The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Teams Inquiring About F Alex Burrows

hiebskey

On 2/11/2017 at 11:48 AM, WestCoastDave said:

I would go with the higher of the two picks in 2018 because of the rumored quality of this year's draft.  If Anaheim comes calling for Burrows, I would ask for one of their promising young prospects.

No, not for Burrows forget it

They can take their 2nd rounders and go draft themselves

For Burrows come playoffs, I want their first rounder and an "A" prospect I'd throw THEM a second rounder to make it work

You guys need to aim a little higher, what Burrows could bring might make all the difference to a playoff team. They want him? They need to PAY for him, the truth is that 2nd rounders only occasionally mean jack squat and we don't need 2 x jaqck squat, we've already got one, he's in the GM's office.

This goes for Hansen and Edler too, if you never gamble to never win big, I say let's play chicken with these teams and see who blinks first. Offer their rivals a steal of a deal for the same players if they stall, and say "If you don't take this deal. we are sending them to the team you are playing in the first round, we are going to stack them for half price, you'll never make it out of the division alive."

Let's at least try and kick SOMEONE'S a$$

On 2/12/2017 at 11:09 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Perhaps. Montreal would maybe give up a late 2nd, or conditional based on if they make it to the Eastern Conference finals (otherwise it becomes a 3rd). Something along those lines. 

Stop stop stop it with the "Yay a conditional 2nd (ooh and maybe a third whoopee!) how about we ask for some used toilet paper and some 10% poutine coupons?Cause they would probably be of greater benefit to our team.

You guys have been conditioned into thinking these picks have serious value and will help us odds are probably 1/100 that we see any benefit from those "assets"

all they are is a long shot lottery ticket and a pretty bad one at that, High picks and "A" prospects or NO DEAL

30 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Stop stop stop it with the "Yay a conditional 2nd (ooh and maybe a third whoopee!) how about we ask for some used toilet paper and some 10% poutine coupons?Cause they would probably be of greater benefit to our team.

You guys have been conditioned into thinking these picks have serious value and will help us odds are probably 1/100 that we see any benefit from those "assets"

all they are is a long shot lottery ticket and a pretty bad one at that, High picks and "A" prospects or NO DEAL

For a rental Burrows? keep dreaming.

21 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Trade him then bring him back.

This and Miller should suffer the same fate! Its really nice seeing Burr having such a solid season where we can even talk about TDL value. Over the last couple years the Canucks have some really promising prospects coming out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

1 hour ago, terrible.dee said:

Where did I say "Yay a conditional 2nd" ?? I responded saying that would be the absolute most his value would be at trade deadline. 

And 1/100? There are actual stats. 44% chance a 2nd round pick becomes at least a replacement level player (plays 50 games). 

Now the Canucks haven't been burned too bad, but Simmonds, Goligoski, and Enroth were all drafted with Canucks picks in the 2nd round (Sopel, Hedberg, Noronen). The players received played a grand total of 48 games. 1 goal and mediocre backup goaltending. 

Two second round picks in one draft means a 70% chance one of those picks at least plays 50 games in the NHL. 

If a team is able to pick up two extra per deadline during a rebuild, odds are you are going to get some solid prospects with 6 second round picks over 2 years. 

Trading one off draft picks doesn't look like a big deal. But when you stretch it out over a decade chances are you are going to miss out on some really quality players. What did keeping Dan Hamhuis or Radim Vrbata do for us in the end? I'll take the scratch & wins. Plus freeing up a roster spot enables us to get a look at some lesser known commodities. I'd love to see Grenier get called up for 20 meaningless games to see if he can bring anything before he banishes as a career minor leaguer for example. 

23 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

This and Miller should suffer the same fate! Its really nice seeing Burr having such a solid season where we can even talk about TDL value. Over the last couple years the Canucks have some really promising prospects coming out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I agree. Give the old dogs a shot at a cup, and throw a contract his way if he wants for next season. Everybody wins. 

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Burrows brought back would be better option rather than another Chaput, Skille, or Megna.

Since he'll be over 35 we can continue to sign him to 1 year deal with performance bonuses. He'd be a cheap cap hit yet could still get the money he deserves if he can keep up this kind of play.

We can use that cap to bring in some serious muscle to our bottom 6. No offense to Dorsett but we need a guy that can play like him but that's 30+lbs bigger and 3+ inches taller.

