The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | #26 | RW

-SN-

When he got traded here some people said he was going to be a perennial 20-25 goal scorer. I liked a little bit of what i saw at the very end of last year but never saw anything close to 20-25 goals in his game in the NHL. Some folks around here seriously overrate a lot of players and prospects, other teams fan bases do the same thing as well.

2 hours ago, ice orca said:

When he got traded here some people said he was going to be a perennial 20-25 goal scorer. I liked a little bit of what i saw at the very end of last year but never saw anything close to 20-25 goals in his game in the NHL. Some folks around here seriously overrate a lot of players and prospects, other teams fan bases do the same thing as well.

Totally agree. Etem has not shown enough to be penciled into long term plans. He has a lot to prove this season.

17 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I felt the same way.  I'd really like to see Etem carry on as he was towards the end of the season.  If he's figuring it out, that's great.

I never looked him up before.  In 11/12 he went 61-46-107 in Medicine Hat of all places.  That's even better than Linden Vey!

Etem can be our answer to Tkachuk

Right!

I keep repeating this ad nauseum, so forgive me if I sound like a broken record here...looking at his junior numbers and his AHL numbers, I think we've got something here once he finds some consistency in his game and on a team.

All the things that keep a successful AHL player from becoming a successful NHL player aren't things that Etem has trouble with. He's not soft, slow, small, etc...

I think he just needs some time and a consistent team (and/or linemates) and he's gong to become a very good offensive player.

On 8/26/2016 at 8:21 PM, Crabcakes said:

Etem can be our answer to Tkachuk

I think having Etem allowed us to get Juolevi. Tough to pass on Tkachuk, but we had several players like him, and Etem could be the one who plays with Bo on a night to night basis. 

13 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

I think having Etem allowed us to get Juolevi. Tough to pass on Tkachuk, but we had several players like him, and Etem could be the one who plays with Bo on a night to night basis. 

I don't believe they are related. I suppose it is just my opinion. But I believe it was a simple laundry list of scouting attributes the players displayed.

Both showed a high level of ability to process play, make decisions, within the scope of their positions. Including playing with great players and being effective. Both with London. Tkachuk with the US juniors on Mathews line. Juolevi on the Finnish junior tream team. Its the physical attributes that sets Juolevi apart.

Tkachuk has NHL speed and size.  But neither at any exciting level relative to being the power forward style play he employed in junior. To me, a scout would see good skills attached to average skating as a limiting factor. And may question whether he can force the play physically as he did in junior. 

I believe he will be good enough to be a decent NHL player. And probably a safe bet to do so. A top level one?

Juolevi has superlative speed and reach, balance in skating for his position. And some of his hockey skills are both sublime. And rare. To have the close out speed to track down pucks, reach to grab it. Then the dexterity to turn or explode away quickly.  While having the ability / vision only few have to look up and make instinctive plays. Similarly the quickness and reach to close off angles and break up plays.

There is potential to be a great defenseman, not just a good one. 

On 8/27/2016 at 6:21 AM, ice orca said:

I find your comments fairly ironic - as if you have enough to go on to qualify that he's been "over-rated."   A small sample is a small sample - what you'd be doing would be an equal and opposite prejudgement wouldn't it, prematurely 'under-rating' him if you think he's not capable of those goals?

What we actually saw was a 15 goal / 82 game half season out of Etem in the second half last year here.  So I see the comments that he isn't 'anything close' to 20 kind of curious.

That was playing with Linden Vey and Burrows.

I'm not sure what you'd consider "over-rating" a "prospect" - but his objective outccomes are pretty clear.  A 20 goal season from Etem is not really that much of a stretch - he came to a new team, new systems, with a depleted group and performed pretty damn well.  He also played fairly hard minutes for a young player in NY - his production should be kept in the context of his minutes - he ended the season with 42% offensive zone starts - when he arrived in Vancouver his ozone starts had been in the high 30% range. 

15 goal / 25 pt pace in those situations - people have reason to be optimistic about his potential imo.  Before he was a Canuck he was considered virtually untouchable as a Duck prospect.

As far as I'm concerned his numbers - if he matches that 15 goal pace of last year - is very damn good for a young, third line role.

In addition, this is a guy that scored 37 goals in his last 72 AHL games and 106 in his last 130 WHL games.  He's capable of producing.  And he has the makings of a solid NHL game - good without the puck, with the speed and physicality to cut it in today's game and the clear upside to draw upon.

I'm not concerned about this team not adding another forward - I think on a certain level Benning was using his comments to motivate his young players to push - and imo, between Baertschi and Etem I'll be surprised if one of them is not a 20 goal scorer this year - and will be surprised if they don't combine for the 35 goal range.  Imo that's pretty good secondary production from your young emerging players - and the 'ifs' around that production imo are no greater than if they'd signed one of the market leftovers.

