The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

Talk about a minor league rivalry. The Comets have beaten the Adirondack Flames 9 out of 10 times this year, with the 1 and only loss coming just a few days ago against a depleted Comets roster. Could this have had anything to do with Baers willingness to join the Canucks?

I don't think Sven had a say in his destination.

Just looking at some old threads on other boards and seeing what people were offering for Baertschi. Less than a year ago and Preds fans were offering one of Ellis or Wilson plus a pick. Islanders fans offering Pedan plus Collberg (and possibly more). And Flames fans pretty much scoffing at these offers (with some believing that they could get E. Kane for Baertschi plus a pick).

Today, many Calgary fans were expecting a first rounder or multiple picks (the deal was locally reported initially as a 2nd plus a 3rd--with most Flames fans feeling that was too low a return).

Now I don't put tons of stock in fan valuations, but when you have fan bases from around the league, and coming from either side of the fence, pretty much univerally believing Baertschi's value was higher than what we paid, then I think it's a fair bet that we got a good deal here.

And I'm not worried about the reason why the Flames sold low. It mostly seems to be do to the player himself stating that he wouldn't re-sign in Calgary, and the Flames being in a weak position and trying to make the best of things and get the value they could.

I'm excited to be adding a player or this ilk to our pool and timeline. All of a sudden, that 2011 draft class is looking pretty good (Jensen, Baertschi, Clendenning, Grenier, Corrado, Blomstrand, etc). ;)

I jest a little but in all seriousness, I like that Benning has strengthened the 2011 crop and given us a solid group of young players who should start coming on line very soon, and neatly pave the way for the next wave of players, just as our core starts to ride off into the sunset of their hockey careers.

• Upvote 4

I was over on the flames site and went through the media.

Basically, people are pissed that we got him. Anywhere but us. The other comments from people that seem to know their team and game is that Sven seemed to be on a shorter leash than other players his age and style. As well many people think the deeper issue is why did the development system not work out with him. Obviously something went wrong. Burke didn't help either by calling him out.

In his radio interview tonight you get the impression that he felts that even at the AHL level they were not really focusing on his development. He says that at Utica he's opening to get big minutes and chances to play in big situations - and why wouldn't a first rounder with his skill set expect that?

My feeling is that he has all the tools for NHL top 6 (he's a for sure NHLer) and that he is going to be a good player for us that is going to make the flames cringe over and over for a long time to come.

• Upvote 1

Baertschi's a top-6 forward or bust, and I like the gamble on him. I reckon he's got a 50:50 chance of panning out, in which case here's our lineup in 3-5 years time:

Baertschi - ? - Virtanen

Jensen - Horvat - Kassian

Sedin - Sedin - Matthias

Kenins - Gaunce - Hansen

Who knows, maybe we can package Vey + other pieces for that all-elusive top center.

Seems to me Baertschi was unfortunately the first big early'ish prospect drafted by the flames after their blowup. He was over hyped and rushed resulting in too much pressure for a guy that wasn't ready. Hopefully he can regain his.confidence with a change of scenery. Obviously he's skilled but not having the mental game to go along with the skills game can be the end to any young talented guy

Considering the price boston paid for Connolly, I don't mind the trade value wise. But as some have mentioned before, it is very much like the Linden Vey deal and another player like Vey. We are getting more skilled, which is great, but he is on the smaller side and has shown very lacklustre numbers for a top 15 pick.

His point production in the AHL has regressed ever since his rookie season.

2012-13: 0.82 PPG

2013-14: 0.71 PPG

2014-15: 0.69 PPG

He's been known as an emotional player, and apparently he wasnt as happy in Calgary anymore. I think that could have something to do with the point production. He could really breakout with a fresh start here in Utica/Vancouver. With the Benning comments on him, I think this kid will be special for us.

Baertschi's a top-6 forward or bust, and I like the gamble on him. I reckon he's got a 50:50 chance of panning out, in which case here's our lineup in 3-5 years time:

Baertschi - ? - Virtanen

Jensen - Horvat - Kassian

Sedin - Sedin - Matthias

Kenins - Gaunce - Hansen

Who knows, maybe we can package Vey + other pieces for that all-elusive top center.

Forget about McCann?

• Upvote 3

I gotta give it to benning just on the entertainment factor of this trade alone. One day he's claiming quiet deadline, can't sell or buy, preps us for a canuck snooze fest today. Then bam last minute trades a second for a somewhat struggling top prospect of a rival.

Can't wait to see what he's got.

Svensational Barcheezy.

i'm gonna go with cheesy

Utica gets two huge pickups to help them out this post-season.

once he gels with the guys on the comets, it would be an interesting story with how that team does with so many young guys the canucks are quietly stockpiling