The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

World Cup of Hockey -- Positive or Negative for Canucks

shoeyj86

Gives the Canucks more time to evaluate other players in preseason.  Players that go to the world cup won't be playing as much preseason, nor will they even need to.  Players like Sbisa can ensure their roster spot by his play in the WC

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

just no injuries please

Depends. If it's Kopitar and Doughty colliding, and blowing out each other's knees, then yeah...I guess it's positive for the Canucks.

...But if it's Henrik and Daniel, then well...we could always use another lottery pick...

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Depends. If it's Kopitar and Doughty colliding, and blowing out each other's knees, then yeah...I guess it's positive for the Canucks.

...But if it's Henrik and Daniel, then well...we could always use another lottery pick...

I was thinking similar things.

Maybe that will get me watching it. Hoping for other injuries.

I'm so awful. And I love it. ::D 

12 hours ago, shoeyj86 said:

@Aircool We all have our opinions on what direction the team should go and what is needed to get us back to the SCF. I personally like what management is doing to reshape our roster and form a new identity, which Im of the opinion is the single most important thing any team can have. No team is successful in any sport without a singular identity with which all the players buy into. We had one, but lost it after 2011 and have never really had one since, but that is changing; TLJB are making sure of that. So, I'll ride it out and see what happens. 

Cool story bro. The thing about people's opinions, is that while they might respect others opinions, they'll fundamentally never agree with them if they don't match their own opinion. I expressed my opinion, admittedly in the most bait-ey way that I could... Because I thought it would be hilarious. We just don't have enough young talent to be a cup contender any time soon, it's really not a debate, anyone who denies that is nothing but a homer... and anyone that argues that is a lost cause.

For sure it will be a positive thing for those Canucks participating in the World Cup. I think it will be a mega boost to the confidence in both Sbisa and Hansen. Plus we get to be treated to a sweet preview in seeing Eriksson with the Sedins  working on the chemistry together before the season starts. 

Players don't have to go, so it's completely up to them. For my part, I love the World Cup of Hockey as much as Olympic hockey. Bring it on! A Canada - Sweden final would be excellent as it would feel like a win either way.

22 hours ago, Nuckles80 said:

My guess is most of the players in the World cup will get limited action in the preseason - its a positive in that regard as well as it gives the coaches/mgmt/fans a better look at the prospects.

22 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Negative - this team still lives and dies by the offensive production of the twins.  They are long in the tooth and have shown a tendency to slow down late in seasons and with age comes the increased risk of injury.  The twins don't need pre-season tournaments to get ready to play.  They are in great shape, always, and chemistry is never an issue.

The OP has a good post, with an interesting consideration of the pluses and minuses. I think Nuckles has a key point. I would hardly expect the Sedins and Eriksson to play at all in preseason. As DIB points out, the Sedins do wear down over the long NHL season, as is absolutely normal given their age and the amount they play and the role they play on the team. We cannot realistically expect things to change this year and the Sedins to have a strong World Cup, go through pre-season, a solid 82 game season and then (maybe) play well in the playoffs. It is very unlikely to happen. 

The best thing the Canucks can do, which will help a bit, is to let them rest during preseason.

And injury is a significant risk for every player in the World Cup. On balance GMs will be nervous about the tournament. Realistically, I think the only Canuck player who has a good chance of benefiting from the tournament is Sbisa.

And if he plays well it could increase his trade value (pushing it up from about 0, where it is now given his salary) to maybe being able to attract a decent draft pick at the deadline if the Canucks are sellers, or maybe an earlier trade for the elusive top 6 forward the Canucks are still looking for.

Haha. 

Gotta annoy the uninformed Sbisa haters to see him selected to play in this tournament.

While it may surprise some Canucks fans, Krueger expects Sbisa — a lightning rod for criticism here the past few seasons — to play a key role on the European blueline.

VANCOUVER, BC - MARCH 1: Luca Sbisa #5 of the Vancouver Canucks skates up ice during their NHL game against the New York Islanders at Rogers Arena March 1, 2016 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Luca Sbisa will suit up for Ralph Krueger’s Team Europe at the World Cup this September.Jeff Vinnick / PNG

“Having coached Switzerland for 13 years, I know Luca really, really well,” Krueger said in a phone interview from London. “He’s played for me and one of the highlights was when he came from junior to Vancouver in 2010 and he was the only junior player to play in the Olympics.

