The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sedins were older and had great success in SHL too.   Look at the point totals of these to be Art Ross winners and that is the baseline in my mind.   Hyping EP past two lock for HOF players before he has played an NHL minute is fine, but don’t bash the poor kid when he doesn’t meet lofty projections that may be a bit optimistic and not aligned with history.

The Sedins had each other practically every game and they struggled against men. They never hit anything on the ice except each other. Elias has gone out and impressed other NHL players with many even saying they are excited to see what he becomes. The Sedins used each other to get points and Elias has himself. I am saying you could be right but I highly doubt  iSedin would have gotten the points they had if they we're not Twins. Imagine if Dhalin cracks the line up next year. He could get 40 points being in the shadows. I doubt the Canucks have any problems replacing the Sedins. Especially with Brock improving and Elias coming. Maybe a better comparison would be Forsberg he got 50 points in 47 games in the lock out shortened season. Elias has that touch. He will meet lofty projections. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cory40 said:

The Sedins had each other practically every game and they struggled against men. They never hit anything on the ice except each other. Elias has gone out and impressed other NHL players with many even saying they are excited to see what he becomes. The Sedins used each other to get points and Elias has himself. I am saying you could be right but I highly doubt  iSedin would have gotten the points they had if they we're not Twins. Imagine if Dhalin cracks the line up next year. He could get 40 points being in the shadows. I doubt the Canucks have any problems replacing the Sedins. Especially with Brock improving and Elias coming. Maybe a better comparison would be Forsberg he got 50 points in 47 games in the lock out shortened season. Elias has that touch. He will meet lofty projections. 

The NHL is hard.  I hope your optimism is rewarded.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I wonder if Pettersson's being a complete 200 foot player will lower his point totals, but make him a solid plus/minus guy?  I see him getting to 50, and being a plus player.  I think too many teams just let their young skilled guys play only for points, and don't get them to play the right way.  Ellias is about winning and being a complete player.  He's going to be a fabulous player!!!!

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'll have similar expectations as I had with Boeser this year. I'll consider a 35-40 point pace a 'good' rookie year on an iffy, rebuilding team.

Anything beyond that (as we were lucky to see with Boeser) will be gravy. Making the transition to the NHL is HARD. But I'd say there's a fairly good chance he exceeds my conservative expectations.

This. For me it's 30 points in the nhl or 50 in the AHL.

I'll be satisfied with either.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sedins were older and had great success in SHL too.   Look at the point totals of these to be Art Ross winners and that is the baseline in my mind.   Hyping EP past two lock for HOF players before he has played an NHL minute is fine, but don’t bash the poor kid when he doesn’t meet lofty projections that may be a bit optimistic and not aligned with history.

I think for EP, he's gonna be 40 points minimum this coming season. That's his baseline. 30 assists, playing with Brock and Bo? No probs. His hockey IQ is what's going to get him the points. Brock, if not for his injury, could've gotten 70+ points. I see Elias having at least a 40 point season with his lethal shot. There is lots of room for offense, since both Danny and Hank retired, and the three of Bo, Brock and Elias are  going to carry that offensive load. I wouldn't even be surprised if Elias hit close to 60 points in his first full season (barring injury, of course). 

Now, if he doesn't? I'd be ok with that too. There's a steep learning curve, and his body needs to also adjust to the physicality of the NHL game. I think if he's on a point per game pace the first 20-25 games, teams are going to attempt to focus and shut him down, and they'll target his physical frame. Curious to see how the team, and Pettersson in particular will react to that physical intensity. Will there be push back from him, and his teammates? 

We need to sign a Dorsett replacement. Line up as is, is looking for injuries to mount. Reaves (from Vegas) - let's get him signed, and Archibald too. Those two would be great fourth line players, and depth guys that protect our young offensively minded players. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'll have similar expectations as I had with Boeser this year. I'll consider a 35-40 point pace a 'good' rookie year on an iffy, rebuilding team.

