The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Didn't expect him to put these sorts of numbers up so quickly, certainly promising. Scoring at the SHL level is the first big step, if he can keep this up consistently I would love to see what he can do on an NA sized rink next season in the AHL. We might see him sooner than later at this rate.

28 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Didn't expect him to put these sorts of numbers up so quickly, certainly promising. Scoring at the SHL level is the first big step, if he can keep this up consistently I would love to see what he can do on an NA sized rink next season in the AHL. We might see him sooner than later at this rate.

Err, if he scores at anywhere over .0 PPG at SHL, he is more than likely to be ready to make the jump at NHL level. But it will be hard for him, because we are not going to go into next pre-season with just Bo-Sutter-Granlund-Gagner as our centre-men. The Sedins will likely get atleast a year at rebate if they want to or we will fill that spot through free agency before pre-season, thus likely making it hard for Elias to 'cement himself'. But if he has just the right amount of luck at that point (assuming all this comes to pass), he should be similar to Brock in seizing his moments.

15 hours ago, thrago said:

Morrison was better then I think a lot of people think. He basically shouldered all the defensive liability of that line which must have hampered his production.  Bertuzzi and Naslund where great offensive players but left a lot to be desired on the defensive side which Morrison had to make up for.

+1 because Mo was twice the leader that Naslund or Bertuzzi. Mo accepted that winning required a 200' game the other two did not. My opinion of Naslund and Bertuzzi nose dived when I saw them repeatedly throwing team mates under the bus like Cloutier for their own failures. When a team cannot get past the 2nd round there is a reason. Never agreed with the way Marc Crawford did not hold them to account.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We know he can produce in a large sheet of ice but the times he's played in NA ice he's struggled. It will be a good test for him.

Edited by Odd.

The player many were fawning over in the Summer Showcase and saying is better than Petersson was Lias Andersson.  He has 2 points in 6 games in the SHL for Frolunda.  I don't know if he has been injured or benched or why he missed games (team has played 11) but he only has 2 points.  

Petersson has 8 points in 9 games.  I have no doubt that they will both be excellent players but I am glad we have Petersson, he seems to have other-worldly vision.  That cannot be taught.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

The player many were fawning over in the Summer Showcase and saying is better than Petersson was Lias Andersson.  He has 2 points in 6 games in the SHL for Frolunda.  I don't know if he has been injured or benched or why he missed games (team has played 11) but he only has 2 points.  

Petersson has 8 points in 9 games.  I have no doubt that they will both be excellent players but I am glad we have Petersson, he seems to have other-worldly vision.  That cannot be taught.

I am a huge Lias Andersson fan. I think he is the next Zetterberg. He plays a fantastic 200 foot game and is a more industrial player than Pettersson. Pettersson has the higher ceiling, but Andersson can step onto any 3rd line in the NHL and not look out of place

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

The 2pts were goals scored in a game on Oct 18th.  With just 6 games played, he may have had an injury or perhaps got a late start coming back from Ranger's camp.

9 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Err, if he scores at anywhere over .0 PPG at SHL, he is more than likely to be ready to make the jump at NHL level. But it will be hard for him, because we are not going to go into next pre-season with just Bo-Sutter-Granlund-Gagner as our centre-men. The Sedins will likely get atleast a year at rebate if they want to or we will fill that spot through free agency before pre-season, thus likely making it hard for Elias to 'cement himself'. But if he has just the right amount of luck at that point (assuming all this comes to pass), he should be similar to Brock in seizing his moments.

Whether they're back is dependent on if the Canucks want them back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

I am a huge Lias Andersson fan. I think he is the next Zetterberg. He plays a fantastic 200 foot game and is a more industrial player than Pettersson. Pettersson has the higher ceiling, but Andersson can step onto any 3rd line in the NHL and not look out of place

But we want a 1st line elite center not a 3rd liner. Pettersson has the skills to be our go to guy. 

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

But we want a 1st line elite center not a 3rd liner. Pettersson has the skills to be our go to guy. 

I realize that, I like the Pettersson pick. I was just making the point that Andersson has a higher floor. He should have made the Rangers this year

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Nothing wrong pointing that out. I'd say there were a number of guys available at 5 that have higher floors/are safer bets than Pettersson.

That being said, I'm glad GMJB went for a home run swing with Pettersson.

I followed Pettersson pre-draft and wanted us to pick him if we weren't in on the Hischer/Patrick sweepstakes. When we dropped to 5th spot I was thinking this is the perfect spot to draft him. Glass has  the higher floor and would've been the safer pick, but Pettersson has a much higher ceiling and when he achieves that elite status, we will have our superstar. That's what this team needs. We don't need another "safe" second or third line guy that might pan out. I'm glad Jim reached for the stars on this one. I'm confident he will be our #1. We have guys like Bo, Guadette, Lind to be our middle to top guys. Pettersson is a sure fire top end talent we just need to be patient with him. I envision a top line of 

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser in the future, and praying for Dahlin to lead our backend if we're fortunate enough to draft him. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Canadian Clay said:

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/922475430770298882

petterson named to sweden u20 exhibition team. Good chance for a first look at their world juniors team

Yeah looking forward to this. I think with the likes of Dahlin, Boqvist, obviously Pettersson and a few other big names I wouldn't be surprised if Sweden were the favorites this year.