The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

6 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

Stay away from Petterson and target the likes out Vilardi, Middlestat, Glass, etc. if we drop in the draft. He's certainly talented but I'd rather move away from a culture of creampuffs and draft someone who can make an impact in the playoffs. We are shaping up to be the easiest team in the NHL to play against and I'd like to see this draft change that. Praying for Patrick and Gadjovich.

I hear you, Pettersson is not my 1st choice either.  This was from a canucks fan site called the Canucks Way, they are over valuing Pettersson and even say he may have a good chance at being a top 6 player.  I would say no chance but you never with Benning right.  As it stands I am hoping a team above addresses the need for defense dropping down both Vilardi and Middlestadt.  

i'm surprised that Tippet isn't being considered at No. 6, if the Canucks fall that far down (hopefully not). 

can we just get lucky once. if not this year, next year. I'd be happy with whoever Benning and Co. pick. 

• Upvote 1

If we don't end up with a top two pick, I really think that this should be the year that Benning goes all out to trade into the top two.

There are two reasons I suggest this:

1. Trading into the top two positions is far more possible this year without there being the same generational talents that there was in the last few draft classes. 

2. The other reason, the more important one, is that even though there doesn't project to be a McDavid, Matthews, or Laine in this draft, both Patrick and Hischier will likely be franchise cornerstones for any team that drafts them, and I don't know about you, but I could really go for a franchise player right about now. Having a one-two punch of Patrick/Hischier and Horvat down the middle would be solid, and maybe even lethal. 

Hopefully we get lucky for once and end up with one of the top two picks, but if not I am personally all for Benning trading to get it, even if requires as much as our first as well as our second from Columbus (assuming we get it) and say a B prospect (McKenzie, Birsebios, Subban, etc) and a late round pick. Quality over quantity. 

There definitely are a lot of players that I'd be pleased with if we do draft between 3rd - 7th position, but for once I'd like to be thrilled instead of pleased. 

This has been a long painful year being a Nucks fan, and I really haven't enjoyed hoping for my team to lose so that we can get the much needed help that our team requires. Normally I would be very pumped about getting a player like Vilardi, Middlestadt, Necas, etc. But after back to back record breaking low scoring, hard to watch seasons that we've endured we absolutely deserve Patrick or Hischier :) 

Edited by Canuck Drogo

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

i'm surprised that Tippet isn't being considered at No. 6, if the Canucks fall that far down (hopefully not). 

can we just get lucky once. if not this year, next year. I'd be happy with whoever Benning and Co. pick. 

Tippett is severely underrated here, because he isn't a center. If we're sitting at 5th and both Liljegren and Vilardi are gone. I honestly would prefer Tippett over Middlestat and Glass. He's probably the best goal scorer in this draft, who can score in many different ways. Whether it be with his shot, his body driving to the net, or just being in the right place at the right time. He has that goal scorer mentality.

Having him and Boeser on the right side, wouldn't be too shabby for our future. 

3 hours ago, Canuck Drogo said:

If we don't end up with a top two pick, I really think that this should be the year that Benning goes all out to trade into the top two.

1. Trading into the top two positions is far more possible this year without there being the same generational talents that there was in the last few draft classes. 

2. The other reason, the more important one, is that even though there doesn't project to be a McDavid, Matthews, or Laine in this draft, both Patrick and Hischier will likely be franchise cornerstones for any team that drafts them, and I don't know about you, but I could really go for a franchise player right about now. Having a one-two punch of Patrick/Hischier and Horvat down the middle would be solid, and maybe even lethal. 

Hopefully we get lucky for once and end up with one of the top two picks, but if not I am personally all for Benning trading to get it, even if requires as much as our first as well as our second from Columbus (assuming we get it) and say a B prospect (McKenzie, Birsebios, Subban, etc) and a late round pick. Quality over quantity. 

There definitely are a lot of players that I'd be pleased with if we do draft between 3rd - 7th position, but for once I'd like to be thrilled instead of pleased. 

This has been a long painful year being a Nucks fan, and I really haven't enjoyed hoping for my team to lose so that we can get the much needed help that our team requires. Normally I would be very pumped about getting a player like Vilardi, Middlestadt, Necas, etc. But after back to back record breaking low scoring, hard to watch seasons that we've endured we absolutely deserve Patrick or Hischier :) 

The issue is that for any team that's willing to move down for #6 and a dman like Colorado Arizona Buffalo Detroit Dallas Winnipeg....  I'm 100% positive the cost will include juolevi.  Perhaps Winnipeg or Dallas could be sold on Tanev, but the rebuilding teams will be asking for OJ.