If we aren't gonna win games then lets batter and bruise our opponents and destroy whomever tries to mess with our youth.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, missioncanucksfan said:

I would pass if I'm Washington. Ya 1040 was suggesting Hansen to Wash with injury to Burchovski but Caps got depth within plus Connolly and Wilson are providing great depth , but Oshie is a UFA and will walk and Hansen might offset that loss 

Imo, Bowey will equal Hutton level eventually so it would be a lateral move at the expense of losing a pick in Regards to the Burr/Hutton proposal

Burakovsky had 38 points last year at age 20 in the NHL.  One off Hansen's career high. Was on track for more than 50 & heating up this year before getting injured last week. 

I do not believe Washington, intangibles in favour of Jannik be damned, will let that kind of potential go?

Been mentioned before; Madison Bowey.  That's a fair ask IMO!

It is pretty consensus amongst the pundits that Burrows is a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

You might be able to squeeze a little more if you retain half his salary or take on bad money in return.

If we got a late 2nd and a 5th for Burrows without taking on a bad contract (that goes longer than this season).... we should be pretty ecstatic.

We also get to follow that new team and root for them in the playoffs.

6 hours ago, smokes said:

Anything less would be an insult 

To who?   

Burrows is worth a 3rd on a good day.  

With a bit of demand because of the trade deadline, you can maybe bump his value up to a second.   

Asking for a 1st and a prospect is a great way to not get a deal done. 

I've been wondering if all those MTL scouts have been looking at Hansen, not Burr. MTL already has an agitator, they need a guy like Hansen more who can help out in all situations. Maybe Burr is a better fit back with AV and the Rangers?

On 18/02/2017 at 7:58 PM, billabong said:

I've wondered the same. Lindberg had a solid season last year but only 2 goals this season while playing on a deeper team so quality playing time is probably hard to find over there. 

The thing with lindberg is you have to protect him in the exp draft. Wouldn't it suck to lose lindberg and ultimately burrows for nothing. 

Maybe adding a conditional 3rd pick if the Canucks lose lindberg in the draft they get the pick instead  

New york shouldn't owe us anything if lindberg was taken. If we lost lindberg instead of Hansen, Granlund or sbisa I would be ecstatic. Obviously vegas would pick one of them instead. Even if we made more moves (Hansen and a Dman) to protect them gaunce would be a target.

You only lose one player after all. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

It is pretty consensus amongst the pundits that Burrows is a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

You might be able to squeeze a little more if you retain half his salary or take on bad money in return.

If we got a late 2nd and a 5th for Burrows without taking on a bad contract (that goes longer than this season).... we should be pretty ecstatic.

We also get to follow that new team and root for them in the playoffs.

why would you need to retain salary or take on a bad contract for an impending UFA?

34 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I've been wondering if all those MTL scouts have been looking at Hansen, not Burr. MTL already has an agitator, they need a guy like Hansen more who can help out in all situations. Maybe Burr is a better fit back with AV and the Rangers?

Montreal has been heavily scouting all the teams that are, or likely to be, sellers.  I wouldn't read to much into their presence at Canuck games.  Just keeping their options open 

30 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I do agree it is a strong possibility!

Hansen does, and should have more value. He's younger, faster, perhaps more physical but specifically more effective in all forms of pressure defence. Including fore-checking & the penalty kill. A component every team can use. And on a contract where they are excited to keep him, not just dump him.  He's retainable.

But there was, and always has been components to Burr that is underrated. He's absolutely better at handling the puck than most give him credit for. Definitely better than Hansen. He can protect it, and also routinely pulls off nifty plays.  Bringing to the next components. He's also both very creative, and extremely smart. He ties up sticks at exactly the right moments. Was in the right place to do so in the first place. Distracts goalies. Unloads slap shots, and snapshots to test goalies. Or has blind passes.  Slips his man to cut or drive to the net, or be an outlet on the break. And of course he's always in your face.

It is fun to compare, to speculate who it might be?  

9 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

And 1/100? There are actual stats. 44% chance a 2nd round pick becomes at least a replacement level player (plays 50 games). 

Two second round picks in one draft means a 70% chance one of those picks at least plays 50 games in the NHL. 

Thank you, this is my point exactly

A  70% chance that one of two stiffs is able to fill a slot when we need someone with a pulse.

That return isn't worth the time spent on the phone setting it up or getting the paperwork in

This team is in need of foundational players not pilions

Archived