The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Dmitry Zhukenov bolting to KHL

http://rsport.ru/hockey/20170329/1118285573.html

MOSCOW, March 29 - R-Sport. Omsk hockey club " Avangard " is planning to return to the pupils of the local school Dmitry Sokolov in the next season, Dmitry Zhukenova, Maxim Mizyurina and Kirill Semenov , said the agency "F-Sport", a source close to the Siberian club.

Forwards Sokolov, Zhukenov and Mizyurin this season held in the junior leagues of North America. In an active Sokolova 72 points (48 + 24 washers transmission) for "Sudbury" 64 matches the regular season Ontario Hockey League (OHL). Zhukenov and Mizyurin act league Quebec (QMJHL) respectively for "Chicoutimi" (65 points in 64 matches) and "Val d'Or" (42 to 58). Semenov with the season-2015/16 acts as a part of Novokuznetsk " Metallurg ". This season in the CHL regular season, he played 60 matches and scored them 27 points (13 + 14).

Could be a good thing, if true. We've got plenty of time left on his rights (2019), and maybe he develops better over there?

KHL would be a better measuring stick than a CHL overage year. And he's not at the point (yet) where we need to be in any rush inking an ELC (and contract slot) on him.

If he matures, adds strength, and puts up points in what's ostensibly the world's #2 professional league, then we can look at signing him and bringing him back into the fold (before his rights expire).

If he doesn't, then probably he wasn't meant for the NHL, and we save the bother of a contract slot and ELC on a player that didn't pan out.

And "bolting" to the KHL doesn't seem to mean as much anymore. Lots of these guys are willing to come back. Especially the ones who have legitimate shots at becoming good NHL players (and that's pretty uncertain re: Zhukenov). But a couple KHL seasons would provide a fairly decent indicator on what kind of pro potential this kid has.

So if the rumour's true, I'd just roll with it and see what happens. Keep in touch with the player and follow his progress. And be ready to offer him an NHL deal if and when he shows he deserves one.

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Could be a good thing, if true. We've got plenty of time left on his rights (2019), and maybe he develops better over there?

KHL would be a better measuring stick than a CHL overage year. And he's not at the point (yet) where we need to be in any rush inking an ELC (and contract slot) on him.

If he matures, adds strength, and puts up points in what's ostensibly the world's #2 professional league, then we can look at signing him and bringing him back into the fold (before his rights expire).

If he doesn't, then probably he wasn't meant for the NHL, and we save the bother of a contract slot and ELC on a player that didn't pan out.

And "bolting" to the KHL doesn't seem to mean as much anymore. Lots of these guys are willing to come back. Especially the ones who have legitimate shots at becoming good NHL players (and that's pretty uncertain re: Zhukenov). But a couple KHL seasons would provide a fairly decent indicator on what kind of pro potential this kid has.

So if the rumour's true, I'd just roll with it and see what happens. Keep in touch with the player and follow his progress. And be ready to offer him an NHL deal if and when he shows he deserves one.

This sounds way too sober.... I say we panic and maybe even riot...

This could explain why Dmitri Sokolov dropped so much last year in the draft. I really expected him to get snapped up in the 3rd round. But to go all the way down to the 7th round was way off. At least to me.

LOL - the thread title makes it seem like it's some shocking headline out of the blue with huge consequences for the franchise. 

Title should have been, "Mid-Round pick with mediocre chances of making NHL chooses to play at home".  That's IF, and it's a big if, it's even true. 

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Don't we have to sign him within 2 years of being drafted?  (Honest Question...)

Regardless its a good play on his part. We would have to give him the clause that gives him the right to walk if he's not in the NHL. To return. Same as Tryamkin. Because the KHL pays way more than the AHL portion of an ELC.

In the end its up to him to earn a shot in any case. He's not there yet.

Not a bad decision if it's true.  The Canucks will be full of young players, Utica will be full of other prospects and journeyman players.... I have no idea about the status of the ECHL farm team.  An additional year in the CHL won't be very helpful either.

That just leaves the KHL.  He gets to go back for some home cooking and can potentially earn good money than in the minors.

Archived