ideally buffalo gets #2 and the deal becomes

for

hutton

But it if we could spin it into

Reinhart 

for

juolevi

virtanen

id be down for something like this

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

The issue is that for any team that's willing to move down for #6 and a dman like Colorado Arizona Buffalo Detroit Dallas Winnipeg....  I'm 100% positive the cost will include juolevi.  Perhaps Winnipeg or Dallas could be sold on Tanev, but the rebuilding teams will be asking for OJ.

ideally buffalo gets #2 and the deal becomes

for

hutton

But it if we could spin it into

Reinhart 

for

juolevi

virtanen

id be down for something like this

i think you're having a dream.  we are very good odds for 1 or 2.  scenarios of trading for picks and players you mention to buffalo for #2 are pure fantasy and never going to happen

5 hours ago, Canuck Drogo said:

It depends how the lottery goes 

if Colorado picks 2nd and we pick 3rd 

theres a chance that they take Llegren considering how they desperately need defence 

or other possibility it may just take a trade of Ben Hutton to move up one spot

Tough draft to predict im not even sure who's going 1st

What has Hischier been up to lately? 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Nope. Just said we didn't take bpa according to the consensus. Didn't say if we should of or shouldn't have. So relax. 

Well then who cares... you hire a GM to create their own lists and hire scouting staff to create their own data on players. Maybe don't mention that we didn't take the BPA when in fact Juolevi was Bennings BPA at 5. Get it?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Nope. Just said we didn't take bpa according to the consensus. Didn't say if we should of or shouldn't have. So relax. 

People get fixated on individual rankings far, FAR too much. The draft is best viewed in groups or tiers.

Juolevi and Tkachuck where in the same tier and it's their individual traits, positions etc that make one or the other more or less valuable to a particular team while their overall value as a draft player is basically equal.

The biggest reason MT was 'ranked' higher was simply because of the position he plays and not necessarily the player himself. D take longer and are less predictable. Doesn't mean the forward is going to be better.

I would probably have put PLD, OJ, MT, Keller, Nylander, Jost, Serg all in that same tier or group last year and would have been fine with Benning taking any of them if he saw fit (though I also preferred Juolevi).

This year is arguably even more pronounced with Mittel, Vilardi, Necas, Glass, Pettersson, Lilj and Makar all basically equal 'value' and even guys like Suzuki who could easily be argued in there as well. Honestly the 5-25 this year, are quite up in the air. I'd not be surprised to see guys ranked around 20 go closer to 10 or guys ranked 10-15 go 5-10 etc.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

It depends how the lottery goes 

if Colorado picks 2nd and we pick 3rd 

theres a chance that they take Llegren considering how they desperately need defence 

or other possibility it may just take a trade of Ben Hutton to move up one spot

Tough draft to predict im not even sure who's going 1st

What has Hischier been up to lately? 

Well, he was named rookie of the year and top pro prospect in the Q, but that doesn't come as much of a surprise. The Mooseheads were eliminated from the playoffs so the next chance to see Nico will be at the World Under 18's starting next week.

15 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Well, he was named rookie of the year and top pro prospect in the Q, but that doesn't come as much of a surprise. The Mooseheads were eliminated from the playoffs so the next chance to see Nico will be at the World Under 18's starting next week.

He tailed off quite a bit from his hot start.  He started the year off picking up point in 21 of his first 25 games with a total of 34 points (22 goals) in that time  He really fell of in the month of feb where he only picked up 3 points (1 goal) in 8 games. 

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He tailed off quite a bit from his hot start.  He started the year off picking up point in 21 of his first 25 games with a total of 34 points (22 goals) in that time  He really fell of in the month of feb where he only picked up 3 points (1 goal) in 8 games. 

Then he put up 7 points in 6 playoff games, not that I watched any of them.

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Then he put up 7 points in 6 playoff games, not that I watched any of them.

Sure that's not bad, but it doesn't even put him in the top 20 for PPG for the first round of playoffs, Zuke put up 8 points in 4 games.

I would say for a potential first overall pick, it's quite a drop off in comparison to previous drafts.

If you consider Ehlers, who is the same size, weight and plays a similar game, destroyed Hischier in points in his draft year ended up going 9th overall. 

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sure that's not bad, but it doesn't even put him in the top 20 for PPG for the first round of playoffs, Zuke put up 8 points in 4 games.

I would say for a potential first overall pick, it's quite a drop off in comparison to previous drafts.

If you consider Ehlers, who is the same size, weight and plays a similar game, destroyed Hischier in points in his draft year ended up going 9th overall. 

That was also a pretty stacked team that went to round 3, 97 points vs 60 points, +63 GF and -77 GA....context.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That was also a pretty stacked team that went to round 3, 97 points vs 60 points, +63 GF and -77 GA....context.

