The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Yannick Weber

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Is anyone concerned that potential UFA's will look at the treatment of Weber, Higgins and Prust and have second thoughts about signing with Vancouver

Nope. Players understand that this is a business. It happens all over the league, not just in Vancouver.

Besides, I'd rather pass on UFA's for the time being...

9 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Is anyone concerned that potential UFA's will look at the treatment of Weber, Higgins and Prust and have second thoughts about signing with Vancouver

No. Players aren't that sensitive. And hopefully players looking to sign a contract and coast realize that Benning isn't interested in lazy asses. 

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Nope. Players understand that this is a business. It happens all over the league, not just in Vancouver.

Besides, I'd rather pass on UFA's for the time being...

Exactly.  

Also, players and their nice salaries have to deal with the cap just like the team does.  It's just business.  

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

No. Players aren't that sensitive. And hopefully players looking to sign a contract and coast realize that Benning isn't interested in lazy asses. 

Exactly this. 

They may see that Benning means business no more playing around. Good move going forward. I would think a team with injuries may have a look at him. 

13 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

any player that feels like having to earn his spot is a bad thing is a player i don't want on my team. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Lazy SOFT asses.

I sure hope Jake's ass isn't soft.  I wonder if JB asks Jake's new honey bunny for the inside scoop? ^_^

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I'd considered that, then I thought about what effect players like these getting waived will have on those in the same boat and stage of their careers

Either root hog or die.  If you cannot or will not produce, than you get to ride the bus in the minors.

9 minutes ago, billabong said:

Buh bye weber, no one probably wants to trade for him right now because they're hoping for something better to come along.

Just keep making room Benning! Vrbata and hamhuis are next! 

Would you not be willing to keep Hammer? Say he takes a home town discount. 2 yrs @ 2.5m. I mean hopefully bartkowski doesn't come back, then we could likely use some Dmen, no? Perhaps Pedan next year but we will need more than 7.

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Players who look down on us for waiving our players who don't play to what they are capable of or to what they are worth are exactly the kind of players we don't want here, so good riddance to them. You aren't gonna do what you're here or what we pay you for, you can kindly leave.  I like Benning more and more now. 

Plus, yeah, this is strategy. You know how players get waived the day before deadline to try and make contract room? Well they are being snuck thru waivers now, so that when teams need organizational depth, we can actually get picks for that depth because the players down there are more valuable now.

6 minutes ago, canucks411 said:

Would you not be willing to keep Hammer? Say he takes a home town discount. 2 yrs @ 2.5m. I mean hopefully bartkowski doesn't come back, then we could likely use some Dmen, no? Perhaps Pedan next year but we will need more than 7.

Hometown discounts generally don't equal 50% of market value! Hamhuis is going to get AT LEAST the 2 x 4mil that Bieksa got, and probably more like 4 x 4.5.

As much as I love Hammer (even have his jersey), with Edler, Hutton, Sbisa, Pedan, Tryamkin and Brisebois all lefies, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to retain him at this point.

Archived