The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Is it just me or is cottage an Eastern term? I've always called a summer home overlooking a lake or ocean, a cabin.

It’s a term used by those who think they are a class above cabins and summer homes.

I call them “Posers”, kinda like this guy in the pic, the typical outdoor easterner. Has been around for about 100 years.. and they know everything.

2DB082FC-2DB0-4308-84DA-EA737FB9A6C1.thumb.jpeg.f2393e3a35153872139bae32a9593175.jpeg

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It’s a term used by those who think they are a class above cabins and summer homes.

I call them “Posers”, kinda like this guy in the pic, the typical outdoor easterner. Has been around for about 100 years.. and they know everything.

2DB082FC-2DB0-4308-84DA-EA737FB9A6C1.thumb.jpeg.f2393e3a35153872139bae32a9593175.jpeg

Lol says someone who likely lives in Vancouver... studies show that your body is comprised mostly of sushi and craft beer.  

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1.6.2018 at 11:23 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Vegas is showing that having physical dman who can skate and contribute regularly is extremely effective compared to the popular belief of having puck moving, high offensive octane dman.

Seriously, Deryk Engelland, Brayden McNabb, Luca Sbisa, Nate Schmidt.  

I really feel more secure having Guddy patrolling the backend.  But like was said above, Guddy needs some reinforcements.

I think adding Gudbranson was a huge misunderstanding. Canucks thought they would get another Ed Jovanovski. They really thought Gudbranson would play a similar style of hockey, meaning this physical game. Instead it turned out that Gudbranson is not that physical force Ed was. I heard him in an interview almost at the start of the 2016/2017 season, when he joined the Canucks. When asked about his game he mentioned that he strives to close passing lanes and to block shots. That's exactly what the Canucks got in the end. Once the first half of the season 2016/2017 was played some hockey analysts looked at the stats and found that Gudbranson has just an average number of hits. Given his size you would expect that he was at the top of this ranking. Canucks fans were more than happy when Tryamkin was on the ice. It was Tryamkin who played the physical game - not Gudbranson.

Even in the stretches Gudbranson was healthy he did not live up to expectations. I don't see him on the Canucks roster in the future, maybe next season but not beyond. It says a lot about Gudbranson that Jim's main reason for keeping Gudbranson is that Canucks play often against tall and physical teams like LA, Ducks, Sharks. Implicitly he is saying we need some size on the backend. Far not enough to be on the roster of a team aiming to become a playoff team again. 

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
clarity

20 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Is it just me or is cottage an Eastern term? I've always called a summer home overlooking a lake or ocean, a cabin.

Yes, very true.  They have 'cottage country' don't you know.

Also, Easterners call BC 'out west' and Ontario 'down east' where as we call BC 'home' and Ontario 'back east' with our thumb pointing eastward.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This is who they got and who will be there this year.   It was not a misunderstanding - it was a very good move.   Cats have not been the same without this key guy.

I don't think Nuck fans have seen enough of Guddy to appreciate what he can bring.  Hope he has a healthy and successful season this year and throws a lot of the opposition on their arses.  Also, he seems like a stalwart SC type of player, so if JB ever decides to trade him, he'd get a very good return.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This is who they got and who will be there this year.   It was not a misunderstanding - it was a very good move.   Cats have not been the same without this key guy.

I was going to say something, but you covered it off perfectly, Zepp. I just don't get the hand-wringing that some "fans" do when it comes to Gudbranson. I really don't. Sure his first two years haven't been perfect, but he's battled injuries and needed time to adjust.

I fully believe now that he's acclimated himself to the Canucks and Vancouver, along with signing a contract (actively choosing to stay here when he could have hit the UFA market for more money), that Guddy will be a force on the team, especially with the addition of the three free agents who will also bring a physical game.

All the turds in the media can harp on the move towards speed and skill, but the playoffs continued to prove that the team with the physical edge still makes a difference.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On July 6, 2018 at 11:18 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

I sure hope we get to see the Gudbranson that was healthy when he was in Florida...The very physical 6'4, 220 lbs nasty Grudbranson would really make a big difference...His bad luck with injuries have to end, 2 years now...

Excited to see the healthy Gudbranson in 2018-19 season....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I sure hope we get to see the Gudbranson that was healthy when he was in Florida...The very physical 6'4, 220 lbs nasty Grudbranson would really make a big difference...His bad luck with injuries have to end, 2 years now...

Excited to see the healthy Gudbranson in 2018-19 season....

We NEED that Gudbranson.  His recent contract dictates we get that kind of Gudbranson.  If we don't, I have zero issues with parting ways with him - preferably via trade where hopefully we get something decent back for him.  (Though if he isn't a strong contributor for us, that seems unlikely)

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wilson embarrassed himself missing on the hit, tried to save face by challenging Gudbranson to a fight.

"Don't make it any worse on yourself, kid."

Finally jumps him anyway. "Okay fine", Erik lays a fairly reserved spanking, then to the ref, "Yeah, he's had enough, go ahead."

Dude's so strong the way he manhandled him, and relatively easily, despite being about the same size.

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2018 at 10:10 PM, MattJVD said:

I'd probably tell him "haha, I'm not mashing my nucks on your 4th line face when we're up 5-1" too. I don't blame him for being reluctant.

We dummied the eventual cup champs in that game - remember the start of last season before Bo got hurt? We were good!

I'm not so dismissive of this season's team, I think we can compete.

• Upvote 2

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Wilson embarrassed himself missing on the hit, tried to save face by challenging Gudbranson to a fight.

"Don't make it any worse on yourself, kid."

Finally jumps him anyway. "Okay fine", Erik lays a fairly reserved spanking, then to the ref, "Yeah, he's had enough, go ahead."

Dude's so strong the way he manhandled him, and relatively easily, despite being about the same size.

Wilson, Kassian, Anderson, Lucic, Martin are all players that say 5 years ago would have had their way with the team without any retribution. Having a beast like Gudbranson on the roster makes this team much more imposing. Add Roussel, Beagle, and Schaller just adds to this. Good times ahead.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm hoping it creates more of a culture shift where guys step up more as well and not just wait for these guys to do something. 

I think so. I remember Virtanen being harassed by Clusterbuck last season and managing just fine on his own. Guddy came up to stand up for Jake, and Cluster quickly made a beeline for the bench. I truly hope that shift makes for a new style of hard-nosed, physical, fast, and dynamic hockey.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2