That was the knock on him, if he was a product of drouin and the team, but then he increased his production the following year to 1.98ppg

In 2014 he was in on 35% of his teams total production

in 2015 he was in on 44.5% of his teams total production

Ehlers was able to increase his production with less around him.

Hischier in his draft year is in on 37.5% of his teams total production. 

Will he be able to up that production..

Do you Hischer is a better prospect than Ehlers was in his draft year?  I would say they are very comparable, which is my point. Ehlers was a 9th overall pick.  If Hischier was in the 2014 draft would he go ahead of Nylander at 8?  Probably not. 

If we get the first overall pick, we have some major decisions to make.  Hischer vs Patrick vs trading that pick. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That was the knock on him, if he was a product of drouin and the team, but then he increased his production the following year to 1.98ppg

In 2014 he was in on 35% of his teams total production

in 2015 he was in on 44.5% of his teams total production

Ehlers was able to increase his production with less around him.

Hischier in his draft year is in on 37.5% of his teams total production. 

Will he be able to up that production..

Do you Hischer is a better prospect than Ehlers was in his draft year?  I would say they are very comparable, which is my point. Ehlers was a 9th overall pick.  If Hischier was in the 2014 draft would he go ahead of Nylander at 8?  Probably not. 

If we get the first overall pick, we have some major decisions to make.  Hischer vs Patrick vs trading that pick. 

Different drafts, hard to compare. If that draft was re-done, Ehlers also likely goes sooner. He'd arguably go around 3rd after Ekblad/Drai.

Do I think Hischier is better? I'd say they're roughly on par. Patrick roughly on par with Drai.

Agreed on decisions if we get 1st... I have that same issue in my fantasy league....not remotely sure what I'm going to do :lol:

32 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sure, I didn't realize people were attempting to directly compare him to previous drafts. That information seems quite irrelevant once draft day arrives. I've made it pretty clear who I would take between Nico and Nolan, but if Jim gets an offer from another team it had better be lights out good. Doesn't much matter to me what position the players would be drafted at in *insert year here*, what matters is that we continue to fill organizational needs. If Nico is the best available option then trading down, or across, for another maybe seems like an odd decision. As usual though, it depends on who JB really likes, and what his scouts see. I barely know enough to draft through the 2nd round, and that's stretching it.

On 4/4/2017 at 9:45 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

A while back, I posted a summary of what a poster over on HF allegedly leaked from a source. Apparently last year he predicted that the Canucks would take Juolevi over Tkachuk by the halfway mark of the season, so it could mean something. Again, probably take it with a grain of salt. It's not Benning coming out with this information.

----------------------------------------------

- On Mittlestadt:

"We will not end up with him. I guarantee that to you. I am 100 percent sure, ok at this point the lowest we will finish is 8. With the 8 pick if he is on the board the Vancouver Canucks WILL NOT BE DRAFTING MITTELSTADT. WILL NOT. Absolultey not. We all not be drafting guys who accumulate 80% of their points on the power play. I will reveal my source like one day before the draft. I promise you guys this."

- A lengthy follow up post:

"This is my source. I will not reveal the full list, but I will reveal the ones that are of interest to Canucks fans.

i,will not say which list this belongs too, all I will tell ya "this NHL team" based on this list their interest level on vilardi and mittelstadt. I don't want Canuck fans to all pissy and stuff when draft day comes BOTH of them are still on board and we pass up on those guys. I will warn you guys ahead of time. I like you guys want the Canucks to suceed too. Feel free to look around mock drafts and stuff, but don't over rely on those. Each player is ranked In a consensuss style. They will be debated. To this point, of course not every scouting staff sees eye to eye. 

I will also, reveal the 2nd ranked 2 way foward according to this team who ranks players based on playing style. Necas is number 2 on this list. They really like him.

Keeping in mind I am almost certain they have the next 2 "2way fowards" ahead of the number 2 ranked "offensive foward". And ad you guys can probably make a guess how many players are in between mittelstadt and heicher, and that's just one category. So already 

You guys can probably gauge yourself, now. Nico/Nolan 1-2. Somewhere in the mix 3-5 is necas, # 3ranked fwd and #4, 2way fwd and #1 ranked offensive dman. 

6 7 8

At this point maybe #2 ranked offensive foward. A huge maybe. If you see list yourself I am almost certain "most nucks fans " will much rather have the number 1 and 2 ranked offensive dmans over the number 2 ranked offensive Fwd. well for me I rather have those offensive dmans over that player. not only that, we also added dahlen and goldobin, boeser is on the rise and baertchi is also improving, so if you ask me I will gladly pass up,on him and stock pile our defence. Cause this player is also not a centre.

