The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

7 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I just hope that coach Green keeps this line intact; at least as long as it is getting chances and producing. Lots of posts on here wanting Elias and Brock together on a line and I am not a fan of that idea. As I have mentioned before on here about having Eriksson on this line with his experience and defensive smarts; it allows both Nikolay and Elias to be a bit more creative knowing that Loui is minding the defensive side of things.

Not to mention that having EP and Brock on the same line would make it much easier for the other teams to match with their best defensive players. Right now we have a 1A and a 1B line. As soon as opposing coaches start putting their best defenders against EP's line, the BBB line is likely to start producing. And vice versa.

• Upvote 2

It's nice to see Goldobin in a good light around here. We've had such bad luck with Russians since Bure that I think it makes people perhaps a little on edge with someone like Goldobin, who clearly wants to be here. I hope this continues. :)

• Upvote 3

Thought Goldy had his best and most complete game tonight in Pittsburgh.  Was a factor in all 3 zones, making small, but extremely smart players to get the puck onto the stick of an open man, and man his compete level has been great.

Seems to have really figured it out. Despite not scoring or getting points, he constantly looks dangerous.  Only a matter of time before he starts lighting it up consistently.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Thought Goldy had his best and most complete game tonight in Pittsburgh.  Was a factor in all 3 zones, making small, but extremely smart players to get the puck onto the stick of an open man, and man his compete level has been great.

Seems to have really figured it out. Despite not scoring or getting points, he constantly looks dangerous.  Only a matter of time before he starts lighting it up consistently.

Goldy has a 'golden' B) opportunity playing with EP40. His play on the d-side of the puck is improving for sure.

12 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm more than happy to see the previous concerns about his play, largely quelled :) He's made good strides, now he just needs to keep it up consistently while continuing to get better.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Agreed, I remember hearing him and his agent talking about him scoring 25 goals this year, looks like that is a doable target. 

• Upvote 1

Goldobin is continuing to progress with his game and it is impressive.  To think that what we see now, and with more improvement to naturally follow, has me excited for him and the Canucks.

I think we can say that about 90% of our youth actually.. I beleive there are other Levels to Bo, Brock, “Deke”, and many others..

This season is one for excitement for us fans, not only are we watching the Home Team bud, blossom and produce..  our Farm team is organized well and has some strong looking horses in the stable.

Bushels of great hockey this year, win or lose.. there’s a bigger brighter future for hockey in Vancouver for the next decade.

• Upvote 2

I really think EP's hustle and determination on the back check has rubbed off on Goldy. When he loses the puck or there's a quick transition the other way you can see how hard he works to get back and try to disrupt the play, something that was severely lacking before.

Glad to see this kid figuring it out

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

A good read in CA this morning by Darryl Keeping; https://canucksarmy.com/2018/10/22/the-price-of-gold/

I don't normally read canucks army past checking Biech's twitter account regularly, but this was an excellent read for sure. Goldy is creating like a mad man; there are many video snippets in that article of good plays he's made in the last 3-4 games. Worth checking out.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Wonder once Pettersson comes back whether Goldy lines up with him again or TG chooses to keep Goldy with Bo and Brock.

Goldy seems to have good enough hands and smarts to get the puck onto the stick of those on his line.  Bo and Brock really struggle when they don't have a proper playmaking winger to play with. 

I think Goldobin is a skilled player, no doubt about that. But I don't believe he's good enough to play with Pettersson. Unfortunately, he's all they've got at this time. Pettersson can do everything out there, including setting up his line mates for chances, hopefully goals. Goldobin has 1 goal this year, in 14 games. He's not capitalizing on his chances. Maybe Goldobin will progress in his development over time? But he still makes bad, costly mistakes every game it seems, and doesn't always backcheck. Sometimes he tries to do too much. I'm reserving praise on Goldobin until he can turn Pettersson's gifts into goals. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Goldobin is a skilled player, no doubt about that. But I don't believe he's good enough to play with Pettersson. Unfortunately, he's all they've got at this time. Pettersson can do everything out there, including setting up his line mates for chances, hopefully goals. Goldobin has 1 goal this year, in 14 games. He's not capitalizing on his chances. Maybe Goldobin will progress in his development over time? But he still makes bad, costly mistakes every game it seems, and doesn't always backcheck. Sometimes he tries to do too much. I'm reserving praise on Goldobin until he can turn Pettersson's gifts into goals. 

He needs to learn to get to the soft spots and just rip them when he gets the chance, he likes to control the puck to much

22 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

The whole team wasn't really scoring without Petterson.

It's clear that Goldobin can't do everything himself. That being said, he has underrated playmaking skills.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

He needs to learn to get to the soft spots and just rip them when he gets the chance, he likes to control the puck to much

I noticed a few times last game he would take the puck, and then sort of blind drop pass it, to no one. I guess he expected his team mate to be in position to get the puck, but no one was there. Puck was turned over a few times. I think Goldobin tries to do too much or be a little too fancy with his playmaking. He needs to keep it simple and just get into position to receive Pettersson's exceptional passes. And always be ready to backcheck - instead of solely focusing on scoring a pretty goal.