The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Rangers sign F Jimmy Vesey [2 year ELC]

6 hours ago, Nessnuck27 said:

The CBA needs to fix this stupid rule. If you don't sign with the team that drafted you, you re enter the draft. Simple as that, as a young inexperienced player that hasn't played 1 NHL game, should not be allowed to pick where he wants to play. He hasn't earned that right yet.

Couldn't agree more +1

6 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Makes sense.  A contending team that's only a short distance from Boston.

As reported Boston, Toronto, and the Sabres fell out of the Top 3 destinations last week.

No hard feelings, but I hope he fails miserably. :lol:

I don't think New York is going to be a legitimate contender much longer. That window is sliding. 

26 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think New York is going to be a legitimate contender much longer. That window is sliding. 

I hope you're right.  Then all of the teams in the Northeast that he snubbed, plus Nashville, can laugh at him. 

Boston fans are pretty angry with him. :lol:

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I hope you're right.  Then all of the teams in the Northeast that he snubbed, plus Nashville, can laugh at him. 

Boston fans are pretty angry with him. :lol:

I'm surprised he chose New York over Buffalo. Things are ascending in Buffalo and doing the opposite with NY. 

I feel bad for Nashville. That's a team on the rise and an organization that's worked so hard to make Hockey work in a non-traditional market and have succeeded. But when your drafted prospect refuses to sign so he can go to a traditional big non-Canadian market like NYR you kind of hope Preds fans tears Vesey apart once the Rangers visit Nashville.  

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm not mad at all.  My point is strictly money.  He gave up three huge earning years, that he will never get back.  He will be 26 coming out of his .eLC now.  He signs a bridge deal, and he isn't a UFA until he's friggin 30!  He has cost himself literally millions.  

But he has a college education now. 

If he fizzles out soon, like I hope he does, he will have something to fall back on.  

Never a bad thing to get educated!

I have really started to dislike the double standard fans have on what is acceptable for a player to do and what is acceptable for a team.

A player is supposed to be "loyal" to the team that drafted him but the team does not have any such obligation. You get a contract from the team if you are good enough. If you don't they will get rid of you and you might just end up working at a gas station a few years later.

Even if you do get a contract and you end up not being good enough, the same team can get rid of you by buying out that contract. Teams can use all kinds of measures like sending you down to the AHL. Sending you home so that you don't get injured so that they can buy you out. 

The fact of the matter is that professional sports is brutally competitive. If you are good enough you make it if you aren't then well...tough luck. So if teams are given a pass because they are trying to be competitive and looking out for their best interests then why can't players do the same. 

Are you loyal to your employer? If you see a better opportunity elsewhere, would you stick by your employer because they gave you your first job offer? Is it "entitlement" if a person decides to quit their job and go elsewhere? 

Professional sports is a business and its a competitive one. I fail to see why a player looking out for his best interests is viewed with such disdain.

Just because Vesey spurned one offer for another doesn't make him "entitled".

Posts like "He should be grateful to receive an offer" just don't make sense to me. He is receiving an offer because he is good enough to get a shot to play in the NHL. All these teams that are offering him contracts didn't do so through the goodness of their hearts, they are trying to run a business and recruit a potential talent onto their team. In short they are looking out for their best interests and Vesey has every right to do the same.

Like it or not this rule isn't going anywhere. The PA will not allow it as it reduces the leverage players have when they go to sign their ELCs. For example if the Canucks decide that they will not offer Boeser any bonuses. Boeser can threaten to stay in college and walk as a UFA. In short it can keep teams honest when a player negotiates an ELC. Even if the PA did accept to get rid of it, a player can file an anti-trust lawsuit as it's a clear attempt to coerce him into signing with the team holding his rights.

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm surprised he chose New York over Buffalo. Things are ascending in Buffalo and doing the opposite with NY. 

Buffalo is more than double the distance from Boston than New York City is.  The NYR probably also promised him the world and promised him that they were getting better.

6 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Buffalo is more than double the distance from Boston than New York City is.  The NYR probably also promised him the world and promised him that they were getting better.

I am not sure they were able to promise him a top-6 spot like Nashville or Buffalo did.  

There's Kreider and Miller although both also play RW.  But at RW they have Nash, Zuccarello and possibly Buchnevich.  Looks like he could be on the 3rd line with Hayes - with whom he's very good friends.  Maybe not such a bad thing for him. 

