The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shattenkirk turned down Edmonton and Tampa Bay Contracts

HowYaDrouin

4 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

with Miller off the books and Burrows, there's a chance we can sign Shattenkirk. now we are not a contender by no means but he can teach the young defencemen we have in Stecher, Tram, Hutty, Guddy, Sbisa how to play an aggressive type of game walking the blue line. if we re-sign Miller and Burr for cheap, there's a chance we can get this guy. pipedream I know but anything is possible as long as you have cap come free agency

Yeah maybe.  But we certainly cannot afford to trade for him.

5 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

with Miller off the books and Burrows, there's a chance we can sign Shattenkirk. now we are not a contender by no means but he can teach the young defencemen we have in Stecher, Tram, Hutty, Guddy, Sbisa how to play an aggressive type of game walking the blue line. if we re-sign Miller and Burr for cheap, there's a chance we can get this guy. pipedream I know but anything is possible as long as you have cap come free agency

It's not about $ with him. It's about location. He want to play for his home town team although I can't see how the rangers afford him. He also turned down Arizona awsell last summer. 

9 hours ago, theminister said:

Not if they allow it.

But he's being stupid greedy if it is about money. 

If it's about city then I can understand.

Really?

I disagree. Yandle got $6.35 x 7 last year, and Shattenkirk is easily the superior defenseman. Add to that he's nearly 2 years younger than Yandle was when he signed his deal, and becoming a UFA at the exact time that a bunch of teams are losing a top-4 D-man, and a brand new team who will lack quality top-pairing D?

The cap not going out hurts him a bit, but still - he's going to cost AT LEAST $6.5, and probably over $7. So why the hell should he sign for $6 now?

I know we all bash Edmonton.... but with good reason. :) I live in Sherwood Park (where it doesn't stink yet) - yes this is tongue in cheek but yet another reason not to move here if you're Shattenkirk???? :P

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/suburban-sewage-may-be-cause-of-odour-issues-in-three-central-edmonton-neighbourhoods

The ever expanding suburbs of Edmonton are creating complex odour problems in the city’s central neighbourhoods as more raw sewage flows down the pipes to the main treatment facility.

Drainage officials have been dealing with new odour-related issues in Bonnie Doon and Steinhauer, and now think some of the West Jasper Place issues where odours have caused some residents to seek medical treatment are related to the phenomenon as well.

“Call it a bigger city problem, because it is,” said Todd Wyman, director of drainage planning. His senior engineer was brought in from San Francisco, where he dealt with a similar issue. “Los Angeles has a whole department that’s dedicated to sewer odour mitigation. As cities expand, they need to start to take a look at it.”

Residents in West Jasper Place have been struggling with seemingly random episodes of stink for months, since drainage crews opened a 30-metre shaft for emergency repairs on a key trunk line at 99th Avenue and 151st Street.

They temporarily sealed the hole with a concrete cap at the end of August after several residents complained to city council, worried their headaches, nausea, lethargy and other symptoms were related to hydrogen sulphide and other chemicals in the sewer gas.

But there was another episode of strong sewer gas smell last weekend. Now it appears some of the gas might be coming from the manholes and drain pipes, not the construction site.

“We are really concerned. I don’t know how we’re getting this odour coming through, but my voice started going again and I started feeling lethargic,” said Irene Blain, civics director for the local community league. “I’m at my wit’s end. We need monitors throughout the neighbourhood and we also need it in some of the homes.”..... (feel free to click actual article for full details)

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It's not about $ with him. It's about location. He want to play for his home town team although I can't see how the rangers afford him. He also turned down Arizona awsell last summer. 

I'm just happy he rejected the Oilers. 

57 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I know we all bash Edmonton.... but with good reason. :) I live in Sherwood Park (where it doesn't stink yet) - yes this is tongue in cheek but yet another reason not to move here if you're Shattenkirk???? :P

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/suburban-sewage-may-be-cause-of-odour-issues-in-three-central-edmonton-neighbourhoods

The ever expanding suburbs of Edmonton are creating complex odour problems in the city’s central neighbourhoods as more raw sewage flows down the pipes to the main treatment facility.