Let's not ignore the number 1 ranked power foward. Is he in the 6-8 range? How bout the number 3 ranked offensive fwd? I take this guy 10 out of 10 times over mittelstadt. Why?

Those 2 players play in the same league. That player has 80 percent of his points even strength. Mittelstadt is the opposite. 80 of his stats is from the power play. 

that's all I have to say. I will keep you guys updated when I can. The reason why I said the day before draft is because I can obtain their "final rankings" at that point, and if I can it's 100 percent their final rankings. 

(*his/her*) Personal oppions of this list.

This list was complied by an NHL team, by their scouts. No one has to agree with the list. We've seen NHL teams make the wrong picks before, and it happens. 

I'm sure you guys are surprised to see vilardi and mittelstadt ranked were they are. I am too. This list has give me a chance to see why those players are ranked lower, I am also trying to research, why some players are higher. 

Mittelstadt, I was able obtain information that something like 80 percent of his points are from the power play. I do not have a linkable source on this one. if I can find something I will share it, but most of his points is from the power play. Not to mention his 2 way game needs harsh work that's why he's put into "offensive fwd" thus me saying why I am 100 percent sure will not. Be drafting him with the 8th pick.

Without giving away too much info , I will tell you guys this.

Surprised at were this team has comtois and rasmuesson ranked. 
Surprised at were foote is ranked.
Very surpsrised at were they have Cody glass and Yamamoto ranked."

* He included a picture of the categories and the rankings. Most of the names were inked out:

2-Way F:

Patrick

Necas

Lots of inked out names

PWF:

Kostin

______

Offensive F:
Hischier

______

Mittlestadt

_______

Vilardi

________

________

OFD:

Liljegren

_______

2 Way D:
_______

Foote

_______

_______

Other Categories were empty.

- A later response:

"I cannot disclose that, but its their "latest". 

"its highly unlikely we fall to 8th, to fall to 8th means 3 teams behind us winning the top 3 picks, which is highly unlikely that said, for the sake of it, if we retain the 5th pick, which is our current position. I am 99.9 percent sure we are walking out of this draft with either centreman or a dman. DMAN is if necas and the other centreman they want is gone, then I really think they will target the offensive dman. I rather have that offensive dman over over the number 3 ranked 2 way forward or the number 2 ranked offensive forward. easy."

- A reply to someone asking about his source:

"who said my source was with the Canucks ;)?"

- On Vilardi:

"I see. 71 points 60 games is not elite , let alone top 3. is not that impressive considering he has Logan Brown as a teammate and Michael Sergechev. Not to mention foot speed is resembles Michael Dal Cole at the same age and he is not even ripping it up. Does not represent a top 3 pick at all.

I think that might be the reason why they are not too impressed with Vilardi. lets not lose hope maybe he jumps higher? who knows."

- On Necas:

"kids already doing a fine job playing against men. his hard working and highly skilled style will be North American ready."

- A later response:

"suzuki was not rated.

there are 2 other players in between Heicher and MIttelstadt, so he is actually rated the 4th best offensive foward in this draft.

list was compiled by an NHL team."

- When asked about category rankings vs a list:

"they do have a ranking system based on bpa, I just don't have that list. I"ve seen it before. this list was just a break down of playing styles of prospects."

--------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone wants to see for themselves, his name is lawrence on HF Boards.

I'm not sure how valid this information could be. His spelling/grammar are not good at all, but apparently he was right last year so I can't really say. These are all direct quotes from him/her. The lists are only within their respective categories, so it's impossible to predict who specifically they could be targeting. For example, Necas is ranked #2 in the 2 way forwards category, but does that mean they like him more than Liljegren, who is ranked #1 in the offensive defensemen category? It's impossible to get specifics, but it offers an idea of who they might like or not like. 

Side note, He talked about possibly being able to obtain the final rankings at the end of the year. He also made a point of not trying to get his source fired or exposed. 

Again, take it with a grain of salt. 

I must say, what an interesting post true or not true.

I have really warmed up to the idea of Liljegren or Necas as our pick.

• Upvote 2

Makes me happy to see Vilardi and Mittelstadt ranked lower on that list if it's true. I feel the same about those guys, I'd take Liljegren, Necas or even Petterson before those 2. Kostin is an interesting name to have on the list, he was injured a bunch this year no? I saw him in the top prospects game and he looked like a solid player to me. Nothing flashy but strong and smart. Good skater as well. I'd take him before Valardi and Mittelstadt

2 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Well then who cares... you hire a GM to create their own lists and hire scouting staff to create their own data on players. Maybe don't mention that we didn't take the BPA when in fact Juolevi was Bennings BPA at 5. Get it?

Cool. Good for you?