Really looking forward to Baertschi, Etem, Gaunce, Granlund - and possibly Virtanen - I think that's a pretty damn good group of young forwards to bring into tweener and depth roles.  The fact that we're overlooking a group like this imo shows that we've lost some perspective relative to two or three seasons ago when that would look like a relative winfall of youth.  Perhaps we're a bit blinded by the wealth of having guys like Horvat and Boeser - and are stuck in grass is greener mode.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

I find your comments fairly ironic - as if you have enough to go on to qualify that he's been "over-rated."   A small sample is a small sample - what you'd be doing would be an equal and opposite prejudgement wouldn't it, prematurely 'under-rating' him if you think he's not capable of those goals?

What we actually saw was a 15 goal / 82 game half season out of Etem in the second half last year here.  So I see the comments that he isn't 'anything close' to 20 kind of curious.

That was playing with Linden Vey and Burrows.

I'm not sure what you'd consider "over-rating" a "prospect" - but his objective outccomes are pretty clear.  A 20 goal season from Etem is not really that much of a stretch - he came to a new team, new systems, with a depleted group and performed pretty damn well.  He also played fairly hard minutes for a young player in NY - his production should be kept in the context of his minutes - he ended the season with 42% offensive zone starts - when he arrived in Vancouver his ozone starts had been in the high 30% range. 

15 goal / 25 pt pace in those situations - people have reason to be optimistic about his potential imo.  Before he was a Canuck he was considered virtually untouchable as a Duck prospect.

As far as I'm concerned his numbers - if he matches that 15 goal pace of last year - is very damn good for a young, third line role.

In addition, this is a guy that scored 37 goals in his last 72 AHL games and 106 in his last 130 WHL games.  He's capable of producing.  And he has the makings of a solid NHL game - good without the puck, with the speed and physicality to cut it in today's game and the clear upside to draw upon.

I'm not concerned about this team not adding another forward - I think on a certain level Benning was using his comments to motivate his young players to push - and imo, between Baertschi and Etem I'll be surprised if one of them is not a 20 goal scorer this year - and will be surprised if they don't combine for the 35 goal range.  Imo that's pretty good secondary production from your young emerging players - and the 'ifs' around that production imo are no greater than if they'd signed one of the market leftovers.

Really looking forward to Baertschi, Etem, Gaunce, Granlund - and possibly Virtanen - I think that's a pretty damn good group of young forwards to bring into tweener and depth roles.  The fact that we're overlooking a group like this imo shows that we've lost some perspective relative to two or three seasons ago when that would look like a relative winfall of youth.  Perhaps we're a bit blinded by the wealth of having guys like Horvat and Boeser - and are stuck in grass is greener mode.

Not sure what you are meaning by ironic, i have watched him with Anaheim and the Rags and he never lived up to the Hype surrounding him as this great goal scorer. The over rating thing doesn't come by me, it comes by most people on here who always hype the new toy, or hate analytics but have volumes of the stuff when they respond to a post.

4 hours ago, ice orca said:

Not sure what you are meaning by ironic, i have watched him with Anaheim and the Rags and he never lived up to the Hype surrounding him as this great goal scorer. The over rating thing doesn't come by me, it comes by most people on here who always hype the new toy, or hate analytics but have volumes of the stuff when they respond to a post.

I don't think it was hype about his great scoring ability.  He clearly had very good hands when he played in Jrs and the AHL.  He has struggled with his transition to the NHL and 2 teams have given up on him. 

Who knows if he can get his game together?  Maybe he is late bloomer or maybe his offensive game just doesn't transfer to the NHL top 6 role.

Regardless, Etem does have good defensive skills and is quick footed.  He will likely be a solid NHLer, even if it is as a bottom 6 player.

6 hours ago, ice orca said:

Ironic part is claiming you've never seen evidence of anything close to a 20 goal Nhl player, yet he just scored at a 15 goal pace his half season here, playing defensive zone weighted starts - bottom six minutes with a center (Vey) that wasn't qualified.   Maybe give him another small sample before you declare him 'over-rated', particularly when 15 isn't really that far off the 20 you consider worthy.

What I'd really like to see from Etem is an ability to drive the play much like Hansen i.e. win puck battles, first to pucks, cause turn overs etc. while being a physical presence.  If he can be consistent at that I'm not totally worried about point production, but I think 15 goals for him is very realistic too.

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Ironic part is claiming you've never seen evidence of anything close to a 20 goal Nhl player, yet he just scored at a 15 goal pace his half season here, playing defensive zone weighted starts - bottom six minutes with a center (Vey) that wasn't qualified.   Maybe give him another small sample before you declare him 'over-rated', particularly when 15 isn't really that far off the 20 you consider worthy.

