The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

On 11/11/2018 at 12:34 PM, 73 Percent said:

How many of those assist are a result of EP making a ridiculous play?

Not sure but these stats I can tell you about Goldobin: His 1st and only goal so far came from a PA (primary assist) by Pettersson. Goldy has 1 PA and 3 SA (secondary assist) on Petey's goals. Petey and Goldy both had assists for Granny's goal vs COL, Nov 2 and also Virt's goal vs BOS, Nov 8th. They seem to work well together so why all the negativity about Goldy? If he is still not finding the net by mid Dec I would maybe change my mind about him but right now I think he just needs confidence to rediscover his scoring touch.

12 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not sure but these stats I can tell you about Goldobin: His 1st and only goal so far came from a PA (primary assist) by Pettersson. Goldy has 1 PA and 3 SA (secondary assist) on Petey's goals. Petey and Goldy both had assists for Granny's goal vs COL, Nov 2 and also Virt's goal vs BOS, Nov 8th. They seem to work well together so why all the negativity about Goldy? If he is still not finding the net by mid Dec I would maybe change my mind about him but right now I think he just needs confidence to rediscover his scoring touch.

I thought the first 5 games he looked good. I was actually impressed. He's been slowly going downhill since imo. It seems more and more he's trying to make passes that just aren't there leading to odd man rushes the wrong direction. When he gets a pass to a player it's not on the tape and the player has to work for control (if he even can). Goldy has talent, you can see that. It just seems rather inconsistent. I often find him frustrating to watch. Good play, bonehead play. Good play, bonehead play. Rinse, repeat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

I thought the first 5 games he looked good. I was actually impressed. He's been slowly going downhill since imo. It seems more and more he's trying to make passes that just aren't there leading to odd man rushes the wrong direction. When he gets a pass to a player it's not on the tape and the player has to work for control (if he even can). Goldy has talent, you can see that. It just seems rather inconsistent. I often find him frustrating to watch. Good play, bonehead play. Good play, bonehead play. Rinse, repeat.

Agreed. Greener has been working with Goldy quite a bit too, the same as he has done for Virtanen. Once Goldy and Greener get things figured out, I think Goldy will be fine, the same as Virtanen. Green sure is good with the young guys, no doubt about it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

Agreed. Greener has been working with Goldy quite a bit too, the same as he has done for Virtanen. Once Goldy and Greener get things figured out, I think Goldy will be fine, the same as Virtanen. Green sure is good with the young guys, no doubt about it.

Is 'fine' enough to hold onto a job? Goldy is 23, waiver eligible, and has 80 NHL games under his belt. Green, and Willie for that matter, both worked on Goldobin's game away from the puck. He's certainly made strides in that department. The problem I'm seeing now is his play with the puck. I'm not sure if it's a lack of vision, or awareness, or simply that he's overconfident in his actual ability. But he's making some absolutely terrible passes and plays lately. I'm not so sure you can coach poor vision or awareness out of a players game. You either have it or you don't.

Honestly I'd take Baertschi (if he were healthy) on that line over Goldy right now. He's as much a liability with the puck as he is a threat lately. This is something of a make or break season for him here and he needs to be better.

5 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Is 'fine' enough to hold onto a job? Goldy is 23, waiver eligible, and has 80 NHL games under his belt. Green, and Willie for that matter, both worked on Goldobin's game away from the puck. He's certainly made strides in that department. The problem I'm seeing now is his play with the puck. I'm not sure if it's a lack of vision, or awareness, or simply that he's overconfident in his actual ability. But he's making some absolutely terrible passes and plays lately. I'm not so sure you can coach poor vision or awareness out of a players game. You either have it or you don't.

Honestly I'd take Baertschi (if he were healthy) on that line over Goldy right now. He's as much a liability with the puck as he is a threat lately. This is something of a make or break season for him here and he needs to be better.

Well said. Keep waiting for Goldobin to take that 'next step'. It seems to be so, so close, but is just not happening. Has me squirming uncomfortably from the couch. This time with Pettersson ( and no Baertschi ) has to have more positive results than negative. We seem to be around 50/ 50 at the moment.

On 11/13/2018 at 6:26 AM, Baggins said:

How much TOI to you give Goldy to 'get it'. His talent is obvious and his game is improving even with the setbacks. He has high end offensive talent. I would like to see him get at least 40 games.

I kinda smile at the Gretzky comparisons for EP40 and then we hear Gretzky chirping the same. My hope is that Benning reads the Sather guide to superior GM'ing and learns how to monetize the players that EP40 plays with. I will never forget how they pumped up BJ MacDonald on Gretzky's wing and then flipped him to the Canucks as a high price. If Goldy or others cannot stay in the Canuck future then pump their numbers and trade them out. EP40 looks like a hell of a conduit.   

On 2018-11-16 at 7:36 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Igor Larionov (Goldobin’s agent) on Nikolay Goldobin:

“I talk to him almost everyday, sometimes twice a day about how to play with Pettersson and his role on the team. He is getting there but the the bounces are not going his way yet but his blade is way too small so he has to change that. Most likely he is going to change his stick, I told him 2 weeks ago, change your stick, the blade is too small for me. Lots of pucks bounce of his stick, the effort is there but you have to be more consistent. The effort is there even when he is making mistakes. He is still young but he needs to be more consistent so he can play a bigger role.”

“For every forward there is pressure but, he puts more on himself. He needs to play the game and have fun because the points and goals will come. Goldy puts a lot of pressure on himself. Play the game and fun and not worry about mistakes, the points will come especially the goals. He is getting into the situations to score, he can finish.”

“My last season in Vancouver and media was all over me, I had no points in October. Pat Quinn put me with Geoff Courtnall and Trevor Linden and I was player of the month in November. Sometimes, that is all it takes. You have to believe in yourself and go extra mile that's what I tell Goldy." 

The part about the stick is interesting,because he seems to have trouble receiving passes. But the stick isn’t doing the thinking, too many bad decisions with the puck. And he is already playing with the Canucks best offensive player.

On 11/16/2018 at 7:36 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Igor Larionov (Goldobin’s agent) on Nikolay Goldobin:

“I talk to him almost everyday, sometimes twice a day about how to play with Pettersson and his role on the team. He is getting there but the the bounces are not going his way yet but his blade is way too small so he has to change that. Most likely he is going to change his stick, I told him 2 weeks ago, change your stick, the blade is too small for me. Lots of pucks bounce of his stick, the effort is there but you have to be more consistent. The effort is there even when he is making mistakes. He is still young but he needs to be more consistent so he can play a bigger role.”

“For every forward there is pressure but, he puts more on himself. He needs to play the game and have fun because the points and goals will come. Goldy puts a lot of pressure on himself. Play the game and fun and not worry about mistakes, the points will come especially the goals. He is getting into the situations to score, he can finish.”

“My last season in Vancouver and media was all over me, I had no points in October. Pat Quinn put me with Geoff Courtnall and Trevor Linden and I was player of the month in November. Sometimes, that is all it takes. You have to believe in yourself and go extra mile that's what I tell Goldy." 

..and you need to have some sunshine in your soul

58 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Hate to say I called it, but I freakin’ called it!

And what a beauty it was!!!! Putting his name in the cup for goal of the year(although petty is going to win lol)

If this guy gains some consistency and plays like this every night then we will have a very skilled good top 6 player on our hands!

• Upvote 1