The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gun shots outside UK parliament

Bizarre

UK Parliament shooting: 1 attacker killed, several injured

Update from the incident surrounding Parliament

Reports clarifying the incident say that one attacker was shot after attacking a policeman on Parliament grounds.

The attacker is supposed to have driven on the pavement across Westminster bridge injuring several people before crashing into a gated section of Parliament. After attacking a policeman with a knife he was subsequently shot.

Westminster tube station is shut and Parliament is on lockdown. Theresa May has been ushered out.

Fortunately there's a hospital on the other side of the bridge opposite Parliament so the injured are being attended to quickly.

http://news.forexlive.com/!/uk-parliament-shooting-1-attacker-killed-several-injured-20170322

Reports suggest that 12 people have been injured with one woman and another victim confirmed dead after the horrific attack.

:(

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39355940

A woman has died on Westminster Bridge in central London in what police are treating as a terrorist incident.

A police officer was also stabbed in the nearby Houses of Parliament by an attacker, who was shot by police.

The attacker struck several pedestrians as he drove a car across the bridge, before crashing it into railings.

A doctor at St Thomas' Hospital said a number of other people were hurt - some with "catastrophic" injuries.

Junior doctor Colleen Anderson from St Thomas' said she also treated a police officer in his 30s with a head injury, who had been taken to King's College Hospital.

She said the woman had died at the scene.

"There were people across the bridge. There were some with minor injuries, some catastrophic," she added.

"Some had injuries they could walk away from or who have life-changing injuries. There were maybe a dozen [injured]."

Media captionSteve Voake, eyewitness: "I tried to stop people coming on to the bridge"

MPs said they had heard three or four gunshots and staff inside Parliament were told to stay inside their offices.

Commons Leader David Lidington told MPs the "alleged assailant was shot by armed police".

A Downing Street source said Prime Minister Theresa May was safe.

The prime minister was seen being ushered into a silver Jaguar car as what sounded like gunfire rang out at Parliament during the incident.

Tom Peck, political editor for the Independent, tweeted: "There was a loud bang. Screams. Commotion. Then the sound of gunshots. Armed police everywhere."

Press Association political editor Andrew Woodcock witnessed the scenes unfolding from his office window overlooking New Palace Yard.

"I heard shouts and screams from outside and looked out, and there was a group of maybe 40 or 50 people running round the corner from Bridge Street into Parliament Square.

"They appeared to be running away from something.

Map

"As the group arrived at the Carriage Gates, where policemen are posted at the security entrance, a man suddenly ran out of the crowd and into the yard.

"He seemed to be holding up a long kitchen knife.

"I heard what sounded like shots - I think about three of them - and then the next thing I knew there were two people lying on the ground and others running to help them.

"Armed police were quickly on the scene and I heard them shouting to people to get out of the yard."

'Mowed down'

In eye witness, Radoslaw Sikorski, a senior fellow at Harvard's Centre for European Studies, posted a video to Twitter showing people lying injured in the road on Westminster Bridge.

Scene in ParliamentImage copyrightALISON BASKERVILLE Image captionParliament went into lockdown after the attack Police on Westminster BridgeImage copyrightAP ParliamentImage copyrightAP

He wrote: "A car on Westminster Bridge has just mowed down at least 5 people."

Scotland Yard said it was called to a firearms incident on Westminster Bridge amid reports of several people injured.

Transport for London said Westminster underground station has been shut at the police's request, and buses diverted.

Media captionAerial views of Houses of Parliament

Mr Lidington said: "It seems that a police officer has been stabbed, that the alleged assailant was shot by armed police.

"An air ambulance is currently attending the scene to remove the casualties.

"There are also reports of further violent incidents in the vicinity of the Palace of Westminster but I hope colleagues on all sides will appreciate that it'd be wrong of me to go into further details until we have confirmation from the police and from the House security authorities about what is going on."

UK confirms four dead in terror attack including police officer and attacker

Official statement from top anti-terrorism officer

The official said at least 20 people have been injured and they believe only one person was responsible for the attack.

http://news.forexlive.com/!/uk-confirms-four-dead-in-terror-attack-including-police-officer-and-attacker-20170322

From what I have read the attacker drove over 20 people on the Westminster Bridge, crashed into the fence outside of Big Ben, stabbed a cop and was shot shortly after. I am just thankful he wasn't armed with an automatic weapon. Could have been worse.

You can't stop people from doing crazy things but you can limit their access to weapons that make tragic instances, such as this, less devastating.

I hope all the survivors recover fully.

19 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

From what I have read the attacker drove over 20 people on the Westminster Bridge, crashed into the fence outside of Big Ben, stabbed a cop and was shot shortly after. I am just thankful he wasn't armed with an automatic weapon. Could have been worse.

You can't stop people from doing crazy things but you can limit their access to weapons that make tragic instances, such as this, less devastating.

I hope all the survivors recover fully.

Thing is, even a vehicle becomes "a weapon", and that is evident here.

People on a mission like this are often driven by irrational thoughts and ideas and it's impossible to limit their access to:  cars, knives, etc.  Good that he didn't have a firearm, but to put the focus there overlooks what he did have, which is likely mental illness or something driving his behaviour that is the real root of the problem.  The weapon of choice will vary with whatever is available at the time.

5 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

How can they say it is a terrorist attack if they do not know motive?

What are the motives behind terrorist attacks in the recent past?

not saying this is one but I don't thank your statement is a strong counter to the label.

There's photos out that the individual is definitely not white.... unless he's really really tanned. 

I wonder why Saqid Khan even bothered making any statements... I mean, he's the mayor that said terrorist attacks are "part and parcel" of living in a big city. 

58 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It was sad to see the paramedics try to resuscitate the terrorist. 

Paramedics, doctors, nurses, don't judge, they are just to save lives, that's their job description.

When I was in Emergency (Basically the hallway) of VGH, two stretchers behind me the patient and his brother started punching each other. Security and the staff broke them up. They are there to patch you up. It's up to the police, judges, juries, to dish out punishment.

If anything it shows the Paramedics are far better people than psychos who go on violent rampages.

Archived