The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The goalie situation.

smokes

27 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Miller is gone after this season. if this season is a wash. maybe Miller is dealt in a couple of weeks to a contending team that needs veteran leadership and goaltending. but my bet is that he's gone next season and allows markstrom to be the starting goalie. Demko should be signed at that time. and should be playing in the AHL for further development. 

aside from Demko and Markstrom. we don't have anything else on the goalie front. Benning has a lot of work on his plate. 

We have Cannata and that other guy in the A.

On February 5, 2016 at 1:57 PM, snipes2539 said:

Are you kidding me with this?  Both are still under contract for one more season after this, Miller likely to be traded while Markstrom resigned and both goalies you mentioned (Bachman & Caanata) more than capable of backing up during the current transition while Demko continues to develop, and likely makes a slow transition to the NHL over the next 2 seasons and you're taking this as a negative?  The goalie position is honestly the last thing on the Canucks to be uncomfortable with, try looking at our d-line or a top tier forward core (after the Sedins are gone) before you worry about our goal tending situation.  Can't even put more than one puck in the net against the worst team in the league playing their back-up (and yes i'm counting the 0-3 in the shootout)

You have a very strange definition of "all eggs in one basket" but the Canucks' current goal tending situation is definitely not that. 

Dude. Seriously. smokes is trying to desperately start a goalie controversy and press the red panic button and what do you do? Make sense.

How dare you. He needs to feel like he belongs too you know.

All kidding aside, if there is one area the Canucks don't need to concern themselves, it's goaltending.

Markstrom is 5-0-1 in his last 6. Miller lost  5 straight and 6 in 7. To anyone with common sense, it is easy to decide who is the number one. Even if this result is pure luck, the only chance for Vancouver now is to ride the hot streak of a hot goalie, which could be Markstrom or Miller. Keep the winning goalie until he loses a game, only change goalies when the team loses.

4 minutes ago, afan said:

Markstrom is 5-0-1 in his last 6. Miller lost  5 straight and 6 in 7. To anyone with common sense, it is easy to decide who is the number one. Even if this result is pure luck, the only chance for Vancouver now is to ride the hot streak of a hot goalie, which could be Markstrom or Miller. Keep the winning goalie until he loses a game, only change goalies when the team loses.

Its not Miller's fault we lost all those games though. Anyone that has common sense realizes that.

Look at his gaa and save percentage in those 7 games and it is really good. Canucks couldn't score in those 7 games.

Marky has played good and should play more regardless but Miller has played good since coming back.

8 minutes ago, afan said:

And why would they do that when Matthews, Tkachuck and Chychrun are all within reach?

Miller and Markstrom as a 7.5 million dollar tandem maybe isn't ideal but it is fine. At least it is solid. Miller is off the books before Markstrom gets his raise. Imagine if we had Miller under contract for four more years with Markstrom a free agent? Our situation is alright.

Dallas is in a bad spot, same with Detroit, Phoenix, and CBJ.

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

Miller and Markstrom as a 7.5 million dollar tandem maybe isn't ideal but it is fine. At least it is solid. Miller is off the books before Markstrom gets his raise. Imagine if we had Miller under contract for four more years with Markstrom a free agent? Our situation is alright.

At one point we did have a pretty expensive tandem in Luo/Schneider.

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Benning had made a mistake when he signed Miller to a 3 year term.  This wasn't aligned with Lack's term who was due a nice raise while Miller's $6M was on the books.  Speculation was that they may have had 9-10M  tied up in goal this year and next.  This may have been one factor in deciding to trade Lack.

He got it right with Markstrom's contract which is due for renewal at the same time as Miller's expires.  When Markstrom is due to get a raise, Miller's contract will be off the books.

There are absolutely no worries about goaltending.  If we trade Miler which might happen off season and Markstrom becomes our number 1, we will likely get a back up in the deal or sign one off season that will be good enough.  Demko will be ready in a few years likely and Markstrom is ready to carry the load till than in my opinion.  Once Demko comes in we will have a great young goalie duo and set for goaltending for years to come.  Our concerns are on the back end, we need a stud D more than anything else. 

10 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

After this year?  How so?

isn't Miller signed to three year deal? he's already been here two years. next year should be his final year in his contact. he's trade bait at next years trade deadline. 

On 2/5/2016 at 2:49 AM, smokes said:

Miller and Markstrom have been doing well enough but when I look at the future, I'm a little worried about what's coming down the pipe. As a Canucks fan since Coutier, I have gotten used to dependable goaltending and knowing good goalies are coming down the pipes. Schneider and Lack coming from the farm for example. But with the likes of Richard Bachman who does not look like prospect and Joe Caanata who is basically the back up in Utica, Demko is the real bright spot coming in.  He is the only one, which basically means all the eggs are going to be in one basket. 

