The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most outrageously overrated ex-canucks dman in history?

apollo

14 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

I didn't mind Aaron Rome, most overrated dman in my eyes was Yannick Weber. That year he scored like 11 goals, everyone was hyping him up. I thought he was utter garbage. Turns out i was right

Who was Weber's D-Partner then? Bartkowski. Where is Weber now? In Nashville sweeping Chicago. And where ist Bartkowski?

5 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Proof that 4.20 can be every day if you put your mind to it. 

i dont smoke weed and hamhuis was never worth 4.5 mill he was a bum to scared to hit because he as worried he might get a concussion. No offense no grit did you  notice how bad dallas was this yr lol

3 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I think there has been a few but the most recent was yesterday or the day before in the proposal section... There were extras involved I believe a first going with Tanev and a second coming back with Marner which while being not as offside as Tanev alone for Marner would definitely not come close to value. 

we probably shouldn't be using the proposal section as a rule stick for the general concensus of cdc users lol.

I know when I make proposals there is often  a lot of decent.  we too often get fixed on acquiring a player or moving a player and often lose sight of fair value. 

deals take a lot of work no doubt. I think of the proposal section more as a fun banter or idea throwing arena.  but maybe that's just me lol.  I love some of the troll like proposals we see on there lol.  marner is likely untouchable so any proposal is likely null.

What is with the Tryamkin hate Apollo? What's not to love about his game?  And this only a year and a bit of sample size?

Its one thing to be butt hurt about him leaving, but its another to say he was overrated. He proved all the critics wrong. He came into camp not in the best condition, so he had to not only work on himself physically, but had to overcome a bad first impression with the coach too. And WD was a hard man to please for rookies.

There are, sadly, so many overrated defensemen in our sorry past. Overrated by fans as well as management. Which is why we have never landed a true #1 D and that has indirectly resulted in never winning a Cup. From Jovo, to Hamhuis, to Edler, fans were set up for someone else.

26 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

we probably shouldn't be using the proposal section as a rule stick for the general concensus of cdc users lol.

I know when I make proposals there is often  a lot of decent.  we too often get fixed on acquiring a player or moving a player and often lose sight of fair value. 

deals take a lot of work no doubt. I think of the proposal section more as a fun banter or idea throwing arena.  but maybe that's just me lol.  I love some of the troll like proposals we see on there lol.  marner is likely untouchable so any proposal is likely null.

Completely agree and i will throw in my two cents on those proposals but I do not mean to generalize all of CDC that is for sure and apologize if it came off that way.

16 hours ago, apollo said:

First and foremost... Let me tell you something. 

The current Canuck d-man are all gems. Absolute gems! No overly hyped up guy. All underrated, especially Sbisa and Pedan.  

How about ex Canucks? Who do you guys think was the most overrated and why? 

Sami Salo? Nope, definitely not him. I'd say he was probably the most underrated of all time in terms of dman. Or at least top 3 canucks history... 

Mattias Ohlund? Not a chance! 

How about Aaron Rome? No way... The Romer is underrated and innocent! Was discriminated against in 2011! 

Keith Carney or Nikita Tryamkin IMO. Easy. Hands down. Never liked either to be honest. Both hyped up way too much. 

Pissed at Tryamkin because he left to return to the country he's lived in his whole life? Rome was a plug on the best of days.

Tryamkin is still a talented young defenseman who has a career ahead of him. He made a personal choice to leave the NHL entirely. Anyone who slights him for that needs to put down the hanky and grow up. And Sbisa is a decent defenseman, I wouldn't say a gem, but decent.

7 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Garrison from day one. I've never seen a shoot first defenseman who was so bad at shooting before. Killed every single zone possession with that bomb of his.

Jiri Slegr?  When he took a shot from the point, the screening forwards all ducked and covered - he had no idea where that rocket was going, but head-high was a good bet

16 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Jim Benning

16 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Dale Tallon

16 hours ago, on the cycle said:

Erik Gudbranson......haha only joke

16 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Keith Ballard.

The 'Raymond, Ballard, 1st for [insert superstar player name here]' proposals speak for itself. ;)

15 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Matt Bartkowski. 

Lots of good answers. And that itself is worrying. Too many guys have come to Vancouver and been disappointing. You'd think that by now the Vancouver fan base would be immunized against hype to a greater extent than it is.

But there have been some guys who exceeded expectations. Salo did. So did Ehrhoff. I think Tryamkin was doing very well and I hope he comes back down the road -- maybe after the front office is fixed up. I still think Benning should move over to VP-Player Development and the team should bring in a guy with a strong managerial skill set as GM -- like Krueger.

Man... what a bunch of haters... 14 people got their panties in a bunch with the minuses eh... 

At the end of the day, this is by far the single most glorious franchise in the history of entertainment. If you aren't with us... then you're against us. Neketa obviously isn't with us. Kid had an entitled punk attitude from the start. Wouldn't go down to the minors and earn his stripes... was liking our oppositions instagram posts when they beat us... 16 AVG TOI and he's complained about ice time? You're a rookie. 

