The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

Every coach has to start somewhere. Sutter was never gonna come here. We are not a playoff team at this time. Green is signing a 4 year deal so that should give him sufficient time to work with the kids and give it his best shot. 

It's not a slam dunk that he turns it around. He could fail and then we are back to square one. The key is the development of guys like Boeser, Juolevi, Virtanen and this year's pick. If they can turn into prime time players then Green has a shot in succeeding. If those kids fall flat on their faces then we are looking at many years before we are relevant again. 

10 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

All those teams had significant pieces for those experienced coaches to mould. We are not even close to that level yet. Maybe in 3 years we'll have a stocked cupboard of prospects and they'll need a experienced coach.  Coaches don't last in this market and Greens' time is already ticking. 

1 hour ago, TheSecretIsMe said:

There's been one other time that I wasn't 100% on board with management decisions, the first time was the Shink trade and this would be the second time. I don't see how Linden, Benning, and Green can compete with the likes of Mclellan, Chiarelli, and Nicholson/MacT or Shanahan, Babcock, and Lamoriello. I hope I'm wrong again, I'd love to see Travis Green turn our rookies into stars and Benning continue to draft well, but I feel like there's a piece missing at the highest level, a true veteran leader (TOR has 3..smh).

Edmonton, Toronto and Chicago have great leadership groups, however none of those leaders are without a contract. I'm not saying Linden, Benning and Green are anywhere near those levels, but honestly who do you suggest?

2 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

I agree. Crawford had the Canucks playing high tempo entertaining hockey. If only he had a goalie of the Luongo, Schneider or Millers ilk back then. That team would have made a cup finals I'm fairly certain

Crawford would have a completely different group of players then, could he get the same from this years group if he got the job?

17 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Crawford would have a completely different group of players then, could he get the same from this years group if he got the job?

Very good question. I have a hard time saying he would get to the same heights with this current group. However the Canucks were a terrible team when Crawford took over and he did get them going in the right direction. It took a couple years but by 2002 they were a very good team. I am going to pull for Green 100% as I think he's earned the chance to try to get this team back on track.

Go Green!

10 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

Coaches to lead rebuilds in past 15 years: McClellan - EDM, Babcock - TOR, Quenville - CHI, Sutter - LA, Hitchcock - STL ...none are Rookies

Anyone want to convince me that hiring Green is a good idea when there are plenty of experienced cup winning coaches available? 

What amazing is ther have only been 5 rebuilds in the last 15 years.....

Or maybe this is cherry picking facts. 

Lets face the facts people, how many veteran cup winning coaches would want to come and coach our roster? If Quenville got fired and we hired him we would still be a bottomdweller in this league. The fact is we dont have enough nhl players, when Megna, Sutter and Chaput are your third line you arent going to win many games no matter who is coaching.

Give the guy a chance, I remember these forums praising green for taking an AHL team with little skill and talent to the Calder Cup and continuing to be competitive.

Now he is our head coach and suddenly everybody hates the guy before he has even coached a single NHL game for us, and it is likely 90% of you have never watched a Utica Comes game. People forget how he turned Baerstschi from a zero confidence broken prospect to a guy who is pushing to be a legit top 6 player. 

Green would not have been my first choice, but he has worked hard and earned his shot. I am excited to see what he tries, you may have been disinterested in how he coached Utica, but thats the AHL and this is the NHL. From what I have seen, he has not been a one system guy, he coached different systems in Portland than he did in Utica, so its not unreasonable to think he will try new things in Vancouver. New players, new staff and a new experience may inspire new styles of coaching.

No matter who we hired I would expect us to be a bottom team again so lets give the guy a chance before we let his official hiring start off with a bunch of negativity and pessimism.

Heres hoping the team and players improve under Green. I am rooting for your success!

I recall an interview from Oct or Nov, when we sent Rodin down for conditioning thinking he was still good to go. Green was asked about Rodin, and shared his excitement, saying something along the lines of "we haven't had too many guys down in Utica with that kind of skill". He then went on to list Baertschi and Conacher (from the cup run), but outside of that in his tenure in Utica he hasn't really had prolific AHL scorers to work with. That in itself is impressive.

I'm happy with this signing. My dream scenario would've been Crow as head coach and Green as his assistant. It'll be interesting to hear what type of style he wants his team to play and what type of identity he wants his team to have.

What i want to hear is a fast paced team that can play any style of hockey the opposition wants to play like the Ducks. That means some size and toughness, speed and skill. not too much to ask :P 

11 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Would have rather us went to the vet Marc Crawford.

Nothing against Green, but I want someone who has 'been there, done that' working with the rookies.

I don't like the idea of another rookie coach, leading the way for a bunch of rookies.  

Green is good for me.  His work with a fairly weak Utica team on the past few years has been impressive. 

Looking to see who he brings in as assistants. I was disappointed that Lidster was fired, thought he did very well with the d core. They weren't the problem. 

That may may have played a role in Trymakins departure.  

Gallant was taken and I don't know if Crow would want to come back to Vancouver. 

10 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't expect any coach to take this team to a cup at this point.

My issue with Green at this point is that he really hasn't developed any impact pro players so he doesn't have this track record of earning it like people are saying. Which players have become impact - or even tweener - NHL players under his watch? 

How about Markstrom?  Calder Cup finalist under Green's watch

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I recall an interview from Oct or Nov, when we sent Rodin down for conditioning thinking he was still good to go. Green was asked about Rodin, and shared his excitement, saying something along the lines of "we haven't had too many guys down in Utica with that kind of skill". He then went on to list Baertschi and Conacher (from the cup run), but outside of that in his tenure in Utica he hasn't really had prolific AHL scorers to work with. That in itself is impressive.

I would like to see Rodin get another shot.

At the end of the day, if Green deploys the young guns, and puts them in positions to succeed. Most of the fans will be happy, even if we finish in the basement again. If we are going to lose, I'd rather have the kids be given a shot, rather than AHL plugs getting all of the ice time.

12 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Saw this on twitter:

John Cooper?

Archived