The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Andrey Pedan and F Alexandre Grenier

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have signed defenceman Andrey Pedan and forward Alexandre Grenier each to a one-year, two-way contract extension.

Pedan, 23, appeared in 13 games for the Canucks in his debut NHL season in 2015.16. He recorded at least two hits in each game played and led the team with 3.1 hits per game. The 6-5, 217-pound defenceman also skated in 45 games for the AHL Utica Comets last season, registering career-highs in several categories including games played, goals (7), assists (14) and points (21). Appearing in 129 AHL regular season games over parts of four seasons, Pedan has collected 50 points (15-35-50) along with 258 penalty minutes.

A native of Moscow, Russia, Pedan was acquired from the New York Islanders in exchange for Alexandre Mallet and a 2016 third-round selection on November 25, 2014. He was originally selected by the New York Islanders, 63rd overall, at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

Grenier, 24, appeared in six games for Vancouver in his first NHL season in 2015.16. He also appeared in 69 games with the AHL Utica Comets, leading the team in both points (48) and assists (32) and finishing tied for the third in goals (16). The 6-4, 211-pound forward then added a team-high two goals and three points in four Calder Cup Playoff games. In 208 career AHL regular season games over parts of four seasons, Grenier has registered 130 points (50-80-130) along with 172 penalty minutes.

A native of Laval, Quebec, Grenier was originally selected by Vancouver in the third round, 90th overall, at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=889528

3 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Both of them don't really have a place on this team for the opening night roster, barring injuries. They will both be solid call-ups though.

Pedan might, Grenier will most likely be in Utica unless he really impresses.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Excited to see if Pedan could make a serious push to crack this roster. Grenier's last chance at making the NHL? 

Grenier is waiver-eligible this year, but I expect that he will clear waivers and be sent back to Utica to begin the season. I agree that he has reached the age where he does not have lot of age-related improvement left, so he needs to make an impact this year. He needs to do well in Utica, earn a call-up with the Canucks at some point in the year and show he belongs. Otherwise it is hard to see him making it in the future.

Pedan is also waiver-eligible. I did not understand why the Canucks did not give him more playing time last year. He is big, strong, tough, and fast. And he has a hard shot. He played well in Utica. Statistically he was impressive, close to half a point a game and +17.I don't think he would clear waivers and I expect him to make the team out of camp.  He at least deserves a long look.

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Wonder what their salary is like, would be nice to have some cheap NHL salaries on roster

Excited to have Pedan. I think he will be with the Nucks all year.  Maybe just 35 or 45 games, but?

Grenier is good depth. He'll have to knock off at least Gaunce to make the NHL roster though.

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Excited to have Pedan. I think he will be with the Nucks all year.  Maybe just 35 or 45 games, but?

Grenier is good depth. He'll have to knock off at least Gaunce to make the NHL roster though.

If we're carrying 8 D-men I don't see any way Grenier is on the opening roster unless either Rodin flops or Virtanen starts in Utica.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Burrows Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Rodin

That being said I think a trade is almost a certainty at this point. That top 6 isn't gonna cut it if they plan on making the playoffs. 

Waive Sbisa(no one grabs his contract) over Pedan.. Love to see the team have ample size & grit, especially on EVERY D pairing.

Edler  ..Gud

Hutton  ..Try man

Pedan  ..Larssen/Biega

Deal the brilliant Tanev(maybe with CBJ's 2nd?) for a Landeskog/Nylander type of return.

Skill up front.

Nasty size on D.

Great 'tending.

Glad we signed both and would rather see Grenier show what he can do then have ageing veterans Dorsett and Burrows in the lineup. Pedan will make a solid seventh defensman this year! Getting really excited about our D and goalies

Edler-tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Larsen-Tryamkin

Pedan-Sbisa

Juolevi-Subban

Miller

Markstrom

Demko

Garteig

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Waive Sbisa(no one grabs his contract) over Pedan.. Love to see the team have ample size & grit, especially on EVERY D pairing.

Edler  ..Gud

Hutton  ..Try man

Pedan  ..Larssen/Biega

Deal the brilliant Tanev(maybe with CBJ's 2nd?) for a Landeskog/Nylander type of return.

Skill up front.

Nasty size on D.

Great 'tending.

I'm not Sbisa's biggest fan boy but I think I'd prefer him in that bottom pairing spot over Pedan.

20 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Both of them don't really have a place on this team for the opening night roster, barring injuries. They will both be solid call-ups though.

Grenier will be in Utica and will probably clear waivers..I cant see them signing Pedan and losing him to waivers...unless there is a trade out there.

2 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I'm not Sbisa's biggest fan boy but I think I'd prefer him in that bottom pairing spot over Pedan.

I'd love to see them lose that contract. Win/lose, I'd rather see a back end with some skill, but mostly extra size & push-back.

Even Edm with Lucic, Kass & Ultra-Maroon can't get too cocky.

Archived