The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The whole team wasn't really scoring without Petterson.

It's clear that Goldobin can't do everything himself. That being said, he has underrated playmaking skills.

Plus, he's one of our top minute forwards, isn't he?  For TG to play Goldy this much (while Goldy is not scoring) means Goldy is playing extremely well off the puck.  That's an awesome sign!  Goldy is turning into an excellent 200 foot player, who Green feels he can win games with.  The scoring will come. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Plus, he's one of our top minute forwards, isn't he?  For TG to play Goldy this much (while Goldy is not scoring) means Goldy is playing extremely well off the puck.  That's an awesome sign!  Goldy is turning into an excellent 200 foot player, who Green feels he can win games with.  The scoring will come. 

+++ His 200' game is much stronger. A bit snake bit around the net but they have to start going in for him. What strikes me about Goldy's game is his vision on the ice. He is 2nd only to EP40 IMHO. He dishes passes almost as good as EP. The club is playing well enough that it takes pressure off Goldy and lets him get his game experience. Fans should leave him alone until January and then have a review.  He is still quite young and has to play top 6. I am happy to watch his development.  

• Upvote 3

The Canucks have a lot of injuries. Green doesn't have many other top 6 players to choose from to fill the lineup, so Goldobin is getting a lot of opportunity.

Is Lepsic in the doghouse?

Goldobin would probably not be a regular on a good team. But he's one of the better options the Canucks have right now. He's also shown some flashes of chemistry with Pettersson, and we would all love to see that work out. Here's hoping Goldobin seizes this opportunity!

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I noticed a few times last game he would take the puck, and then sort of blind drop pass it, to no one. I guess he expected his team mate to be in position to get the puck, but no one was there. Puck was turned over a few times. I think Goldobin tries to do too much or be a little too fancy with his playmaking. He needs to keep it simple and just get into position to receive Pettersson's exceptional passes. And always be ready to backcheck - instead of solely focusing on scoring a pretty goal.

Agreed. Goldy needs to start getting some points and avoid giving the puck away so much as I could see his leash getting shorter in the coming weeks if he doesn't get it together. Just my opinion.

17 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Agreed. Goldy needs to start getting some points and avoid giving the puck away so much as I could see his leash getting shorter in the coming weeks if he doesn't get it together. Just my opinion.

Green dropped him down and brought Ericksson up the line up last night. Goldy made a nice back check into the d-zone which probably does not happen last year. Still got PP time. We can watch and have a discussion in January. Still like this kid's potential.  

3 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Kid better start filling the net or he may be on the outside looking in next year. 1 goal in 16 games paying top six minutes is not gonna get himself the payday he thinks he deserves. Being an RFA with a brutal year statistically will not help his cause whatsoever. 

I think, overall, Goldy is playing well.  Green is playing Goldy a lot of minutes, so he must trust him defensively.  Goldy's goals will come. 

What does Pettersson have to do to get Goldobin a goal? He should have 5 goals by now, at least. I'm not convinced Goldobin is a long term player in VAN. Dahlen will be here next year, and will play on Pettersson's line. What happens to Goldy then? Playing on Horvat's line? Would that mean they're going to trade Baertschi? Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I hope Goldobin starts racking up the points, got to raise his value.  

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What does Pettersson have to do to get Goldobin a goal? He should have 5 goals by now, at least. I'm not convinced Goldobin is a long term player in VAN. Dahlen will be here next year, and will play on Pettersson's line. What happens to Goldy then? Playing on Horvat's line? Would that mean they're going to trade Baertschi? Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I hope Goldobin starts racking up the points, got to raise his value.  

What makes you think dahlen will be a top 6 in the nhl next year? Hes been a healthy scratch multiple times in Utica...

8 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

In the same boat as Baertschi to me. Middle six tweener putting up numbers because they're riding shotgun to a workhorse. 

Baer has scored in NHL at a decent rate actually.   I would be interesting to see what he could do with EP40 as Baer has a deceptively accurate shot and is pretty good on close-in opportunities.   60 goals in just over equivalent of three full seasons at NHL level isn't bad in today's NHL.    

• Upvote 2

I think Baer is a bit unlucky in that he's had some bad injuries over the last season+. I watched him play in the 10 games he's had this year and I've noticed he's hesitant to be physical, avoids contact. And then, low and behold, he gets a bad concussion. I don't think he's durable enough, especially when playoffs becomes a thing. He can still up some points, but he needs to stay healthy.

40 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

What makes you think dahlen will be a top 6 in the nhl next year? Hes been a healthy scratch multiple times in Utica...

JD has played 11 of 12 games in Utica.  He has only sat 1 game. :)

• Like 1

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/nikolay-goldobin-has-been-an-excellent-linemate-for-elias-pettersson-1.23490623

I liked this article on Goldobin.  I was agreeing with most of you guys that Green should switch those two up, but this article made me kind of change my mind.  Sure he's missed some shots, but he's also been getting unlucky that his shots and passes aren't finding the back of the net.

7 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/nikolay-goldobin-has-been-an-excellent-linemate-for-elias-pettersson-1.23490623

I liked this article on Goldobin.  I was agreeing with most of you guys that Green should switch those two up, but this article made me kind of change my mind.  Sure he's missed some shots, but he's also been getting unlucky that his shots and passes aren't finding the back of the net.

He just needs some glasses.   Remember what it did for Wild Thing.

web1_web_vaughan_1021_7252333.jpg

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Ah. I thought he was scratched more. Still a stretch to assume he's going to slot in our top line in less than a year. 

Time will tell but I watched the Utica game yesterday and he had a good game and set up a goal last night that was quite amazing.  He is an excellent passer and I believe the goals will come.  I could see him possibly being ready by next year.  He even was involved in a scrum and didn't shy away at all.

Problem with Goldobin is he probably has one of the worst shots on the team, at least amongst forwards.  He needs his linemates, Boeser and EP40, to teach him how to shoot.  Aside from that he is clearly one of the better offensive playmakers on the team.  If he had a 2 or 3 more goals no one would question his production or his role in the top 6.  Not sure if it is realistic for him to improve his shot but if he could that would help him secure his NHL spot going forward. 

Don’t know why people think he is talented offensively, he can’t pass, or shoot, isn’t strong on the boards doesn’t hit coughs up the puck regularly. How long are the Canucks going to with his poor play. He is playing with the best the Canucks have.When Boesser, Beagle, Baertchi come back he should go either to the press box or on waivers. The Canucks don’t need players like Goldobin, Pouliot or Leipsic. They bring nothing to the team except bad play

• Wat 4

3 hours ago, Archie the grim said:

Don’t know why people think he is talented offensively, he can’t pass, or shoot, isn’t strong on the boards doesn’t hit coughs up the puck regularly. How long are the Canucks going to with his poor play. He is playing with the best the Canucks have.When Boesser, Beagle, Baertchi come back he should go either to the press box or on waivers. The Canucks don’t need players like Goldobin, Pouliot or Leipsic. They bring nothing to the team except bad play

He has stellar hands. It's not hard to see that he moves the puck very quickly with dekes. I think he overthinks things too often though and makes it far more complicated than necessary. The difference between him and Pettersson is that EP knows what's going on while he's playing and Goldy just seems to be on auto-pilot "deke-like-crazy" mode.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1