The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Our 2017 1st! (Proposal)

Consider this an exercise in imagination, creativity & lawyerly-justification. Would happen at draft wknd.

Trade our 1st (assuming it's a #2 OA pick), for just one player only(exclude: Crosby, OV, Laine, Matthews, Burns, Toews, Kane, Draisatl, McDavid, Karlsson & Malkin). A couple of these due to age/contract, but mostly unrealistic in any case. For example, I'd guess most all CDC posters would flip our 1st for Drai, but Edm simply wouldn't.

So just 1 player. Consider their cap-hit & our needs.

Please justify why the counterpart GM might go along with it.

If we get a shot at Nico Hischier or Tim Liljegren then heck no.  Scouting reports on both look pretty good, and management said they view the top 3 picks as separate from the rest of the pack.  If we get a shot at the skilled Swiss center then we take him (iffy about Patrick).  Look at how solid the future of the team could suddenly become with a #1 offensive center like him in the fold.  At least by committee there's already a lot to like.

___ - Hischier - Boeser
Sven - Horvat - ______

_____ - Gaudette -  Lockwood?
wild card: Virtanen

Juolevi - ________
Tryamkin - Stecher
McEneny/ Pedan - Subban?

Demko 

Shea Weber.

Of course, that would make the Canucks a Cup contender, especially if they keep Miller.

Now go get some pure scoring talent, regardless of their defensive finesse and splatter it all over the Burrows and Hansen vacancies. Bring up Boeser when the Canucks are in the playoffs after his brief AHL stint that might happen this year.

All kidding aside...

Imagine that:

STETCHER - WEBER

HUTTON - GUDBRANSON

TRYAMKIN - JUOLEVI

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

How many times does JB have to reiterate - he's building through the draft - keep all picks and acquire as many more as we can! 

Absolutely everyone knows that. The questions is simple: who is a player of equal value to Vancouver's 1st rounder (middle to low) that could contribute to the team considering position and cost?

Why don't people understand that the OP isn't making an honest to God proposal. People take this too seriously.

Anyways, my pick would be Sam Reinhart. Getting him would give us a nice 1-2 punch with him and Horvat duking it out for the no 1 center position, and since Buffalo has Eichel as a lock for the no 1 center position going forward, they might (though probably not) consider moving Reinhart and taking Liljegren with the pick to better fill out the rest of their roster going forward.

I dunno.

Something involving Drouin, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Domi or Keller would be fine by me.

I'm pretty torn on Patrick, Hischier and Liljegren though. I've been pretty high on Liljegren for most of the year until recently. I'm not sure if he can be a #1, but if he becomes a offensive #2 then that is still a very good player. Patrick and Hischier both look like they could be low-end 1Cs or mid-level 2Cs. I think Patrick fits our style of play better, but his injury history scares me. Hischier could take a while to get settled in the league and probably and just seems generally more risky.

Going back to the trade, I would love to get Keller out of Arizona. Maybe a bigger trade could work and we land Domi AND Keller:

To ARI:

1st Overall Pick 2017

Tanev

2nd 2017

To VAN:

Keller

Domi

I know it's unrealistic, but I absolutely love Keller. He is a dynamic and electric player. The Kane comparison is used a lot for smaller forwards that put up points, but Keller truly has an offensive game similar to Kane as a center. He could play behind Horvat here and feast on the lower matchup:

Domi - Horvat - ______

Baertschi - Keller - Boeser

Granlund - Gaudette - Virtanen

______ - Gaunce - Lockwood

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Stetcher

Hutton - Brisebois

My pick would be to the Islanders with Hutton for their 1st this year Barzal and their 1st next year.  That team is going to SUCK so hard next year it's a top 10 bet.

So out of nowhere our 2nd overall as you stated becomes

Barzal 

2017 1st round pick

2018 top 10 pick

As well as our 2017 top 10 pick (don't kid yourselves guys...it's gonna be top 10)

That's a blue chip forward, a mid round pick this year and 2 lottery shots next year and boom our cupboards are stocked by the 2019 draft

All you have to do is calculate the odds of the other team being able to replace the player you're taking, with the pick you're offering.  Simple as that.

If it's Reinhart, Panarin, Barzal, whoever, etc..., then the other team better believe they can get a similar player in the draft.  Otherwise, why get rid of the player in the first place?

19 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Something involving Drouin, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Domi or Keller would be fine by me.

I'm pretty torn on Patrick, Hischier and Liljegren though. I've been pretty high on Liljegren for most of the year until recently. I'm not sure if he can be a #1, but if he becomes a offensive #2 then that is still a very good player. Patrick and Hischier both look like they could be low-end 1Cs or mid-level 2Cs. I think Patrick fits our style of play better, but his injury history scares me. Hischier could take a while to get settled in the league and probably and just seems generally more risky.

Going back to the trade, I would love to get Keller out of Arizona. Maybe a bigger trade could work and we land Domi AND Keller:

To ARI:

1st Overall Pick 2017

Tanev

2nd 2017

To VAN:

Keller

Domi

I know it's unrealistic, but I absolutely love Keller. He is a dynamic and electric player. The Kane comparison is used a lot for smaller forwards that put up points, but Keller truly has an offensive game similar to Kane as a center. He could play behind Horvat here and feast on the lower matchup:

Domi - Horvat - ______

Baertschi - Keller - Boeser

Granlund - Gaudette - Virtanen

______ - Gaunce - Lockwood

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Stetcher

Hutton - Brisebois

Giving up too much there, Tanev should get us either one of those guys and a 1st should get us the other, no need to throw a 2nd in or did you do that because Benning likes to throw his 2nds around?

32 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Giving up too much there, Tanev should get us either one of those guys and a 1st should get us the other, no need to throw a 2nd in or did you do that because Benning likes to throw his 2nds around?

I guess the 2nd was mainly because Arizona really has no incentive to give up Keller. A deal involving Tanev and Keller would likely involve us adding a little. Then our 1st for Domi as well.  

42 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I guess the 2nd was mainly because Arizona really has no incentive to give up Keller. A deal involving Tanev and Keller would likely involve us adding a little. Then our 1st for Domi as well.  

I don't know about that I think Tanev is worth a 1st and A prospect, the only way that 1st changes to a 2nd is if the player is a franchise type player   Ok just had a look at Keller and if he was 6ft+ and 200lbs + then I would agree with you but I stand with what I think Tanev is worth

56 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I don't know about that I think Tanev is worth a 1st and A prospect, the only way that 1st changes to a 2nd is if the player is a franchise type player   Ok just had a look at Keller and if he was 6ft+ and 200lbs + then I would agree with you but I stand with what I think Tanev is worth

It also has to do with that fact that Arizona loses their current face of the franchise (Domi) and their future one (Keller). While Tanev is a great player, he doesn't put butts in seats the same way a scoring forwards does. 

This trade is very unrealistic anyways so it doesn't really matter. 

Archived