The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we fire WD and hire Ken Hitchcock to finish the season?

Hortankin

Should we?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Should we fire WD and hire KH right now

• Yes
    • No I want WD extended
    • Rather wait until the Offseason and explore options then

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Hometown guy that expressed interest in coaching here. Personally I want Crawford but I deffiently wouldn't mind this!

When did he express interest in coaching us?

18 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Hometown guy that expressed interest in coaching here. Personally I want Crawford but I deffiently wouldn't mind this!

Hitch is a hometown guy?

I like the experience - he does have a ring.... 14 playoff appearances... Jack Adams.... sure, why not?

20 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

I would wait to see who could be signed in the off season and crawford had his chance here time to never look back

There would be no players left if Hitch coached this team with his grind it out style.  While effective during the regular season, the style of play he implements is painfully boring.  If you thought WD played his favourites overly much, watch Hitch.  Also, this team as constructed doesn't have the D-corps necessary to lock it down.  

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's like a nightmare his name even gets brought up

say goodbye to any youth movement. say goodbye to any form of creative freedom. and say hello to the most strict defensive system you've ever seen in your life. 

NO! NO! NO!

The next coach we hire needs to be here long term. Hitch was going to retire at the end of the year anyway, so let sleeping dogs lie. ffs....

NO ! 

I'm down with at least letting him finish his current contract, which runs to the end of the 2017-18 season. At that point, a re-evaluation would be a good idea and we can see if he's still the right guy for us.

1 minute ago, ajhockey said:

I'm down with at least letting him finish his current contract, which runs to the end of the 2017-18 season. At that point, a re-evaluation would be a good idea and we can see if he's still the right guy for us.

Rarely does a coach head into a season as a lame duck coach in the last year of his deal. That decision will likely be made this summer and he will be extended or let go.

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

What point is there to firing your coach with 11 games left? Rather pointless.

I do have to ask though - when did Hitchcock express interest in coaching the Canucks?

based on the fact that the OP made the thread and just ghosted I think he just made it up 

Fire Willy if you want but why rush into hiring a coach for 10 or so games?

also for Hitchcock he's born in Edmonton but spent a lot of time coaching in the whl for the kamloops blazers. I believe he said at one point that he wanted to coach the Canucks or maybe he just said he wanted to coach a western Canadian team. Heard something like that on the radio but pretty sure it was an old report not necessarily his current ambitions.

Anywho would rather not hire ken not sure how long he would want to coach for and also not sure if he's a good fit for a young team

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Hitch is a hometown guy?

I like the experience - he does have a ring.... 14 playoff appearances... Jack Adams.... sure, why not?

He was born in Edmonton....that's a suburb of Vancouver isn't it?

Although last I heard he was retiring from coaching.

5 minutes ago, Baggins said:

What point is there to firing your coach with 11 games left? Rather pointless.

I do have to ask though - when did Hitchcock express interest in coaching the Canucks?

A month ago, Tony Gallagher did a piece claiming to have spoken to Hitch and that Hitch apparently would be interested in being a head coach in western Canada.  Gallagher claims to know Hitch would be interested in the Nucks position, if available.

Archived