Anything beyond that (as we were lucky to see with Boeser) will be gravy. Making the transition to the NHL is HARD. But I'd say there's a fairly good chance he exceeds my conservative expectations.

Yea. I think 35-40 points is achievable for Pettersson. Wouldnt' be surprised if he passed that quickly. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The NHL is hard.  I hope your optimism is rewarded.

We swing either way. Too negative, or too optimistic. I think, much like everything else in life, is going to be somewhere in the middle. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

I would not trade EP for the number 1 pick this year. Elias will be the point leader in the NHL very soon and will man the power play that will be deadly.

Might be too soon to make him the point leader in the NHL. Let's see how he does this season, before we anoint him leading the league in offensive categories. 

I'll be Mr. Lofty expectations and expect 65 points and the Calder.  Even 65 is kind of on the low side, anything lower than that means he likely got injured.  If he played all 82 games I would think 70+ points is more than doable.  I think he might be amongst the league leaders in PP points and I expect the Canucks to have at least a top 10 PP or perhaps a top 5.  I expected Boeser to produce this season and he did up until the wrist injury. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I'll be Mr. Lofty expectations and expect 65 points and the Calder.  Even 65 is kind of on the low side, anything lower than that means he likely got injured.  If he played all 82 games I would think 70+ points is more than doable.  I think he might be amongst the league leaders in PP points and I expect the Canucks to have at least a top 10 PP or perhaps a top 5.  I expected Boeser to produce this season and he did up until the wrist injury. 

losing 2 sedins is going to hurt the powerplay a hell of a lot more than gaining 1 rookie pettersson is going to help it. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Might be too soon to make him the point leader in the NHL. Let's see how he does this season, before we anoint him leading the league in offensive categories. 

It is an interesting question to debate? Not the lead the NHL portion.

Would we trade Pettersson for Dahlin? And Buffalo, from a needs standpoint, has Eichel, so would not partake I don't think. Probably not also because we have an emotional attachment already built up. But;

> Dahlin has been called the most heralded D prospect in the draft since Potvin?

> Pettersson just beat a 40 year old record as the most productive junior player in the history of Swedish hockey.

It is interesting!!!

I will love watching both Pettersson & Dahlin.  Both so electric!  

And it will be interesting how they compare with, say, with Austin Matthews?  With his size, and his capacity to make any play a fundamental one, to me he has the higher floor? But Pettersson & Dahlin have such dazzling skill! Surpassing him is within their reach IMO. EP is also proving to have a very complete game, one which trends to championships. He does not turn the puck over, back checks, has maturity, hounds the puck, competes hard & has a high motor.. EP looks like the player you win with!

I have not seen enough to know, but I suspect the same of Dahlin?  (That he competes on that level, is a very thorough two way player, is a winner.)

The real fun is how they will compete with McDavid? And the championship success of guys who just win championships. Like Toews, Bergeron, Crosby? And will McDavid join the discussion of ''winners?''

All just my thoughts! 

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

While I agree we should temper our expectations a bit, you need to remember that Pettersson annihilated the SHL. He didn't just have a "decent" or "pretty good" year, he made that league his bitch! He was way better than the Sedins were in the SHL. He broke Forsberg's rookie record, as well as Kent Nilsson's record that had stood for over 40 years. There is definitely reasons to be excited for him.

• Cheers 1

Full credit to the “reasonable expectations” crowd but if Elias putts along to a 35-40 point season the fan base will need to be talked back from the ledge.  People will be (are) expecting Boeser-like success.

Typing this out to kind of remind myself, for what it’s worth.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Full credit to the “reasonable expectations” crowd but if Elias putts along to a 35-40 point season the fan base will need to be talked back from the ledge.  People will be (are) expecting Boeser-like success.

Typing this out to kind of remind myself, for what it’s worth.

A catharsis?  Interesting. 

Well, Elias is going to get 60+, and win the Calder.  

• Upvote 2