The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

I haven't heard much about Biega so far this year. They made another round of cuts today, it seems like they know what they have in Alex, a real pro.  I think he should stick with the team as the Extra D, he's really earned that spot over these last couple of seasons with his determined and courageous play. I don't see any of the Utica players taking his spot on the NHL roster right now. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ms.Glitter said:

I haven't heard much about Biega so far this year. They made another round of cuts today, it seems like they know what they have in Alex, a real pro.  I think he should stick with the team as the Extra D, he's really earned that spot over these last couple of seasons with his determined and courageous play. I don't see any of the Utica players taking his spot on the NHL roster right now. 

I think there are a few that could challenge him, but while other young players have been improving their game, so has Biega. I'm a believer that he'll even beat out Fantenberg for the #7 spot, as he was particularly useful last year on offense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think there are a few that could challenge him, but while other young players have been improving their game, so has Biega. I'm a believer that he'll even beat out Fantenberg for the #7 spot, as he was particularly useful last year on offense.

Biega is another versatile player.  He can also sit in the press box for long periods of time and unlike the young players, it doesn't hurt his game.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 11:57 AM, Ms.Glitter said:

Biega is an elite #8 D!!

woot

Last year alex definetly had some good games but also some bad ones with terrible passing plays. Hes on the verge of making it but im not sure. 

Myers-Edler

QH-Stecher

Benn-Tanev

whos to go? without a doubt there will be injuries and i wouldnt mind seeing biega there for sure. Question is who has made the best impression during camp and who deserves to be the reserves? Biega is one name that simply must be one of the strongest candidates in any case. 

On 9/22/2019 at 2:22 PM, Mrwipeout said:

Last year alex definetly had some good games but also some bad ones with terrible passing plays. Hes on the verge of making it but im not sure. 

Myers-Edler

QH-Stecher

Benn-Tanev

whos to go? without a doubt there will be injuries and i wouldnt mind seeing biega there for sure. Question is who has made the best impression during camp and who deserves to be the reserves? Biega is one name that simply must be one of the strongest candidates in any case. 

not sure well he will not make the team long term as he is smaller and older then some youth we have which in a year or two will be better then him

On 9/22/2019 at 2:31 PM, Alflives said:

Biega is a great extra guy.  He plays when needed, otherwise sits in the press box.  He’s a complete pro.  

he has to be as stated above

his age and size are against him

but his compete level and how he is a pro with what he has makes him a good filler

25 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I really hope that Alex Biega clears waivers and plays for Utica. What a great all round person to mentor our young defensive prospects. Maybe he goes on to coaching when he retires or becomes a player coach in the mean time.

Quality guy who strikes me as someone who could fill the role you suggested. The question is now becoming how much room is there in Utica. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Quality guy who strikes me as someone who could fill the role you suggested. The question is now becoming how much room is there in Utica. 

I am thinking that if he clears waivers he will be used in spot duty as he takes one of the veteran spots if he plays. Probably similar to how he was used in Vancouver.

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

I am thinking that if he clears waivers he will be used in spot duty as he takes one of the veteran spots if he plays. Probably similar to how he was used in Vancouver.

IMO Biega is the perfect extra D man. He can miss plenty of games and then fill in with energy and passion for a bit.  He's a real pro.  I kind of surprised he get waived.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

IMO Biega is the perfect extra D man. He can miss plenty of games and then fill in with energy and passion for a bit.  He's a real pro.  I kind of surprised he get waived.

I think they would have had to do something like that during the season anyway in order to bring either Juolevi or Brisbois up. There is no denying that he is the ultimate pro.

I genuinely feel that Biega will be the better choice over Fantenberg, but I suspect Fantenberg being new and a bit younger than Biega have him an edge. Fantenberg historically has almost no offense, in stark contrast to Biega.

48 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I genuinely feel that Biega will be the better choice over Fantenberg, but I suspect Fantenberg being new and a bit younger than Biega have him an edge. Fantenberg historically has almost no offense, in stark contrast to Biega.

From what I've read, sounds like Fantenberg can play both sides while Biega is more on the one side, so that makes Fantenberg a bit more versatile and allows one player to cover two depth positions. Biega may be the better puck mover, but we've got Hughes, Myers and Stecher to do that job. At least Biega is still in the system so we haven't lost him as depth.

• Cheers 3

20 hours ago, -AJ- said:

To be fair, offense isn't necessarily the defining characteristic you want out of your spare D.

20 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It is my gut feeling that Fantenberg will be waived at some point in the season to make way for either Juolevi or Brisbois. Probably would have been a bigger risk trying to waive Alex in mid season rather than now; at least that is my opinion

IMO, Fanta's good enough to play a regular #6 slot, which is a nice luxury to have in a spare D. Personally I think Biega gets recalled once Benning has a chance to clear out some forward depth for our more usual 13 F, 8 D setup.

I think Juolevi comes up later this year when we trade Tanev (or he's injured again) and him and Fanta can tandem that 3rd pair left side.

19 hours ago, theo5789 said:

From what I've read, sounds like Fantenberg can play both sides while Biega is more on the one side, so that makes Fantenberg a bit more versatile and allows one player to cover two depth positions. Biega may be the better puck mover, but we've got Hughes, Myers and Stecher to do that job. At least Biega is still in the system so we haven't lost him as depth.

Yup.

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, offense isn't necessarily the defining characteristic you want out of your spare D.

IMO, Fanta's good enough to play a regular #6 slot, which is a nice luxury to have in a spare D. Personally I think Biega gets recalled once Benning has a chance to clear out some forward depth for our more usual 13 F, 8 D setup.

I think Juolevi comes up later this year when we trade Tanev (or he's injured again) and him and Fanta can tandem that 3rd pair left side.

Yup.

Do we risk him on waivers again if we try to bring him up?

Biega bulldogged his way into 184th in all-time Canuck scoring during his time here, although he ranked much higher in our hearts (awwww).

Hope you get some games in Detroit Alex!

177.  Tracy Pratt D 176 9 30 39
184.  Alex Biega D 179 4 32 36
187.  John Grisdale D 199 3 32 35
  • Upvote 1