The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Miller is "all in."

cuporbust

As someone who has praised Miller since he came here, I'm glad the fans are now starting to appreciate what a great team man he is. The night he ran from his goal to protect Stecher just summed up the classy guy we have in Miller. In fact we have two class act goalies now imo.

Miller is playing a lot better this year.

His value is high at this time...the highest it has been for awhile. 

Decision about asset management should come into play when considering the returns that Miller may get at the TDL.

It seems the Canucks have a few good goalies in the pipe line that could step in next year if they can get good value in return for Miller.

If not, re sign Miller for a year at lesser money

7 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Decision about asset management should come into play when considering the returns that Miller may get at the TDL.

It seems the Canucks have a few good goalies in the pipe line that could step in next year if they can get good value in return for Miller.

What about extending Miller for two more years, and trading Markstrom to a team like the Blues?

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Totally agree with you that Miller has played great and his trade value will likely never be stronger. IMHO it is all about asset management. Hard to say what his trade value is but if it is a 2nd Rounder or higher then he should be traded. Markstrom needs the TOI and is quite capable of being a #1. Canucks are still years away from a strong CUP challenge.

Your idea of signing Miller for a year at less money is not I suspect likely. IMO his game will get him a multi year (3) term and at $4 - 5 mil.   

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree with you that Miller has played great and his trade value will likely never be stronger. IMHO it is all about asset management. Hard to say what his trade value is but if it is a 2nd Rounder or higher then he should be traded. Markstrom needs the TOI and is quite capable of being a #1. Canucks are still years away from a strong CUP challenge.

Your idea of signing Miller for a year at less money is not I suspect likely. IMO his game will get him a multi year (3) term and at $4 - 5 mil.   

Miller is older than 35 so he can sign a contract which includes performance bonuses - they can make part of his salary performance dependent on number of games played etc.

The risk of signing him for too long is that if his performance drops and they want to buy him out or if he retires before the end of his contract - his full cap hit stays on the books because he is over 35.  It only frees a roster spot.

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Miller is older than 35 so he can sign a contract which includes performance bonuses - they can make part of his salary performance dependent on number of games played etc.

The risk of signing him for too long is that if his performance drops and they want to buy him out or if he retires before the end of his contract - his full cap hit stays on the books because he is over 35.  It only frees a roster spot.

My thought was that there would be teams that would offer him more than 1 year and market value. ie Dallas might sign him as a UFA.

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about extending Miller for two more years, and trading Markstrom to a team like the Blues?

Thats not insane depending on the return. But it would have to be a spectacular return, a Marky-Demko tandem could be here for many years. 

I don't care if he's played well and is a good teamate. He's not part of the future plans (too old) and the only thing we should be looking to do is move him to a contender for assets that are part of the future. 

If we were contenders now I would suggest differently but we are not

12 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Thats not insane depending on the return. But it would have to be a spectacular return, a Marky-Demko tandem could be here for many years. 

I'm thinking then we extend Miller, and can protect him in expansion.  We could sign a back-up over the summer.  The return could be someone like the Dunn kid, who is pretty good, allowing us to move Hutton for a forward prospect?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm thinking then we extend Miller, and can protect him in expansion.  We could sign a back-up over the summer.  The return could be someone like the Dunn kid, who is pretty good.  

But we don't need more smallish D. Marky could potentially take STL into the playoffs and be their future starter, if there isn't a 1st round pick and a F prospect why do it?

16 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

But we don't need more smallish D. Marky could potentially take STL into the playoffs and be their future starter, if there isn't a 1st round pick and a F prospect why do it?

Yes, the first rounder would be key.  I don't know the Stl. forward prospects.  Plus, we are fighting with Stl. for that last playoff spot too, so bad idea by Alf.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, the first rounder would be key.  I don't know the Stl. forward prospects.  Plus, we are fighting with Stl. for that last playoff spot too, so bad idea by Alf.

No good idea by Alf, potentially. Depends on how desperate STL is, could be very good for us. 

Miller has had a good season this year, and has downright stolen a couple games. 

I would not be opposed to give him another year with a performance style contract. Demko will only get better, dont want to rush him in. Markstrom and Miller could further split next seasons duties a near 50/50 split would give us two fairly fresh goalies each night. Give Demko at least 2-3 seasons in the A and I think he might come in and shine. 

Would a team really want Miller as a rental? We could re sign him in the summer too I guess. 

I don't know why people keep bringing up his age. He is playing better than ever. I rate him as good as Lu and Lu arguably had a better D in front of him. Goalies are like fine wines, they get better with age.

I don't want to rush Demko because I think our young D deserves an experienced tandem in front of them for at least the next 2 years

3 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I don't know why people keep bringing up his age. He is playing better than ever. I rate him as good as Lu and Lu arguably had a better D in front of him. Goalies are like fine wines, they get better with age.

I don't want to rush Demko because I think our young D deserves an experienced tandem in front of them for at least the next 2 years

Uhhhhhh......goalies play behind defensemen, alfstonker.

Oh-Stop-You-Laugh-Point-Gif.gif

Love the respect for Millsy, he's been stellar for us this year and downright stolen a few games. I was skeptical when he signed thinking he might be washed up, and last year kinda went to hell with all the injuries we had but he's been steady for us. It's nice having a couple goaltenders you can have in net and not have to worry about too much. Him and Marky have definitely been bright spots for us this season.

I'd be fine with retaining him on a year by year basis or maybe a two year contract max. I'd rather Demko stew in the AHL a while and develop his game further anyway. You don't wanna rush a prospect like him.

I said this before at the time of acquisition that signing Miller saved this club from total disaster.  Lack wasn't the answer and after losing two world class goalies in Luongo and Schneider we would be bottom dwelling the last few years. 

Benning went out and got the best goalie available and saved the club's new core from a losing environment.  Miller gives us a chance to win every time.  Hope we resign him he's done enough for a one or two year deal around 5 million.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Because he isn't wine, thats silly. Human bodies do not recover faster or better with age. Sure he's got the experience, but its a very fine line now with injuries. Year by year I'm ok with extensions but no way should he be signed to a multi year deal. 

Archived