Are you comfortable with the goalie sitation going forward?

There is no goalie situation, just idiotic Canucks fans and Vancouver media always like to makeup something out of nothing. There seems to be always a situation when it comes to Vancouver and its goalies, whether its too much depth or no depth or something else. I always wondered what it is with Vancouver and goalies and why all of them get treated like crap after a short period of honeymoon. 

The Canucks right now have the strength in their goalie position so no one is concerned about it. 

On 2/5/2016 at 4:34 AM, smokes said:

All I'm saying is this:

Forwards:

Sven, McCann, Virtanen, Horvat, Etem, Vey, Gaunce, Shinkauruk, Kennins

Defence:

Hutton, Pedan, Tryamkin, Subban

Goalies:

Demko and Caanata?

What about Markstrom and a possible UFA backup? This thread is a farce, there is no situation and every team in the league rather want to be in this so called "situation"

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

isn't Miller signed to three year deal? he's already been here two years. next year should be his final year in his contact. he's trade bait at next years trade deadline. 

Yes, but when you said he was for sure gone after this year I took it to mean that.  It's true, he could be traded even this year I suppose, or in the offseason but I wouldn't be surprised if he was here till the end of his deal either.

20 hours ago, snipes2539 said:

The Canucks not being able to score has nothing to do with the goalies.  Besides the main point of your post was the Canucks putting all their eggs in a single basket, no they're not.  They have options, and you're completely ignoring the fact of drafts and trades that will happen while we're still developing the goalies that are already in our system.

Goal-tending is not and has not been the Canucks problem since Cloutier was here.  And to those who point to 2011, it doesn't matter if Luongo lets in 1 or 11, it's still a loss when the team scores 0.

The mentality you have is exactly the reason why Vancouver has the rep of a goalie graveyard.  And yes i'm late to reply, but I had much better things to do over the long weekend :P

The fact that the Canucks can't score effects the goalie in a huge way. Canucks don't score therefore goalies are pressured to not let anything in. Think of the Luongo days. How many one goal games they won rather than the one goal games they lose now. Miller is showing his age and other than only having one good month this season, he has no longer an elite number one goalie. If Miller is the starter next year at his age and his decline in play the Canucks are in serious trouble. Markstrom looks better than Miller right now and I think have earned the right to get more games. Now if lets say Markstrom plays better than Miller then what a 6 million dollar backup goaltender for a year before Demko comes in? Will Miller's play and his cap space, finding a suiter will be difficult. 

As of this year. According to TSN

Markstrom is 17th in GAA with 2.30 while Miller is 31st with 2.64

Markstrom is 9th in SV% with 9.25 while Miller is 29th with 9.14

A 6 million dollar goaltender for one more year, how is this not a problem. What team would take him at his salary with those stats?

If the Canucks lose, goaltending is not the problem. The goaltending is excellent some nights, good enough to win other nights. Miller isn't as sharp as the US Team Olympian Miller, but he's good enough that the team can't use that as an excuse if they lose. Markstrom is quite good almost all the time, good reaction time in with chaotic situations, and getting sharper with experience. 

More goals, more defense are bigger needs.

15 minutes ago, smokes said:

The fact that the Canucks can't score effects the goalie in a huge was. Canucks don't score therefore goalies are pressured to not let anything in. Think of the Luongo days. How many one goal games they won rather than the one goal games they lose now. Miller is showing his age and other than only having one good month this season, he has no longer an elite number one goalie. If Miller is the starter next year at his age and his decline in play the Canucks are in serious trouble. Markstrom looks better than Miller right now and I think have earned the right to get more games. Now if lets say Markstrom plays better than Miller then what a 6 million dollar backup goaltender for a year before Demko comes in? Will Miller's play and his cap space, finding a suiter will be difficult. 

As of this year. According to TSN

Markstrom is 17th in GAA with 2.30 while Miller is 31st with 2.64

Markstrom is 9th in SV% with 9.25 while Miller is 29th with 9.14

A 6 million dollar goaltender for one more year, how is this not a problem. Wht team would take him at his salary with those stats?

Right and Today- teams want a 96% or higher ...  if we are going to stay reliable - Marks #1/ Demko back up -  THE CRAP: Miller = 92%  Conanta- 79%  - you people call that nothing to worry about?? Sure. talk to me when u have a real brain.

Note: the AHL leagues % isnt the same exposed in NHL

Archived