The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

26 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Button today suggesting that Makar will be top-5 in his next list.

After consistently hearing about his continued raise in rankings I had to check him out:

Definitely has some nice skills both in terms of stick handling and skating. He is a defenseman that we could use walking the line during the power play. Although he is only playing in the AJHL so can't really say how his playing style works with larger, better competition. With that said, Tyson Jost was selected out of the BCHL last year and is doing pretty well for himself. I take Makar is planning on the College route as well. 

Edited by HomeBrew

8 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

My crystal ball says we draft Petterson 

I would prefer mittelstadt but that's just me. Plus Sedins would be great mentors for Dahlen and Petterson 

Sedins might be retired before either one of them steps on the ice in North America - let alone on the Canucks. 

11 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I would prefer mittelstadt but that's just me. Plus Sedins would be great mentors for Dahlen and Petterson 

Vlardi is my guess :D  I'm ok with any of the top 5-7 players.  I'd taken Tolvanen if we had too :D so many talented young players.  

26 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Button today suggesting that Makar will be top-5 in his next list.

Interesting.  He looks to be very methodical on the PP.  A little slow maybe predictable but he would probably mesh very well with Juolevi.  There was 1 play near the end of the highlight reel that showed his partner plays a similar style as Juolevi on the PP.  THat was just 1 clip though lol so not a good sample size.  I hope we get a top end C and draft a D man or 2 in the 2nd round and maybe as our 1st next season.  

We could use that bonafide #2 or possibly #1 C that can grow with our current group.  Gaudette could be that but having another option is important.  Not every player continues to excel once they advance to the nhl level.  Would love an extra C option that can grow with the group!

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

I get this feeling as well. Does anybody else think that the only reason we got Dahlen was because Benning was scouting Pettersson? That Benning saw Dahlen and probably persistently asked for him as a return in the Burrows trade over just a straight pick.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why JB wants to draft a PPQB when he's got Juolevi, Stecher, Hutton and Subban sitting in the wings. I think Juolevi will be that guy on the powerplay. We either need a future Norris-worthy defenceman or a stud center to complement Horvat. Doesn't have to be a 90+ point generational talent, just a good two way center who can score 60-90 points.

I say we gun it hard for a top-3 pick. Trade up if need be, use a defenceman or prospect to move up. 1st (4-7th overall) + Virtanen + late pick for Arizona's 2nd overall pick. They don't need another center (have Keller, Strome, Domi). Take Hirschier or Nolan.

If we're lucky we flip Edler or Tanev at the draft for a 1st rounder mid-to-late and snag a defenceman, but I'd be happy with 1 big play involving a move up to the top-3. Hirschier or Nolan would be the perfect complementary player to take some pressure off Horvat. Gives us that 1-2 punch again that most cup winning cores have.

• Upvote 1

Yamamoto with a hat trick today including two goals in the final 1:02 to force overtime... its too bad we couldn't nab another first rounder somewhere in the 20s because he's quickly become one of my favourite players in the draft. I really think he's gonna be one of those small guys like Gaudreau or Johnson who puts up points anywhere he goes despite his size. Maybe he slips to our early second rounder (or San Jose's first ^_^) if enough teams have hesitations over his size, but I doubt it.

As for our first, I'm liking what I hear about Pettersson more and more. Barring a miracle where we get Patrick/Hischier, I think Pettersson and Bo could form a great 1-2 combo given a few years' time.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not sure why JB wants to draft a PPQB when he's got Juolevi, Stecher, Hutton and Subban sitting in the wings. I think Juolevi will be that guy on the powerplay. We either need a future Norris-worthy defenceman or a stud center to complement Horvat. Doesn't have to be a 90+ point generational talent, just a good two way center who can score 60-90 points.

I say we gun it hard for a top-3 pick. Trade up if need be, use a defenceman or prospect to move up. 1st (4-7th overall) + Virtanen + late pick for Arizona's 2nd overall pick. They don't need another center (have Keller, Strome, Domi). Take Hirschier or Nolan.

If we're lucky we flip Edler or Tanev at the draft for a 1st rounder mid-to-late and snag a defenceman, but I'd be happy with 1 big play involving a move up to the top-3. Hirschier or Nolan would be the perfect complementary player to take some pressure off Horvat. Gives us that 1-2 punch again that most cup winning cores have.