I think you may have selectively chosen the best stat to support your position.  Yes, based on his Canuck stats only for 39 games, it equates to 15 goals a year, but the fact is he has never scored more than 7 goals in any of his four season in the NHL, although he has only played in about a half season in most of those years.  

If you take a look at all the stats, they mostly point to about 10/11 goals per year, based on games/goals in a 82 game season.  Total NHL - 11; Last 2 years  - 10;  Last season - 10.

Based only on his half season with the Canucks, he received a lot of ice time, 4th highest of all forwards in even strength time per GP.  He has been given a lot opportunities to prove what he could do.

He is 24 years old, played for 3 teams and at this point in his career has not lived up to his potential.  This year is a big year for him to prove he can produce offensively at the NHL level, because for whatever reasons, he has not been able to match his production from junior or the AHL, and some players never do.  I think if he can't he would be a good 4th liner with speed and size that can contribute some offense.

I also think until he produces and earns playing higher in the lineup, he should be playing on the fourth line.  There is a reason two teams have already given up on him, despite his 'potential'.

34 minutes ago, Stormriders said:

There is a reason two teams have already given up on him, despite his 'potential'.

Whatever that is.   He brought a very good player back to Anaheim.  

Dealing Etem for Hagelin - not exactly "giving up on him."

This season has the makings of a wake up call for his career. With a better defense, players like Etem might just get a few more shots on net to tip him upwards for the season.

Can't say that for our other borderline players. ie compete level is good for Etem.

30 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Whatever that is.   He brought a very good player back to Anaheim.  

Dealing Etem for Hagelin - not exactly "giving up on him."

Not surprising that you focus in on a minor point I made vs. your selective use of stats to support your position, the main point of my post.  But for the record, yes Hagelin is a decent player, but the Ducks still gave up on Etem to get Hagelin, and then proceeded to trade him mid-season after the trade, [so how much value did they think they really got for Etem?]

• 3 weeks later...
On August 29, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Stormriders said:

Not surprising that you focus in on a minor point I made vs. your selective use of stats to support your position, the main point of my post.  But for the record, yes Hagelin is a decent player, but the Ducks still gave up on Etem to get Hagelin, and then proceeded to trade him mid-season after the trade, [so how much value did they think they really got for Etem?]

It's all about fit. Neither of them panned out on the teams they were traded to so they were traded again. Haglin was picked up by the future SCC and Etem to a team with a youth movement brewing. At the end of the day both players may have landed on teams that need them. Well just have to wait n see if JB pulled a fast one or not..

image.jpeg

8 hours ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

It's all about fit. Neither of them panned out on the teams they were traded to so they were traded again. Haglin was picked up by the future SCC and Etem to a team with a youth movement brewing. At the end of the day both players may have landed on teams that need them. Well just have to wait n see if JB pulled a fast one or not..

image.jpeg

We will likely know what Etem has to offer by X-Mass. Willing to be surprised but not expecting a lot.

Etem is probably the blandest player on the team. He is sort of around average at everything (corsi numbers are blah, 5th amongst forwards in hits which is ok but nothing special, his point totals in Van were mediocre but not awful for a bottom six player). That said, I still like him in the lineup for a number of reasons:

1. He is the cheapest player on the team. We will pay him less than both Luongo and Higgins next year. 
2. Still young and has upside. While he kind of plugs a hole in the roster, he could still take a step forward and become a 20 / 20 kinda guy. 
3. Skates well and decent size. 
4. Had the highest percentage of defensive zone starts out of any forward on the team. It wasn't like he was being spoonfed prime minutes. 

5. He shoots the puck. His shots per minute where 2nd behind Daniel and he seems to generate his own chances at a pretty good clip (and will hopefully start to finish more on those). 

At worst he is a cheap roster player who fills a spot without really any weakness. At best, he works his way up to the 2nd line RW spot and become a great value over production player. Pretty versatile as he can slot anywhere in the lineup, including the bench, and not really cause any issues. At least he skates well, cheap, young, and sort of physical. 

Like a lot of you have said, Etem has the right tools, but hasn't been able to pull it together at the NHL level. Watching him play in Medicine Hat, he was better than a lot of other high scorers here (Ennis, Shinkaruk, Vey) in the fact that he had size, speed and hits like a train. He doesn't hit often, but when he does, wow, explosive.

When JB got him last year i was pumped. Etem can potentially be a very solid middle 6 forward that has high skill but is still learning what he can do to set himself apart at the NHL level. Really hope the Canucks don't give up on him. I can see a guy like Malhotra being a great role model, Manny was drafted high, had huge expectations and evolved into one of the premier support players in the league.

I hope Emerson can find a way to transition into a strong support player. 

Archived