Drainage officials have been dealing with new odour-related issues in Bonnie Doon and Steinhauer, and now think some of the West Jasper Place issues where odours have caused some residents to seek medical treatment are related to the phenomenon as well.

“Call it a bigger city problem, because it is,” said Todd Wyman, director of drainage planning. His senior engineer was brought in from San Francisco, where he dealt with a similar issue. “Los Angeles has a whole department that’s dedicated to sewer odour mitigation. As cities expand, they need to start to take a look at it.”

Residents in West Jasper Place have been struggling with seemingly random episodes of stink for months, since drainage crews opened a 30-metre shaft for emergency repairs on a key trunk line at 99th Avenue and 151st Street.

They temporarily sealed the hole with a concrete cap at the end of August after several residents complained to city council, worried their headaches, nausea, lethargy and other symptoms were related to hydrogen sulphide and other chemicals in the sewer gas.

But there was another episode of strong sewer gas smell last weekend. Now it appears some of the gas might be coming from the manholes and drain pipes, not the construction site.

“We are really concerned. I don’t know how we’re getting this odour coming through, but my voice started going again and I started feeling lethargic,” said Irene Blain, civics director for the local community league. “I’m at my wit’s end. We need monitors throughout the neighbourhood and we also need it in some of the homes.”..... (feel free to click actual article for full details)

The guy would be super rich, and be able to afford the best condo downtown.  As much as I hate the Coilers, they are building an exceptionally good young team.  If they swapped out Eberle, or RNH, for Shattenkirk, I think they could make the dollars work.

To be fair, he's easily worth more than what he's being offered.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa tried again with a larger contract, they could make it work depending on who they moved. Having Hedman and Shattenkirk on their back end would be pretty dynamic, especially out east.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa tried again with a larger contract, they could make it work depending on who they moved. Having Hedman and Shattenkirk on their back end would be pretty dynamic, especially out east.

The guys is a coming UFA.  Why would any team give up decent value for a rental, when they can just sign the guy in the Summer and keep their assets?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The guys is a coming UFA.  Why would any team give up decent value for a rental, when they can just sign the guy in the Summer and keep their assets?

Tampa ain't a contender this year, but they should be back in the playoff mix next season. As a UFA they could make an offer but there's no guarantee they would get their man so to speak, but if they were to negotiate a contract and trade for him it'd be a sure thing you know?

It absolutely makes sense to wait for a team in Tampa's position, but if a team is really sold on Shatterkirk I wouldn't be surprised to see that sort of move happen as guys with his skill set are difficult to find.

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not so sure about that. They are already at $59.2 million next year, and have to re-sign Drouin, Johnson, Palat, AND work in a decent 2nd goalie.

I think they move Filpulla (or if he doesn't waive, buy him out) to protect someone else. But still, they're going to need to shed one of Drouin, Johnson, or Palat to make it work already. Signing Shattenkirk at ~$7 mil just really doesn't fit.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Not so sure about that. They are already at $59.2 million next year, and have to re-sign Drouin, Johnson, Palat, AND work in a decent 2nd goalie.

I think they move Filpulla (or if he doesn't waive, buy him out) to protect someone else. But still, they're going to need to shed one of Drouin, Johnson, or Palat to make it work already. Signing Shattenkirk at ~$7 mil just really doesn't fit.

Hmm, fair point. I forgot about all those upcoming RFA's.

21 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I think they may buy out Callahan tbh, he really under performed last year and this year he's been an injury mess. Plus he makes more then Filpulla, and has like 2-3 years left, Filpulla only has one more year. If anything they will possibly look at trading Filpulla obviously if he waives, but I don't think they'll buy him out if they can get Callahan's contact off.

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I think they may buy out Callahan tbh, he really under performed last year and this year he's been an injury mess. Plus he makes more then Filpulla, and has like 2-3 years left, Filpulla only has one more year. If anything they will possibly look at trading Filpulla obviously if he waives, but I don't think they'll buy him out if they can get Callahan's contact off.

I was thinking that too, but his injury troubles may make a buyout impossible. So they are likely stuck with him, for now.

Archived