your team. If Calgary doesn't get fired up after that shot, they'd be called soft.

Completely agree with you on all points. Kes didn't prove anything by doing that, and if say Getz broke his hand in that post whistle fight his play would have been even more pointless. He just did it to goad the Flames, and maybe out of frustration.

Maybe I'll tune into the next game to see if any of the excitement carries forward. 

13 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Shooting the puck in an empty net after the whistle has long been against 'the code'. 

Not a lot different (so long as the goalie isn't there) than shooting the puck in the opponents net after a warm up (which Bartkowski does), or standing on the center logo or anything else. Not really respectful, but hardly worth getting that worked up about either. The bump after is fine by me too, but I think what Wideman does (feeding Kesler punches while Brodie, another Flame and the linesman have Kesler tied up) is far worse.

It's a sign of disrespect and a sign of pride for your team to stand up to someone in a situation like that.  Pucks don't belong in your net, so when someone takes advantage of that after the whistle, he's going to get something done to him.  It's also similar to when a team is getting blown out and a player starts to show boat. No need to jam that dagger in further after a loss.  Kesler is an idiot and if it was the other way around he would have done the same thing. 

You also don't step on your logo in the team dressing room, you never let your jersey touch the ground.

52 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

He put the puck in an empty net after the whistle?! What a sick, classless bastard!

Am I the only one who doesn't see much wrong in this? Or are you still too bitter about the way he left Vancouver?

You haven't played much hockey have you? Any one, in any league, will get their ass handed to them if they do that. 

Archived