19 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Maybe Hayes and Kreider pitched him on it? Fellow Massachusetts boys I believe. Maybe he was just drawn to Lundqvist's stunning bone structure and impeccable wardrobe. I certainly would be.

@Toews I agree with your post, I hadn't considered all of those points from the other side of the coin before. Where it bothers me is how he seemed to string Nashville along. Didn't he explicitly, or almost explicitly, tell them he'd sign?

Just now, mll said:

I am not sure they were able to promise him a top-6 spot like Nashville or Buffalo did.  

There's Kreider and Miller although both also play RW.  But at RW they have Nash, Zuccarello and possibly Buchnevich.  Looks like he could be on the 3rd line with Hayes - with whom he's very good friends.  Maybe not such a bad thing for him. 

They probably asked him if he could play either side and I'm sure he told them he could.  At that point, in his head, he probably figures that he can beat out one of the other four guys in the Top 4.  I just want to sit back and laugh if it blows up in his face.

Can't wait until that lard-a$$ Larry Brooks gets on his case and plasters his name in the paper if he doesn't live up to his hype.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

I have really started to dislike the double standard fans have on what is acceptable for a player to do and what is acceptable for a team.

A player is supposed to be "loyal" to the team that drafted him but the team does not have any such obligation. You get a contract from the team if you are good enough. If you don't they will get rid of you and you might just end up working at a gas station a few years later.

Even if you do get a contract and you end up not being good enough, the same team can get rid of you by buying out that contract. Teams can use all kinds of measures like sending you down to the AHL. Sending you home so that you don't get injured so that they can buy you out. 

The fact of the matter is that professional sports is brutally competitive. If you are good enough you make it if you aren't then well...tough luck. So if teams are given a pass because they are trying to be competitive and looking out for their best interests then why can't players do the same. 

Are you loyal to your employer? If you see a better opportunity elsewhere, would you stick by your employer because they gave you your first job offer? Is it "entitlement" if a person decides to quit their job and go elsewhere? 

Professional sports is a business and its a competitive one. I fail to see why a player looking out for his best interests is viewed with such disdain.

Just because Vesey spurned one offer for another doesn't make him "entitled".

Posts like "He should be grateful to receive an offer" just don't make sense to me. He is receiving an offer because he is good enough to get a shot to play in the NHL. All these teams that are offering him contracts didn't do so through the goodness of their hearts, they are trying to run a business and recruit a potential talent onto their team. In short they are looking out for their best interests and Vesey has every right to do the same.

Like it or not this rule isn't going anywhere. The PA will not allow it as it reduces the leverage players have when they go to sign their ELCs. For example if the Canucks decide that they will not offer Boeser any bonuses. Boeser can threaten to stay in college and walk as a UFA. In short it can keep teams honest when a player negotiates an ELC. Even if the PA did accept to get rid of it, a player can file an anti-trust lawsuit as it's a clear attempt to coerce him into signing with the team holding his rights.

Vesey took advantage of what was available to him and good for him. It is a loophole that I hope gets plugged. My reasoning is that the draft is supposed to let 'smart' teams have access to good young talent. Failing this idea the NHL becomes a $ league where rich markets can take all that young talent. The NYR's have been famous for their huge player contracts.

16 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Atleast make a rule that the NYR would have to give BUF a 2nd or 3rd to sign him

Not sure why Buffalo should be compensated.   Nashville was the team that drafted him.  Buffalo acquired his rights, knowing it was a risk and that there was a good chance he wouldn't sign.  It's the team that drafts these players that should be compensated - that's only the case if it's a 1st round pick (in this case Nashville cut their losses by dealing his rights.)  In the case of Mike Reilly, Columbus simply got shafted.

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't get this Vessey.  If he would have signed with Nashville three seasons ago, he would be into the big money contact right now. He has really cost himself big money.  For a college kid, he seems actually pretty stupid.  

That's not how it works Alf.  He can't sign a pro contract and continue to play in college.  He only emerged in the last few years - what he missed out on was actually only a couple years in the AHL making the lesser terms of a two way contract - in other words, less than 100k/season.

Perhaps it's ironic that you're here calling him dumb.

Archived