The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Patrik Sundstrom also tied Hlinka's record back in '82-'83 with 23 for the season. 

Hope and pray Petey stays healthy. Lots of games left after the All-Star break.

Interesting. The data I had didn't count Sundstrom as a centre for that year, but more research shows that he played both RW and C that year.

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Patrick Sundstrom had some very impressive games back then and most of his scoring came while he was playing center.

Yeah, from what I can tell, his rookie year was the only year he played on the wing at all.

30 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

So, my 2nd post on the forum. Ive followed EP40 in the SHL and its exciting to see the things he did there works exactly the same in the NHL. The way he has developed these last 2 years is astounding and i wouldnt be surprised if he gets 80-90 points this year as a 20 y old rookie.  He looked a bit static at times (off timing just a bit) and did some bad turnovers but also some amazing plays as well. The thing is, he is constantly trying to improve himself and people are already amazed of what he is capable of today. This is what will make him a superstar. My guess is he will be even better the 2nd half of the season and omg how good he will be in a few years. EP and Boeser has all the potential in the world to be an all-star duo for many years to come. incredibly exciting. 

If he plays the rest of the games in the season, he's on pace for 71 games and 80 points.

• Upvote 1

I noticed that Pettersson's on pace for only 10 PIM on the season by my calculations. Might he be in contention for the Lady Byng as well?

Here's how he compares to the stiffest competition so far:

E. Pettersson, C, 39 games, 44 points, 6 PIM

S. Monahan, C, 50 games, 61 points, 8 PIM

A. Matthews, C, 34 games, 42 points, 2 PIM

M. Duchene, C, 40 games, 46 points, 6 PIM

M. Rielly, D, 48 games, 48 points, 4 PIM

A. Barkov, C, 47 games, 44 points, 2 PIM

N. Schmidt, D, 30 games, 17 points, 0 PIM

At this rate, I think Matthews, Monahan, Duchene, and Rielly are probably the only players who are ahead of him.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I noticed that Pettersson's on pace for only 10 PIM on the season by my calculations. Might he be in contention for the Lady Byng as well?

At this rate, I think Matthews, Monahan, Duchene, and Rielly are probably the only players who are ahead of him.

Give it to Schmidt lol. Wins lady Bing after being suspended 1/4 Of the season lol 

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Give it to Schmidt lol. Wins lady Bing after being suspended 1/4 Of the season lol 

To be fair, it had nothing to do with his conduct on the ice. I only included him because he has the best production of any player with 0 PIM and that oughta at least garner some attention.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Wow! A defenceman that never takes a penalty? Either he doesn't try or the opposition doesn't get the puck very often when he is on the ice. 

2 hours ago, khay said:

Wow! A defenceman that never takes a penalty? Either he doesn't try or the opposition doesn't get the puck very often when he is on the ice. 

Chris Tanev never has had more than 14pim in a year, I always thought he should be a candidate but I don't think a defenseman has ever won the award, atleast going back to the days of Gretzky, which is odd.  I think it's harder for a defenseman to do his job without taking a penalty than it is for a forward.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The LB is NOT a trophy for who gets the most points with the least penalty minutes.    It takes into account overall respect for the game and true sportsmanship as well.   It is almost unheard of for a rookie to even garner votes given it typically is awarded for a body of work that was even a nudge better in the award season.   

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Chris Tanev never has had more than 14pim in a year, I always thought he should be a candidate but I don't think a defenseman has ever won the award, atleast going back to the days of Gretzky, which is odd.  I think it's harder for a defenseman to do his job without taking a penalty than it is for a forward.

That's the crazy part and makes this award somewhat stupid. I think Brian Campbell won but yeah i can't remember any other dmen  winning it ever. You can't be a dman and not take penalties! How did Lidstrom not ever win this.... cause he's a dman.

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Do we really want on of our players winning the Lady Byng?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Do we really want on of our players winning the Lady Byng?  

I remember a number of years ago the guy playing wing with Lindros in Philly... (renberg i think) was told he might be in the running for Lady Byng. So he says "oh no, i will have to take a few cheap slashing penalties to get away from that" lmao!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The most outstanding stat line for EP40 is his 28%sp.  82 shots and 23 g.  On pace for 45 over 82 games.