For some reason everyone in the east seems to be high on Edler. Maybe they remember the old Edler. I bet we can get a mid 1st for him in this draft. 

11 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

For some reason everyone in the east seems to be high on Edler. Maybe they remember the old Edler. I bet we can get a mid 1st for him in this draft. 

A mid pick would be lovely but Philadelphia, Florida, Tampa, Ottowa and NYR might be suitable places for him.

Edler + 3rd rounder for a mid to late 1st pick? If the Sharks win the Cup we end up with 3 1st rounders, not bad.

Take a top center with our high pick, defenceman with the middle and a big forward with the late pick.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

That would be awesome.  I really hope that happens.  One more season of sucking and loading up on picks especially in a strong draft in 2018 might put us in a good position to compete in a few years.. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

I would trade Edler for a bag of pucks at this point. I honestly don't think there is a more disappointing Canuck veteran in years. If seriousness, if anyone offers a 2nd or higher you take it and run. If not, I'd leave him exposed in the expansion draft.

• Upvote 1

Nolan Patrick, Nico Hischier, Gabe Vilardi, Casey mittlestadt, Martin Necas, and Cody glass could all be potential too Cs van should be scouting hard! Btw if anyone knows, I heard Pettersson is a winger in his SWE 2 league, but is listed as a C on every website! Anyone know what's up with him? 

1 hour ago, Kungfudru said:

That would be awesome.  I really hope that happens.  One more season of sucking and loading up on picks especially in a strong draft in 2018 might put us in a good position to compete in a few years.. 

IF we could get a mid 1st round pick for Edler that would be awesome. 

if a team offered us that, I'd take it and run!! 

10 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Yamamoto with a hat trick today including two goals in the final 1:02 to force overtime... its too bad we couldn't nab another first rounder somewhere in the 20s because he's quickly become one of my favourite players in the draft. I really think he's gonna be one of those small guys like Gaudreau or Johnson who puts up points anywhere he goes despite his size. Maybe he slips to our early second rounder (or San Jose's first ^_^) if enough teams have hesitations over his size, but I doubt it.

As for our first, I'm liking what I hear about Pettersson more and more. Barring a miracle where we get Patrick/Hischier, I think Pettersson and Bo could form a great 1-2 combo given a few years' time.

Debrincat last season 

similar numbers and size slightly more hype dropped to 30th

18 hours ago, Canuck Drogo said:

Thank you. I've been regularily reading these forums for nearly a decade now, enjoying the opinions and input from fellow fans, and finally decided to jump into the fray. I just can't seem to have proper hockey convos with any of my friends and my wife gets a little tired of my Canuck talk sometimes (she's a trooper though lol). 

Welcome...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

Y'all sleeping on Necas.

I feel sometimes these european prospects fall a bit due to low exposure. Every year you see a guy and wonder how so many guys were picked before them. Most recently Aho, Wennberg, Pastrnak, and Forsberg just to name a few.

Edited by flickyoursedin

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

A mid pick would be lovely but Philadelphia, Florida, Tampa, Ottowa and NYR might be suitable places for him.

Edler + 3rd rounder for a mid to late 1st pick? If the Sharks win the Cup we end up with 3 1st rounders, not bad.

Take a top center with our high pick, defenceman with the middle and a big forward with the late pick.

I would argue Edler's value is equal to Yannik Hansen's. A low second round prospect + a 3rd round conditional pick. Or a mid to high first round pick with no other picks. If there is chance we can get a mid 1st round pick i would be ok adding in a high pick to make the deal happen. 

23 hours ago, Canuck Drogo said:

Thank you. I've been regularily reading these forums for nearly a decade now, enjoying the opinions and input from fellow fans, and finally decided to jump into the fray. I just can't seem to have proper hockey convos with any of my friends and my wife gets a little tired of my Canuck talk sometimes (she's a trooper though lol). 

This comment has hit a sympathetic note on CDC (lots of pluses).  Yeah, CDC is a big help in concealing obsessive compulsive tendencies from the rest of the world as you can just go to your computer and pretend  you are working or maybe looking at x-rated videos when you are secretly getting a Canuck fix.

But it is not likely to help bring an obsessive interest in the Canucks under control.

• Upvote 1