“He was a big surprise and ended up being one of top four defencemen right through the tournament. He’s going to help our team, in giving us a two-way game. He’s a tough player both physically and mentally. He’s a good tournament player.”

“Luca was definitely selected as somebody who is going to play in the tournament,” Krueger said.

“ I have no fear that he defensively can’t play up against everybody and he’ll be a good player when he comes in for us. Every team will be laden right through the lineup with talented individuals, so you can’t worry too much about matchups.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/enroth+replaces+injured+lerner+sweden+world/12153282/story.html

Enroth replaces injured Lehner for Sweden at World Cup

NEW YORK, N.Y. - With goaltender Robin Lehner still not fully healthy, Sweden replaced him on its World Cup of Hockey roster with Jhonas Enroth.

The Buffalo Sabres' starting goalie was bothered by a right ankle injury for much of last season that limited him to 21 NHL games. Lehner underwent surgery in March and had been working to get ready for the World Cup, which begins Sept. 17 in Toronto.

"We really wanted to give Robin the opportunity to recover from his injury from last year, but unfortunately it wasn't enough time for him to feel 100 per cent recovered," coach Rikard Gronborg said Friday in a statement released by the Swedish Ice Hockey Association.

Concussion problems held Lehner to 23 games in 2014-15, and he looked to be over those after the Ottawa Senators traded him to Buffalo at the 2015 draft. The 25-year-old injured his ankle early in the season opener and aggravated it in March.

It was not immediately clear when the Sabres expect Lehner to be back to 100 per cent.

"As Robin continues to progress during the off-season in his rehab from last season's ankle injury, he felt that it was best to withdraw from Team Sweden for the upcoming World Cup," Buffalo general manager Tim Murray said in a statement. "Robin felt it was important to continue his rehab in Buffalo to prepare for training camp. He has been working out both on and off the ice and we look forward to seeing him on the ice with our team next month."

Enroth, who spent last season with the Los Angeles Kings, recently signed a one-year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs. He joins Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers and Jacob Markstrom of the Vancouver Canucks as the goalies on Sweden's roster.

The 28-year-old has a 2.80 goals-against average and .911 save percentage in 147 career NHL games. Enroth was on the Swedish team that earned a silver medal at the 2014 Sochi Olympics, though he never appeared in a game. He started for Sweden at the 2013 and 2015 world hockey championships, winning gold in 2013 with a 1.15 GAA and .956 save percentage.

"With Jhonas we get an experienced goalie that we know can win games for Tre Kronor, with the 2013 World Championship performance fresh in mind," Gronborg said. "Even though he didn't get the amount of games he wanted last season in the NHL, he did deliver when called upon and had a very respectable save percentage."

On 2016-08-26 at 11:24 AM, iinatcc said:

Just the idea and concept of a World Cup of Hockey is a negative

Really???  World class hockey is a negative? Seems like a great opportunity to showcase the best players on earth and provide some preseason excitement. What`s not to like, other than the obvious injury potential which is universal? Will be interesting to see what the young guns can do. Hope I can catch the matches here in Europe. Guess you`ll be out fishing or bowling.

3 hours ago, groovy said:

Really???  World class hockey is a negative? Seems like a great opportunity to showcase the best players on earth and provide some preseason excitement. What`s not to like, other than the obvious injury potential which is universal? Will be interesting to see what the young guns can do. Hope I can catch the matches here in Europe. Guess you`ll be out fishing or bowling.

I think he's referring to the "cash grab" concept of the tournament as opposed to players playing exclusively for the pride of their countries in the Olympics and yearly World championships.

Long term The extra games for the older vets only increase the risk of injury later in the season when the grind and fatigue become factors. 

Short term the players get into game mode faster than pre season shimmy. 

Not having high hopes for this season as far as Van is concerned, so competitive hockey in September will be a nice to watch since we won't see it much this season. 

The World Cup is bad for everyone involved, bar the NHL's bank balance. It is just as pointless as the all-star game, except the ASG at least has the skills comp to make it interesting.

International hockey should only be Olympics, nothing else.

28 minutes ago, Captain Woodget said:

The World Cup is bad for everyone involved, bar the NHL's bank balance. It is just as pointless as the all-star game, except the ASG at least has the skills comp to make it interesting.

International hockey should only be Olympics, nothing else.

You've never watched a world cup or Canada Cup before? Comparing it to an all star game is laughable.

Archived