So glad he's gone. Worthless scum in my books. 

16 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Jiri Slegr?  When he took a shot from the point, the screening forwards all ducked and covered - he had no idea where that rocket was going, but head-high was a good bet

Wasn't old enough to know him, started following the NHL around '07.

40 minutes ago, Googlie said:

LOL - people give a hard time about Edler & his shot from the point.....Slegr, for a while, never could seem to hit the net (though I think he did manage to clock one of his teammates that stood in front of the net (when Slegr played for another team).

Ticked me off that the time he actually managed to hit the net was against Team fricken' Canada (he scored on that shot).  Tied the game & we lost the final in a shootout.

At least that's how I remember it.....

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

i dont smoke weed and hamhuis was never worth 4.5 mill he was a bum to scared to hit because he as worried he might get a concussion. No offense no grit did you  notice how bad dallas was this yr lol

In his prime Hamhuis was one of the masters of the hip check. He dished out some of the bigger quality hits on the team through those years. As for quantity, his hit totals are low (mind you still over 1 per a game over his career) due to the fact that he plays a very sound defensive game with his stick and doesn't always require the body. The guy has averaged over 22 minutes of ice time a night over his career and came out plus 74 (with little offense like you mentioned). You must be new to the canucks to think hes overratted, because only at the tail end did his play slip below fantastic.

3 hours ago, canuktravella said:

Hamhuis 2011-12:

37 pts

55.1% corsi

29.9% offensive zone starts / 47% relative to ozone

+29

Hard minutes, elite two way defenseman, outstanding possession numbers, very good offensive production.

Sorry, but not a 'bum' - and worth far more than his cap hit.

Christian Ehrhoff is probably the most over-rated Canucks defenseman I can think of.

People here naming guys like Murzyn etc are missing the key point - their rating.  Who ever considered Murzyn all-that?  No one.

Ehrhoff was a complimentary D that fit well in a stacked lineup with a deep forward group and blueline.

He. like the Sedins, could be crafted ideal, opportune minutes in which they could play to their strengths and produce.

However, take Ehrhoff out of that context and he's an average NHL defenseman at best - as was flushed out with his 10 year contract (over-rated) and eventual buyout (didn't translate that well without the supporting cast in Vancouver - not unlike Cody Hodgson, who looked good between elite two way third liners like Higgins and Hansen, but otherwise, not so good....)

Ehrhoff was one of those guys that fed off playing with the Sedins - and then cashed in big time.

But he was a situational player - decent puck mover, good powerplay quarterback who was very good at walking the line and getting pucks through - but when it came to defending, facing difficult matchups, etc - not really that good.  Not worth a 10 year deal, etc.   Gillis was right to let him walk.

8 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

With all the hate that he gets for being a complementary, poor-man's top pairing D-man when he logs big minutes, I'd think he's underrated if anything on CDC.  

Media always views him as an asset that would fit on other teams' top pairs, so while he's not a top dog and he doesn't do one thing spectacularly (he does make blunders too and doesn't put up too many points) the fact is that he's there to anchor the blue line with Tanev and he munches up minutes that our young guys simply aren't ready to take up. On a transitioning team that's pretty invaluable if you ask me (as is the potential high return we can net for him in trades). Plus I want him to be my boyfriend and he's a terrible defenceman. 

Yeah I guess your right, it's not like he was ever compared to Lidstrom, valued at a 1st + a prospect, or still referred to as a great top defence by uneducated radio hosts.

go cry into your Edler jersey

17 hours ago, nzan said:

Lumme.

Nobody's said Lumme. Everybody loves him cause of his scoring and sick dangles, I couldn't deal with him constantly coughing up the puck. I know I'm in the minority but I never liked him.

I remember when lumme first came to the canucks and how unbelievably awful he was in his own end coughing ip the puck. And pat quinn would just keep throwing him out there and he eventually settled down. He was never great at that aspect of his game but i loved the way he played. One of my altime favorite players. 

He owes alot to pat quinn as far as im concerned 

23 hours ago, apollo said:

First and foremost... Let me tell you something. 

The current Canuck d-man are all gems. Absolute gems! No overly hyped up guy. All underrated, especially Sbisa and Pedan.  

How about ex Canucks? Who do you guys think was the most overrated and why? 

Sami Salo? Nope, definitely not him. I'd say he was probably the most underrated of all time in terms of dman. Or at least top 3 canucks history... 

Mattias Ohlund? Not a chance! 

How about Aaron Rome? No way... The Romer is underrated and innocent! Was discriminated against in 2011! 

Keith Carney or Nikita Tryamkin IMO. Easy. Hands down. Never liked either to be honest. Both hyped up way too much. 

On these forums, that's easy - Corrado.

Not saying he's bad, just overrated.

regards,  G.

Archived