The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Johnny Gaudreau seeking $8M annually on new deal with Flames

On 9/9/2016 at 7:30 PM, DeNiro said:

You can, it's just risky because you're more likely to hit him in the head and get suspended.

Contact with the head isn't automatically a suspension. If you're delivering a full body check head contact is considered incidental to the hit. Head contact is only a suspension if targeting just the head instead of the body. Almost every hit from the front results in some head contact.

It makes 0 sense why player like Johnny would be waiting out to play the game he loves for a small amount of money compared to his over-all earnings.

If he is looking for $8 mill a year and Flames offering $6.5-7 that should be a no brainer to take. Never in history has a player who only played 2 years in the NHL is

arrogant enough to demand that type of cash. Who does he think he is? He is just a newbie coming into the NHL he has no say, he should be happy he is playing pro-hockey

at all.

Like in any job you have to pay your dues, I work in a union and I have to work for years to get to a respectable position that is how it is in todays world of careers and unions, you gotta work your way up and after a long time you get paid the big bucks.

This story seems to be staged, its unreal.

44 minutes ago, HockeyExpert said:

It makes 0 sense why player like Johnny would be waiting out to play the game he loves for a small amount of money compared to his over-all earnings.

He has an enormous amount of skill that only a select few players in the NHL carry. And considering there are only 850(ish) players in the NHL, he's in good company. So it makes all the sense in the world why he's waiting it out. His agent, who's a lot smarter than you or me, knows that he'll get paid.

If he is looking for $8 mill a year and Flames offering $6.5-7 that should be a no brainer to take.

Not a no brainer if he can get an extra $1M a year. That adds up, regardless how insane the amount is.

Never in history has a player who only played 2 years in the NHL is arrogant enough to demand that type of cash.

Not going to go through player history, but right now, Artemi Panarin has only played one season in the NHL and he's reported to want $6M/per. So two years at that production, it's not out of the ordinary in this day and age.

Who does he think he is? He is just a newbie coming into the NHL he has no say, he should be happy he is playing pro-hockey at all.

Obviously he has some say, or he would be playing for whatever the Flames offered him.

Like in any job you have to pay your dues, I work in a union and I have to work for years to get to a respectable position that is how it is in todays world of careers and unions, you gotta work your way up and after a long time you get paid the big bucks.

Professional sports salaries aren't measured by the same standards as your job.

This story seems to be staged, its unreal.

Tinfoil is down aisle 7.

I suspect that he wants a trade.  He wants to play for a team in N/E USA.  He will hold out for a trade or sign a short term contract.

Just think of all the goals he can score in the east; without having to worry about the high number of big bruisers in the west.

The players can think they can dictate terms after just 2 years or 1 year like Artim in Chicago but good for the Flames for not letting these kids bully people around. Asking for $7 million when you are just entering the league? I dont care if you are skilled, there are players who played for 10 years who earned their way who dont even make half of that.

This is how union labor is measured, professional sports is no different. The teams decide your fate, not you. You should be happy to be playing at all, the Calgary Flames developed him, they gave him a chance to play, without the Flames he would be a nobody. And this is how he repays their generosity? Unreal, pathetic.

1 minute ago, HockeyExpert said:

The players can think they can dictate terms after just 2 years or 1 year like Artim in Chicago but good for the Flames for not letting these kids bully people around.

It's a give and take. On the other hand, thank goodness it's not the 60s where players had zero say.

I always side with management, but in the sports industry, there are only a handful of people in the world who can do what they do, which is why they are paid the ridiculous coin they receive.

Asking for $7 million when you are just entering the league? I dont care if you are skilled, there are players who played for 10 years who earned their way who dont even make half of that.

Yup, and there's a clear difference in talent between Chris Neil and Andrew Ladd, and Andrew Ladd and Johnny Gaudreau.

This is how union labor is measured, professional sports is no different. The teams decide your fate, not you.

Not true. Every union is different, and the sports industry is not measured in the same league. If the team were to decide a players fate, then I guess Radulov left Nashville to play for free in Russia, right?

You should be happy to be playing at all, the Calgary Flames developed him, they gave him a chance to play, without the Flames he would be a nobody. And this is how he repays their generosity? Unreal, pathetic.

I love my job and consider myself incredibly fortunate to do what I do. But I wouldn't do it for free, nor would I do it for a pay cut.

The Flames certainly helped his development, but it's not as if they built him. The guy was born with an elite skill set and has the work ethic to build on that. Because of this, it's a two way street. The Flames don't dictate the terms, nor does he. It's a negotiation.

5 hours ago, HockeyExpert said:

If he is looking for $8 mill a year and Flames offering $6.5-7 that should be a no brainer to take. Never in history has a player who only played 2 years in the NHL is arrogant enough to demand that type of cash. Who does he think he is? He is just a newbie coming into the NHL he has no say, he should be happy he is playing pro hockey at all.

Who does he think he is? He's Johnny F-ing Hockey, mofo.

But seriously, Aaron Ekblad just got 7.5 mil for 8 years after only playing 2 seasons...you don't think he was asking for 8? Tarasenko got the same after 2.5 seasons. So not sure where you got that "history of NHL" nonsense.

Sean Monahan was just given 6.375 mil. Nathan MacKinnon was given close to the same. Gaudreau outproduces then both - quite significantly last season, where he was tied for 6th in points in the league. So why should he accept the same as lesser players?

And how the hell can you say the 6th highest scorer in the league hasn't proven himself already? He's already a top-10 player in the game. 

..."Newbie"...:picard:  

On 9/28/2016 at 10:38 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

According to Bob McKenzie, the Flames and Johnny Gaudreau are engaging in a "Cold War" when it comes to negotiations.

Both sides have laid their hand on the table and talks have come to a standstill.

Good. 

See you in Feb, Johnny :lol: 

From TSN:

Monahan hopeful Gaudreau deal will be done shortly

Sean Monahan admits that he's been all over teammate Johnny Gaudreau about getting a deal done before the start of the season and remains hopeful that this won't drag out.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/monahan-hopeful-gaudreau-deal-will-be-done-shortly~965832

"Sean...easy  bro. We got this." 

Just now, HKSR said:

So ummm... now would be a REALLY good time to give Johnny his $8mil per year contract via offer sheet lmao.  If Flames match, they're screwed, if they don't match, we have Little Johnny ;)

*Can't be offer sheeted.

Archived